Diablo vs Superchips

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
From expierence I have gone through my old 1/4 mile info. This is not to start shit! (I REPEAT THIS NOT TO START ANYTHING)

After talking to a fellow 03 owner who is in search of a new chip/tuner We were talking and I was going through old info from my eaton with a 2.8 upper . I was comparing the chips I had a superchip and a diablo. comparing the chips and the runs I had. I found on average that I had a greater mph in the 1/8 & 1/4 with the superchip. I'm not saying the diablo chips are inferior in any way. THis info is a over a year old. these were my findings in runs at teh same track on different days with similiar 60 fts the diablo was anywhere from 2-4 mph slower in the 1/8 mile and 1-2 mph slower in the 1/4.
For comparisom

Diablo superchip
60 ft 1.92 1.93

1/8 7.66 7.63
1/8 mph 93.8 96.98

1/4 mp 120.4 122.9
1/4 11.87 11.72

This is old info but after talking to the the owner about this info he wants to make sure he gets the right chip/tuner for his setup. Remeber this is over a year old and I am sure tunes have improved, but to Red&Black SVT I believe ya because I was doing the same back then. Each car is different and each car is driven different, nothing can ever be duplicated, no same chip will get the same results in a different car but repeating as close to is what we all want or better. That was then this now. both companies are great and have great products so plese don't take this in the wrong way, yes I know my MPH was freaky but hey my car has always been called a freak!, and they call my Crazy so what else is new just for the heck of it http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18028 there is the link to a old thread about my car. Anything is possible and with people getting faster with the eatons it is great to see. The KB's is only a matter of time so enjoy if anyone wants more info I have all the timeslips logged in my log book so let me know.:beer: :rockon:

jonas

Established Member
Quite honestly. The bottom line is going to be the tuner and not the chip.

We cana rgue all day but you can have the latest and greated revolution chip and some dumbass mailorder company send it off without it being on the dyno and get owned by an autologic tuner on the fly tuning your car with what is a technically inferior chip (only access one bank of memory on the eec)

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Matt you do bring up a good point i remember watching your car make 476HP SAE with a JDM Superchip than you dynoed a new Diablo race tune and your car only made 459HP SAE but your torque numbers was pretty close if i recall. That would explain why you saw a noticeable increase in your MPH between them.

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
Originally posted by jonas
Quite honestly. The bottom line is going to be the tuner and not the chip.

We cana rgue all day but you can have the latest and greated revolution chip and some dumbass mailorder company send it off without it being on the dyno and get owned by an autologic tuner on the fly tuning your car with what is a technically inferior chip (only access one bank of memory on the eec)

Agreed............:rockon:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I went thru 3 Diablo chips and tunes that turned my car into an unmanageable mess @ high boost applications. They were not mail order tunes either. That's not to say it's a bad chip..it just didn't work for me and i gave up spending my money on them. I have no problem cutting my loses and moving on..afterall, it's my car, my money. I still have my Diablosport Revolution flip chip that no one wants to buy.

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Prior to recent changes in the tuning industry superchips tunes were all done by superchips and diablo all done by diablo. "tuners" had little to do with the outcome aside from how many times they were willing to have superchip/diablo modify the tune for them to download.

However, with the recent changes, superchips and fordchip have "combined forces" and are now using the same (new)software package where their dealers have full control. Autologic and diablo have also "combined forces" and both are now using the new revolution software and tuners can have full control. This is a pretty recent change and now more than ever the tuner plays the biggest role in how good your tune will be.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Xplicit, I am one of the designers of the new Superchips website, we made the graphics and the backend.

If you want to see what the new SuperchipsCustom chips can do, message me. I can get you a chip no problem at all, no cost, just an honest assessment of how it works for you.

The new site is www.SuperchipsCustom.com although its apperance has drastically changed due to all the content that was added, and someone putting up a different logo.

Send me a PM :)

Last edited:

Undy

Established Member
My experiences with superchips were..

01 Lightning--- dangerously lean with plug electrodes
broken/melted off.. tuner said.. must be
water in the gas... yeah, right..

03 Cobra------- another dangerously lean tune. Bad tune
Superchips said that program wasn't even
supposed to be released due to it being bad.
The same tuner wanted to bill me for shipping
to and from due to his mistake. I told him to
shove it.. Another lesson learned.

I finally went with Diablo. My tunes have been safer and yielded
much more HP. Best thing is I don't have to deal with a shiester tuner anymore!!:D

Just my experiences...

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Lets leave tuners out of this I am just talking about the chips for comparison reasons, we all can say my tuner is better than yours.

Xplict let me know how that turns out, curious to know
I was comparing too chips I had that were not made on the dyno for me they were given to me at a track. I am comparing the data I accquired between the two chips I am not trying to hurt any tuners but not just I have had these results not to name names but a few of my fellow close 03 friends have as well. Not saying it couldn't be vice versa as with undy, but just aying from my observations.

Tech. speaking what makes the chips different?
lets hear everyones opinion:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by ralphy1798
The chips do the same thing, its ALL ABOUT the tuner!!!

There is not even a question!
Agreed! :thumbsup:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
The chips do the same thing, its ALL ABOUT the tuner!!!

There is not even a question!

Exactly. Chips are pretty much blank pieces of paper on which tuners write a code. The computer only does what the code tells it to do and not by the brand of the chip. I think the reason you see a variance between Superchips and Diablo is simple. Tuners are usually equipped to handle Superchips OR Diablo programming. So it would be hard to do a fair comparison between a great Superchip tuner (like JDM) and a poor Diablo tuner (I wont even say who) when clearly it isn't the chip itself but rather the tuner's skill. I havn't yet seen a tuner who can program both brands of chips.

I would like to see a tuner who can write both programs equally then put them on the dyno and the track and see what happens. I bet it would be the same or very close!

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by HAVEIGHT 13R
Lets leave tuners out of this I am just talking about the chips for comparison reasons, we all can say my tuner is better than yours.

Xplict let me know how that turns out, curious to know
I was comparing too chips I had that were not made on the dyno for me they were given to me at a track. I am comparing the data I accquired between the two chips I am not trying to hurt any tuners but not just I have had these results not to name names but a few of my fellow close 03 friends have as well. Not saying it couldn't be vice versa as with undy, but just aying from my observations.

Tech. speaking what makes the chips different?
lets hear everyones opinion:beer:

If ya don't like the answer, don't ask the question..

BTW.. The names were withheld to protect the guilty!

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
When it comes to your motor and chips...I think of an old saying my buddy always used on gun control lunes...Don't fear the gun...... fear the nut behind the bolt. I have had bad dealings with certain tuners in the past, with autologic and diablo chips (both were tuned on the dyno, not mail order) The truth be told.....the amazon mail order tune on my current diablo chip is dead nuts on and the best one I have had yet. The tune was conservative and yielded great numbers.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Diablo chip right now, but in April Jerry W. from Superchips SCT will be visiting a local dyno for an entire weekend. Plus there will be Mustang Enthusiast magazine coverage so hopefully I get my car in the mag. Our Mustang club is sponsoring it. I'm anxious to see the difference. After I install my Apten blower I'm going to go back to the dyno (same one) for a before and after comparison. Then in April I'll get another set of numbers with the Superchips custom tune. I'm hoping that their tune will get me to the magic 500 mark.
;-)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I have a Diablo chip right now, but in April Jerry W. from Superchips SCT will be visiting a local dyno for an entire weekend. Plus there will be Mustang Enthusiast magazine coverage so hopefully I get my car in the mag. Our Mustang club is sponsoring it. I'm anxious to see the difference. After I install my Apten blower I'm going to go back to the dyno (same one) for a before and after comparison. Then in April I'll get another set of numbers with the Superchips custom tune. I'm hoping that their tune will get me to the magic 500 mark.
;-)
If its the Jerry I am thinking of, hope you have better luck than I did. I drove 600 miles one way to have him tune my car during a big tuning event. I was the first car on dyno, 8 hours later I still did not have a drivable tune. I left and went home, total waste of $300 plus gas and my time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
If its the Jerry I am thinking of, hope you have better luck than I did. I drove 600 miles one way to have him tune my car during a big tuning event. I was the first car on dyno, 8 hours later I still did not have a drivable tune. I left and went home, total waste of $300 plus gas and my time.
Uh oh! I hope I fare better. What specific issues did you have with his attempting to do the tune?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I had gotten a couple mail order tunes from him which were OK but A/F was all over and power was a bit low. I found out he was going to be in the midwest so drove to see him. Got off dyno and right on tip in, car would fall on its face and then suddenly LURCH to life, making even the smoothest shift impossible. Why his mail order tune worked and his current tune didnt I have no idea and I had been up 24 hours prior to getting there. Having to screw around and wait while everyone else got tuned didnt sit well. I found out from another local guy who went, his tune didnt get straighted out till 3am in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread