diagnose this Spec3+ Please (Problems)

dpancer

Established Member
Greetings all,

I’m trying to reach out to as many individuals that I feel have superior knowledge than I do with clutch issues to help me diagnose. I hope you can spare some time and help me out.
This clutch has about 800-900 miles on it. I have always had shifting issues with this clutch.

I’ll try to best describe the issues, simply.
I have always had trouble shifting since my spec install. Biggest issue is that at times at a light it’s hard to get it into 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. Shifting to 2nsd at high rpms (sometimes) is a problem. More recently I got locked in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] after being in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and then stopping at a light. I had to fight with it just a bit and im pretty sure pumping the clutch in a few times helped to release it. This happed maybe 4 times now.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a RXT now after dropping the trans yesterday. Yesterday’s initial goal was to replace the clutch fork, TOB, and Pivot ball with new replacements. The TOB was completely shot the and the original fork and pivot ball had quite a bit of wear on it.

The following link contains pictures of the clutch components and flywheel.
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/o5cvdkxdbujcpir/AAAlJy0Lt9skvao2P4TVZyaAa?dl=0

you can see some uneven wear paterns, and spots all over every surface. There also a few "smooth" groves in a few places. I say smooth because, for instance, if you drag your nail over them (tracing the radius of the disk) your nail does not get snagged by any of them. Rather, you just feel like your going over small bumps.
There were, however, some sharp jagged groves as well.

What im really trying to gain from all this, which is my biggest worry, is to find out if the clutch was really the issue this whole time or if possibly there might be a problem with my transmission. I want to know if the wear pattern and marks on the clutch can be traced back to my shifting issues.

I’m also running
fidanza flywheel
steeda QR quadrant
MM Clutch pedal height adjuster
Freplay mod
Fiore FW adjuster
OEM cable

Hope you guys can help

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Without seeing a picture of the pressure plate and clutch assembly I am just guessing in the dark.

But it sounds like the clutch was not releasing completely. Could be a lot of causes.

Stretched cable not allowing enough travel to fully release the clutch.

Release working fine but a warped pressure plate needing abnormal travel to fully release.

Same but a bad clutch being the warped part.

Combination of all three things working together with each item singly being just barely in tolerance.

Also, check your flywheel for concentricity and trueness when you have it out.

I was chasing down a clutch problem for a friend once. It turned out to bee a little piece of thread lock from a previous installation getting stuck behind the flywheel making it "rock" slightly while turning. It thew everything else off.

centerforce

Established Member
The link you posted didnt seem to work for us, but there may be more than one issue at play here. Have you tried replacing the master cylinder? If the seal is failing, it will become increasingly difficult to get in and out of gear. If you are able to post some pictures of the pressure plate and flywheel, it will give us a better idea of what may be causing the uneven wear.

Last edited:

dpancer

Established Member
The link you posted didnt seem to work for us, but there may be more than one issue at play here. Have you tried replacing the master cylinder? If the seal is failing, it will become increasingly difficult to get in and out of gear. If you are able to post some pictures of the pressure plate and flywheel, it will give us a better idea of what may be causing the uneven wear.

pics are back up. This is a cable clutch, no master cylinder. I ended up ordering a new Mcleod RXT clutch yesterday. I still would like to compare the state of the clutch components to other people's experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread