Diagnostic software and tools to repair and maintain our shelby GT500'S: Ford IDS

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
After giving this some thought i believe it is possible for a 2013 to get the 2014 snake emblem in display. They both use the same IPC module. Everything is the same between the two dash displays and functions. I could load the 2014 IPC program onto a new module and put it in a 2013 GT500 to get the snake. Need a test car but I believe this could be done. It also may involve replacement of the instrument panel cluster (IPC). I will investigate more.
There's way to do this with the module in place in the car. Thing is, you need a special (in my case, home-made) cable to hook the VCM to the car. Basically, you start with an OBDII cable extender and remove the wires that allow the VCM to communicate over the CAN bus with the car but keep the rest. IDS tries and fails to identify the vehicle a few times, then it gives up and asks you for a VIN. You feed it a VIN for a car that has the features you want and then go to the "install new module" screen. Go through the work flow to the point where it says "install new module now" and remove the dummy cable so IDS can talk to the vehicle over CAN. When you hit "install" it installs the firmware for the VIN you gave it into the module in the car. There will be a VIN mismatch when it's finished, but Forscan can fix that.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
That would be an alternative if it works. Gives ppl an option if they have the equipment. Ive never done any hacking of the oem equipment except for whatever is stock oem firmware. It would save some money from buying a new module. I guess either would work. 2013-14 are all exactly the same so I dont see why either ways wouldnt work. Some folks i guess want the cobra instead of the mustang emblem in cluster instument panel. To each is own. Thanks for the tip jaj!

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
There's way to do this with the module in place in the car. Thing is, you need a special (in my case, home-made) cable to hook the VCM to the car. Basically, you start with an OBDII cable extender and remove the wires that allow the VCM to communicate over the CAN bus with the car but keep the rest. IDS tries and fails to identify the vehicle a few times, then it gives up and asks you for a VIN. You feed it a VIN for a car that has the features you want and then go to the "install new module" screen. Go through the work flow to the point where it says "install new module now" and remove the dummy cable so IDS can talk to the vehicle over CAN. When you hit "install" it installs the firmware for the VIN you gave it into the module in the car. There will be a VIN mismatch when it's finished, but Forscan can fix that.
JAJ do you know of anyone who has access with the pass code to enter engineering mode? From what i understand there are a plenty of things you can do in engineering mode.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Some folks are losing there digital gauges( Boost and AFR) when they go to a higher horsepower set up. I believe these calculations could possible be changed in engineering mode to accommadate there setup's.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Some folks are losing there digital gauges( Boost and AFR) when they go to a higher horsepower set up. I believe these calculations could possible be changed in engineering mode to accommadate there setup's.
That would be killer.
It would be interesting to see what the boost display references to display boost. And once we figure it out (I believe it uses the SIP sensor on the EGR) maybe we can hack the display to reference a boost gauge?
Ditto for a/f and/or ethanol content?
Or just drop the bucks on Motec :)
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
That would be killer.
It would be interesting to see what the boost display references to display boost. And once we figure it out (I believe it uses the SIP sensor on the EGR) maybe we can hack the display to reference a boost gauge?
Ditto for a/f and/or ethanol content?
Or just drop the bucks on Motec :)
-J
So i sought out for some intel on the engineering mode thru IDS. Its there I just need to find out how to get access, If possible!. I wish some Ford tech's could chime in on this thread and help us out. Im thinking there is info there pertaining how these calculations are done for our digital diplays. Im thinking these calculations can be played with so they work when we modify our cars. But im thinking james that Motec is still a superior PCM and full of more capabilities.....hands down! Its an great investment if your looking long term to build off it!!

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
That would be an alternative if it works. Gives ppl an option if they have the equipment. Ive never done any hacking of the oem equipment except for whatever is stock oem firmware. It would save some money from buying a new module. I guess either would work. 2013-14 are all exactly the same so I dont see why either ways wouldnt work. Some folks i guess want the cobra instead of the mustang emblem in cluster instument panel. To each is own. Thanks for the tip jaj!
My approach works - done it. That said, the engineering mode might give you more options, but I have no idea how to access it.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
My approach works - done it. That said, the engineering mode might give you more options, but I have no idea how to access it.
Thanks for your reply jaj.I meant to ask you if you have actually done this before and proven it works. So thanks for confirming and sharing this tip! I'm definitely going to give this a try. If you wouldnt mind sharing. How do you resolve the vin conflict in forscan. I personally never used forscan!

samw3002

Here is a list of access codes I discovered years ago...use at your own risk!
20170304_171833.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Thanks for your reply jaj.I meant to ask you if you have actually done this before and proven it works. So thanks for confirming and sharing this tip! I'm definitely going to give this a try. If you wouldnt mind sharing. How do you resolve the vin conflict in forscan. I personally never used forscan!
It took me a bit of time to reply because I was trying to figure out how I could give you a reply that was actually helpful. If you look at other forums like M6G there are long threads on how to use Forscan. For what you're doing, it's relatively easy as far as using it is concerned. The problem is figuring out what digits you have to change in order to fix a mismatched VIN.

The VIN is stored as a set of hexadecimal characters - hex is a counting system that computers use that counts to 16 rather than 10. Computers love it, but it gives people headaches. In the file that Forscan edits, the hex characters that represent the VIN are not in a nice row - they're usually spread across multiple rows.

Now, I've been messing with Forscan for the last five years and I've found some really useful resources out there. If you Google "Forscan for Explorer" you'll find some charts with the hex values for various modules in the Explorer. Thing is, the charts work for Mustangs as well as Explorers - same electronic modules, same code. So, to find out how to change the VIN in the module you're just updated, find the module in the table for the Explorer, find which strings of data contain the VIN and use Forscan replace the wrong VIN with the correct one. The easiest way to get the correct letters for your VIN is to make a backup copy of the module as-built file before you start. It'll have the right VIN, so it's just a matter of updating those few strings to fix the mismatch.

How's that - clear as mud, no doubt.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
It took me a bit of time to reply because I was trying to figure out how I could give you a reply that was actually helpful. If you look at other forums like M6G there are long threads on how to use Forscan. For what you're doing, it's relatively easy as far as using it is concerned. The problem is figuring out what digits you have to change in order to fix a mismatched VIN.

The VIN is stored as a set of hexadecimal characters - hex is a counting system that computers use that counts to 16 rather than 10. Computers love it, but it gives people headaches. In the file that Forscan edits, the hex characters that represent the VIN are not in a nice row - they're usually spread across multiple rows.

Now, I've been messing with Forscan for the last five years and I've found some really useful resources out there. If you Google "Forscan for Explorer" you'll find some charts with the hex values for various modules in the Explorer. Thing is, the charts work for Mustangs as well as Explorers - same electronic modules, same code. So, to find out how to change the VIN in the module you're just updated, find the module in the table for the Explorer, find which strings of data contain the VIN and use Forscan replace the wrong VIN with the correct one. The easiest way to get the correct letters for your VIN is to make a backup copy of the module as-built file before you start. It'll have the right VIN, so it's just a matter of updating those few strings to fix the mismatch.

How's that - clear as mud, no doubt.
Got it!! You've explained about as straight forward as one could!! Thanks alot JAJ for taking time out of your day to share this valuable info I really appreciate it !! I'm going to dig into it and hopefully be able to help some folks out on here that really want to enhance there 2013 to 14 cobra display.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Best OBD2 break out box i've used to help troubleshoot and diagnose PCM and ECU communication module failures:

Power Probe OBD 2 Break Out Box #PPECB

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Another device that could really help diagnose cylinder issue's as could be used in many other applications. Definitely on my gotta have it tool list.

MaxiVideo MV480​

MaxiVideo MV500​

MaxiVideo MV480.png

MaxiVideo MV500.png

Vividia ME-610X Joystick Articulating Videoscope

Vividia ME-610X Joystick Articulating Videoscope.jpg

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Great tool to have on hand for checking hot/cold spots. Excellent for checking your cooling system (Radiator, Heat exchanger as well as your hoses in/out for cooling effiency.

Intercomp Racing (Thermal Imager)

Thermal Imager [175000]​

Intercomp Racing thermal imager.jpg

Vividia T-38 IR Infrared Manual Focus Thermal Imaging Camera​

1634251390818.png

Attachments

• Seeing The Possibilities.pdf
    827.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Automotive Calculators from Wallace Racing​

[URL to unfurl="true"]http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm[/URL]
I’ve used this site for years. You can go down a rabbit hole for hours easily!
I still remember when I went Strange 9” and was debating 4.11s v:s 3.89. Finally Gcalled and Strange told me they had a new 4.0 ratio…..sold!!!
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve used this site for years. You can go down a rabbit hole for hours easily!
I still remember when I went Strange 9” and was debating 4.11s v:s 3.89. Finally Gcalled and Strange told me they had a new 4.0 ratio…..sold!!!
-J
LMAO......:ROFLMAO:. Glad to hear im not the only one to go down that rabbit hole for hours with wallace racing calculation site. It is resouceful thou. Just thought I'd share the site. Damn this is a small world.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: funny!

big dad

Established Member
I'm a retired Ford and GM Master Tech plus Toyota and Hyundai certified and I recently purchased a XTool D8 Bi directional scan tool. The D8 is dealer level in the things it covers and can do. There is a cheaper version the D7 that performs similar but not all functions, more for the DIYer. They both come with a 2 year warranty and 3 years of free updates, plus great tech support. It also covers just about everycar with OB2 capabilities, ever hear of a SKODA? The D7 is $500 and the D8 is $700. Very high quality scanner. The thing that surprised me is you can change the mileage in the dash if you have to replace the speedo. You have to register the scanner so don't get any ideas about breaking the law by changing the mileage, you will get caught if it is changed to indicate a lower reading. Check it out on YouTube if interested.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm a retired Ford and GM Master Tech plus Toyota and Hyundai certified and I recently purchased a XTool D8 Bi directional scan tool. The D8 is dealer level in the things it covers and can do. There is a cheaper version the D7 that performs similar but not all functions, more for the DIYer. They both come with a 2 year warranty and 3 years of free updates, plus great tech support. It also covers just about everycar with OB2 capabilities, ever hear of a SKODA? The D7 is $500 and the D8 is $700. Very high quality scanner. The thing that surprised me is you can change the mileage in the dash if you have to replace the speedo. You have to register the scanner so don't get any ideas about breaking the law by changing the mileage, you will get caught if it is changed to indicate a lower reading. Check it out on YouTube if interested.
Thanks for the info. Definitely gonna check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread