Diagnostic software and tools to repair and maintain our shelby GT500'S: Ford IDS

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
This is the best professional software and tool's that Ive ever used to repair and maintain my 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake. This is what Professional ford Technicians use at the dealerships. Been using this for a few years now and took some time to learn, it has such a wealth of support to help me make repairs and maintain my family, friends and my own personal ford vehicles The software and tools actually allows you to work on any ford car or truck to perform Vehicle Diagnostics and Module Programming from 1996 - 2017. Ford also has other software to diagnosis and program new ford vehicles as well, Ford J2534 Diagnostic Software (FJDS)1996 to present and (New) Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS) 2018 to present. Here are a few examples of using Ford IDS: (DataLogger, Self‐Test (Performs on‐board vehicle diagnostic routines and retrieves and clears Diagnostic Trouble Codes All CMDTC’s, KOEO, KOER, etc) Oscilloscope (A four channel oscilloscope for analyzing electrical signals), Network Testing, PATS Functions, Alternator Ripple Test, Fuel System Test, Ignition Test, Module Programming (Reprograms and configures ECU'S), Power Balance, Relative Compression (Analyzes and displays the relative compression achieved by each cylinder), Reset KAM (Clears learned values that an ECU has stored for adaptive systems), NVH testing using VCMM tool. Main hardware needed is VCM3 and VCMM and related electrical testing equipment. You also need to purchase Software License. Having access to all fault codes, vehicle specifications, electrical drawings, diagrams and step by step toubleshooting helps(Which I do). Here are a few screen shots:
Ford VCCM Tool Kit.jpg
VCM3,VCMM,Noid lights,Break out box.jpg

Shorted Coil #8 cylinder.jpgNormal power balance test.jpg Fuel injectorTest.jpgMisfire Monitor Test.jpg

So what are the rest of my fellow shelby Enthusiast using?

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
It took me alittle time to learn the different ford diagnostic software programs and tools (Self Taught) but once I was able to get that all down the troubleshooting aspect came easy for me. Being a Ford Industrial Electrician and car Enthusiast I found it challenging and I really enjoy using it now.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Im terrified to ask what that costs.

I don't have a GT500 but I've found Forscan to be a huge help and has covered all my Ford needs so far.
Its not cheap! $$$. But you cant put a dollar value on education or something you really enjoy doing( Im a big car guy Enthusiast) . Im also able to help alot of ppl from going to the dealer and for me thats gradifying.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Happen to update your shelby to the lastest PCM updates? If so notice any differences?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Happen to update your shelby to the lastest PCM updates? If so notice any differences?
Hey me32,

Not my super snake. No need. I primarily used IDS on my super snake to run diagnostic tests yearly, like datalogging, complete fuel system checks, Ignition testing, compression testing, cylinder power balance, alternator ripple test and cop testing (Coil on Plug). I've installed and programmed data on new PCM's for customers as well as several ecu's for various ford models. Trust me when somebody who knows me gets the dreaded CEL (Check engine light) or powertrain malfuction indicator light (Wrench) guess who gets a call....lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hey me32,

Not my super snake. No need. I primarily used IDS on my super snake to run diagnostic tests yearly, like datalogging, complete fuel system checks, Ignition testing, compression testing, cylinder power balance, alternator ripple test and cop testing (Coil on Plug). I've installed and programmed data on new PCM's for customers as well as several ecu's for various ford models. Trust me when somebody who knows me gets the dreaded CEL (Check engine light) or powertrain malfuction indicator light (Wrench) guess who gets a call....lol
Always good to have friends like you. For all the equipment and yearly fee whats was the total cost if you dont mind saying?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Always good to have friends like you. For all the equipment and yearly fee whats was the total cost if you dont mind saying?
I work for Ford so I get employee discounts on everything. Here are some links to give you an idea of what it cost. I have accumalated alot of electrical equipment over the years. Thousands of dollars invested. I am seriously considering opening up my own electrical auto repair shop as well as offering *remote technical support ( If someone has basic mechanical and electrical understanding than all someone would need to know is what to fix. Would save someone a ton of money from going to a dealership. Unless of course its a Bad PCM or ECU for example that would need to be reprogrammed in the vehicle)

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing (*Data on all ford vehicles Yearly)

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
YouTube video's of FORD IDS software and the use of VCM and VCMM tools capabilities.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey me32,

Very cool Vinnie.
Cylinder power balance? Any idea how this is calculated and how accurate?
I’ve always wondered with the way the lower intake and blower and intercooler are designed, plus how cylinders 7-8 were always an issue with the Terminator Cobras. Cooling definitely contributed to the blown 4.6 but I personally know there’s a bunch to gain with porting the lower intake and without EGTs, how can we look at cylinder distribution?
The other huge issues I’ve personally fought/fight is TB fail safe limp codes.
Any idea if the Ford computer can accurately measure/monitor boost once we up the power?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Forgot the biggest one—-do you think you can come up with a way to adjust the center screen parameters?
I loved watching boost and air/fuel in the factory dash. Once we change pulleys we lose the factory boost gauge and once we tune the car on E85 we lose the a/f. Huge bummer.
If you could find a way to reprogram the factory screen, without additional guages, you’d be our hero.
Plus all those 2013 guys who want the 2014 Snake in place of the 2013 Mustangs logo in that same center screen would throw cash at you! Make it rain brother :)
I got a stack of ones if you can make my 2014 monitor accurate boost and a/f ideally in Lambda (or on the E85 scale).
Great post.
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool Vinnie.
Cylinder power balance? Any idea how this is calculated and how accurate?
I’ve always wondered with the way the lower intake and blower and intercooler are designed, plus how cylinders 7-8 were always an issue with the Terminator Cobras. Cooling definitely contributed to the blown 4.6 but I personally know there’s a bunch to gain with porting the lower intake and without EGTs, how can we look at cylinder distribution?
The other huge issues I’ve personally fought/fight is TB fail safe limp codes.
Any idea if the Ford computer can accurately measure/monitor boost once we up the power?
-J

Ford IDS Power balance test identifies a cylinder that is causing a lack of power and not contributing to the engine's balance and performance. Im not sure how the software and VCM calculates the test (But im sure its similiar to a manual power balance test by disabling the coil and comparing the cylinders rpm drop that is not consistant with the other cylinders) It's an accurate test but once it identifies a cylinder issue you must follow up an ignition, fuel test first than a mechanical test (Compression and Leak down) if everything is good with the ignition and fuel systems. For some unknown reason and I dont really know but cylinder 8 is always been an issue with contribution. I tried to get an answer how ford calculates Boost in our cars but with no luck how its done, it uses a few different calculations. I think the boost calculations are fairly accurate in stock form but once big power is added i would say no that the boost readings become unreliable. That's why i use a map sensor that i installed for my Ngauge. It's very accurate.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Forgot the biggest one—-do you think you can come up with a way to adjust the center screen parameters?
I loved watching boost and air/fuel in the factory dash. Once we change pulleys we lose the factory boost gauge and once we tune the car on E85 we lose the a/f. Huge bummer.
If you could find a way to reprogram the factory screen, without additional guages, you’d be our hero.
Plus all those 2013 guys who want the 2014 Snake in place of the 2013 Mustangs logo in that same center screen would throw cash at you! Make it rain brother :)
I got a stack of ones if you can make my 2014 monitor accurate boost and a/f ideally in Lambda (or on the E85 scale).
Great post.
-J
Unfortunately the software that is engineered from ford is proprietary. When a PCM or ECU (Module) is replaced the software is downloaded from ford to the replaced module. That is how it gets reprogrammed thru IDS with the VCM tool. I cannot change nor reprogram the software. Sorry guys!! Only way this will get done is going aftermarket .

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately the software that is engineered from ford is proprietary. When a PCM or ECU (Module) is replaced the software is downloaded from ford to the replaced module. That is how it gets reprogrammed thru IDS with the VCM tool. I cannot change nor reprogram the software. Sorry guys!! Only way this will get done is going aftermarket .
Bummer but expected.
Like I said, I was planning on Holley EFI this winter, (including their digital dash) but now I’m paying attention to the Motec option Real Street and Mustang Lifestyle are highlighting.
Thanks for the posts and replies.
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Bummer but expected.
Like I said, I was planning on Holley EFI this winter, (including their digital dash) but now I’m paying attention to the Motec option Real Street and Mustang Lifestyle are highlighting.
Thanks for the posts and replies.
-J
No problem biminiLX! Anytime you need my two cent's feel free to ask. Im really considering upgrading to the motec 150 ECU myself. If I decide to do the Shelby Super Snake 1000 build which is 1300 crank 1100 RWHP im for sure doing the motec 150 ECU. I want to see if the RPM act passes first. If it doesnt pass expect armageddon in the aftermarket business parts/support. Its suppose to go before congress late this year or early 2022

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would be cool to see if Shelby American has an option. Or maybe they want to help you integrate the Motec?
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Would be cool to see if Shelby American has an option. Or maybe they want to help you integrate the Motec?
-J
If I do the Shelby Super Snake 1000 pkg im sure i wouldnt have to twist there arm to much to get them involved in the process. There is no way i would do it with street radials. Even tho i have the wide body the tire options are not good. All that power is pointless unless you can dial it in and it aint going to happen with Stock PCM....Period!! Not the way i want to set it up. What really impresses me with the motec 150 is the option to keep your dash and console all factory. Man that is so cool!!! Not to mention all the other benefits!!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
IMO..... the motec 150 is just a flat out better PCM for the way i want to set this car up!!!!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Great post.
-J
After giving this some thought i believe it is possible for a 2013 to get the 2014 snake emblem in display. They both use the same IPC module. Everything is the same between the two dash displays and functions. I could load the 2014 IPC firmware onto a new module and put it in a 2013 GT500 to get the snake. Need a test car but I believe this could be done. It also may involve replacement of the instrument panel cluster (IPC). I will investigate more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread