Did I just bone myself? v.I removed the fuel filler neck check valve.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I am finishing up a PPRV delete install on my '04 Cobra. I've been irritated in the past that I can't siphon gas from the tank using a hose (like if the car is being stored over the winter), so before reinstalling the tank, I removed the little check valve that's part of fuel filler neck, after it goes into the tank.

I originally assumed that the check valve was some kind of "anti-gas-theft" device, but after thinking about it, AFTER I removed it, it occurred to me that its purpose might be to prevent fuel from sloshing up the fill filler neck under hard left-hand cornering. I like backroads, track days, and getting sideways, so it's likely that gas will slosh around quite a bit.

Of course, I broke the tabs when attempting to pry out the check valve. Do I need to go shopping for a new fuel filler neck, or are my fears unfounded?

procharger

Established Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-10-21-14-53.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-21-14-53.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 219

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
What kind of problem will I experience with it removed? I found this thread that said that it affects the fuel shut-off when filling up the tank at a gas station, but I have other cars that have no check valve and they stop filling once the gas gets close to the nozzle.
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...ff-on-the-end-of-the-fuel-filler-neck.226722/

Several other threads say "it's an anti-siphon valve" or "it's to prevent gas from leaking out in case of a rollover".. neither of which I care about.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/fuel-filler-neck-check-valve.897158/
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131209

Another thread said that it'll cause gas spillage when filling up.
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/164219-Fuel-overflow-during-fillup

Screw it, I'm putting it back on, and if there's a problem, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

OOOH RIGHT, I remember why I wanted it gone. When I was going to do my PPRV delete, I had to drive around until the gas light was on so I could drop the tank more easily, instead of just being able to siphon gas and going to work.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I broke that piece on my 01 during one of the first 5 times I dropped the tank. I never had an issue with filling up. If the gas is sloshing out on a hard left turn you need a new cap.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Soap

Established Member
You do not have to remove that portion of the filler neck or drive the car until the fuel light is on. Just disconnect a fuel line and cycle the pumps, tank will empty real quick.

--Joe

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I filled up this morning—15.2 gallons with the fuel gauge bottomed below the E line. I filled up at the slowest speed, and put a bunch of paper towels around the fill hole. The paper towels got a bit wet when the pump clicked to shut off, but no spillage. And no spillage on my drive to work. I didn’t do any serious cornering, though.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
You do not have to remove that portion of the filler neck or drive the car until the fuel light is on. Just disconnect a fuel line and cycle the pumps, tank will empty real quick.

--Joe

Yeah, that would work, but putting a siphon pump hose down the filler neck is cleaner and easier. Plus those stupid “quick disconnect” lines are anything but quick to remove, even with the right tool. I spent a good hour getting one of them off of the fuel filter the night I started this project. I literally have about 12 hours into this PPRV delete install over 3 nights.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont have any fuel sloshing on corners but if I have the handle of the pump fully squeezed I get a decent little amount of fuel hitting the ground. Damn I dont wanna drop the tank again lol (not really that bad, I just dont wanna)

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Yeah, that would work, but putting a siphon pump hose down the filler neck is cleaner and easier. Plus those stupid “quick disconnect” lines are anything but quick to remove, even with the right tool. I spent a good hour getting one of them off of the fuel filter the night I started this project. I literally have about 12 hours into this PPRV delete install over 3 nights.

An hour getting the fuel filter out!? Takes me literally 5 min to replace WITH the center section in place.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
An hour getting the fuel filter out!? Takes me literally 5 min to replace WITH the center section in place.

some of the spring lock tools are garbage, Ive had some I fought with for a long time and couldn't get it apart. I grabbed a different tool and it popped right off first try

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
First time I did mine it took 15-20min fighting it too, but realized I wasn't doing it correctly. Advance auto piece, red anodized

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member

I got the fuel line from the tank to the filter disconnected a lot quicker the second time, in 10ish minutes, when I had to drop the tank again because I realized that the rubber grommet that goes inside the lip of the tank was still on the filler neck, and there was no way I was getting it in place without getting the filler neck out of the tank. Still not the 30-second job that it sounds like it should be, though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think it also depends on when the last time that connector was used. They get sticky. Plus having to line everything up one handed can be a pain. Next time won't be as bad though.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread