Did pumps die or were they killed?

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
My filter looked exactly the same and I just installed a new one prior to my 340s just dieing. Just bought the 465s as replacement. Seems the consensus is more likely the fuel station pumps/tanks arnt compatible with this fuel? Because I only get e85 from one station as well.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
To those who are interested in Walbro 255 and E85 as I previously posted I had a clogged filter. Turns out the aeromotive fuel filter was never changed (and it had been used for 2 years and 5000 miles or so) so that was the cause.

I changed the filter and haven't had problems since (around 500 miles so far) and I've been checking them regularly just to make sure.

So it seems that 255s are pretty compatible with E85 even though they were not meant to use with it.

black-plasma

Established Member
I can't imagine the 255s are any better then the 400s, but for your sake I hope they are. I ditched my 400s for some 465s for piece of mind.

jlauth

Established Member
I'm back fellas and yep my cat too has been going lean. Glad that I keep an eye on it and didn't take out my motor. I'm gonna check the filter tonight and report back with pics. I've only run Renagade racing e85 from
A barrel so I know it's not fuel station issues. I will report back tomorrow and I'm going to call Fore today.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm back fellas and yep my cat too has been going lean. Glad that I keep an eye on it and didn't take out my motor. I'm gonna check the filter tonight and report back with pics. I've only run Renagade racing e85 from
A barrel so I know it's not fuel station issues. I will report back tomorrow and I'm going to call Fore today.

What pumps do you have?

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I can't imagine the 255s are any better then the 400s, but for your sake I hope they are. I ditched my 400s for some 465s for piece of mind.

I personally think Lethal did something to the 400's so they could market the 465's for e85..the 255's seem to be running fine in e85 even though they aren't "under warranty" for it.

blown302stng

Established Member
Well add me to the list of problems with 400's and e85...

Been running the pumps for about 200-300 miles in conjunction with the lethal performace 1200 system that I bought this past winter...Noticed a week ago that there was a weird whine coming from the pumps...Took the car to the track this weekend and looked down a/f was in the 14's(thank the lord I realized it before blowing up the engine), pulled the filter and it was black like everyone else...I am not sure the pumps have gone bad yet but something is deteriating to clogged the filter like this and it is either the pump or lines causing it. Going to be replacing the filter and then checking it after 50 miles to see what it looks like..

Jeremy

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I personally think Lethal did something to the 400's so they could market the 465's for e85..the 255's seem to be running fine in e85 even though they aren't "under warranty" for it.

Not a chance.
The Lethal crew are a first class operation.
The sold the pumps based upon info given to them by Walbro/TI
I have had several conversations with the Walbro techs discussing this matter.
Call Lethal and they will help to take care of you.

BTW: I went through 3 of the 400s before I upgraded to the 465s

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Really? So there's a conspiracy theory now regarding fuel pumps made by Walbro and us?

That's ridiculous.

Not a chance.
The Lethal crew are a first class operation.
The sold the pumps based upon info given to them by Walbro/TI
I have had several conversations with the Walbro techs discussing this matter.
Call Lethal and they will help to take care of you.

BTW: I went through 3 of the 400s before I upgraded to the 465s

Thanks Rick. :beer:

Last edited:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Really? So there's a conspiracy theory now regarding fuel pumps made by Walbro and us?

That's ridiculous.

I never said anything about your pumps...I was referencing the Walbro's...I merely thought it was odd that the 400's came out and many bought those and then they came out with the 465's shortly after and certified them for e85. I don't see how there could be anything different makeup wise for e85 for the 255's and the 400's...yet we are seeing many more failures with the 400's...I could be way off base.

EDIT...I somehow typo'd and said Lethal...my apologies...I meant to say Walbro above. Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I never said anything about your pumps...I was referencing the Walbro's...I merely thought it was odd that the 400's came out and many bought those and then they came out with the 465's shortly after and certified them for e85. I don't see how there could be anything different makeup wise for e85 for the 255's and the 400's...yet we are seeing many more failures with the 400's...I could be way off base.

EDIT...I somehow typo'd and said Lethal...my apologies...I meant to say Walbro above. Sorry for the misunderstanding..

No worries and apology accepted. :beer:

In regards to your thoughts on the 255's, 400's and 465's keep in mind that each pump is assembled with different parts than one another. So what's in one pump and works with E85 may not be the same for one of the other pumps with different internals.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Thanks, Jared

gaspasr

Established Member
Well add me to the list of problems with 400's and e85...

Been running the pumps for about 200-300 miles in conjunction with the lethal performace 1200 system that I bought this past winter...Noticed a week ago that there was a weird whine coming from the pumps...Took the car to the track this weekend and looked down a/f was in the 14's(thank the lord I realized it before blowing up the engine), pulled the filter and it was black like everyone else...I am not sure the pumps have gone bad yet but something is deteriating to clogged the filter like this and it is either the pump or lines causing it. Going to be replacing the filter and then checking it after 50 miles to see what it looks like..

Jeremy

I recall mine getting louder and then they just let go with no warning, cruising at 2k rpm. It's just a matter of when now. I wouldn't wait. Call lethal and get the 465s. They are much quieter. Install is easy if you follow lethals instructions.

jlauth

Established Member
Well boys I might be having the same issues...noticed my car going lean last week. I'm gonna check the filter first if I ever get a chance. Any chance of Walbro replacing these? I bought them from Fore Innovations under the impression that they were meant for E85, and apparently they were in the past. I'm just hoping that I dont have to drop the $$$ on more pumps...hopefully one of these guys will take care of me.

blown302stng

Established Member
So replaced my fuel filter today with a 40 micron stainless filter

The 10 micron filter that was on it had less than 250 miles on it...It was installed this winter as mentioned with the lethal 1200 hp kit..Prior to installing the kit I ran e85 with my eaton setup and stock fuel system and never had single issue after 1000+ miles...That leads me to believe it is either the pumps or lines that are deteriorating

I have always used e85 from the same station and always poured from 5 gal jug so I could tell if there was any contaminates

Here is a pic of the filter and this is as clean as it would get after a whole can of brake cleaner at the track the other day
th_20130626_093356_zpsee906446.jpg

Guess I need to touch base with lethal and see what they think

Jeremy

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I no longer have a mustang but I have had 2 months of hell with e85 and pumps. I use the same station exclusively. As a matter of fact a friend of mine with a 1200+ HP GTR uses the same station and has no issues with his Weldon pumps. I firmly believe the black goo is the magnetic brushes from the pumps. It's a long read but look here: Why my SBD/SIR 290 lph pump locked up! - Engine - GT-R Life For those of you with black filters I advise you to dissect your pumps.

SpeedRite

Established Member
Add me to the list of 400's failure.

I never ran E85, only 93.

We actually caught the problem before the pumps 100% failed. On the dyno fuel pressure was dropping above 5000rpm.

Isolated each pump would fail the same ( drop from 50psi to 29/31). After much troubleshooting JPC decided it had to be the brand new pumps (less than 2000 miles of 93 only!) simply being weak.

Threw in some 465's ( another $1k down the drain :bash: ) and BAAM problem solved. And now for the first time put E85 in and she has made some relatively impressive numbers! :rockon:

Simply put the Walbro 400lph pumps are garbage. :cuss:

And on that note, I've got a " lightly " used set of 400's for sale! :dw:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Checking in once again with this mess.
Car started going lean two days ago.
Changed filter last night did couple of pulls still lean.
Now Its datalogging time again and trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
I think I might just ditch the 255s and get walbro 465s and be done with it.

Triple walbro 255 fuel pumps.
This is my 3rd clogged filter
about 500 miles on this filter

IMG_20130720_190431_zps7b213072.jpg

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Checking in once again with this mess.
Car started going lean two days ago.
Changed filter last night did couple of pulls still lean.
Now Its datalogging time again and trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
I think I might just ditch the 255s and get walbro 465s and be done with it.

Triple walbro 255 fuel pumps.
This is my 3rd clogged filter
about 500 miles on this filter

IMG_20130720_190431_zps7b213072.jpg

Your filter doesn't look bad. It just looks wet to me.
While my 400 were dying the filters were black and nasty.

photo-1_zps3349b5e5.jpg

photo2-1_zps9e3643dc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread