Did you buy a TV this Black Friday?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
why shouldn't someone buy one of those TVs? do you really think that most TV buyers **** with picture settings after they hook it up? or even know the difference between 1080p and 720p, or 120hz and 60hz? most TV buyers are clueless about what makes a "good" TV and simply want the largest name brand TV they can get for the dollar. if the buyers of those "exclusive" BF TVs are happy with the picture and the value, and it ends up being a reliable TV, then who really cares? i mean, besides the people who think everything in life is a dick measuring contest of course...

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
why shouldn't someone buy one of those TVs? do you really think that most TV buyers **** with picture settings after they hook it up? or even know the difference between 1080p and 720p, or 120hz and 60hz? most TV buyers are clueless about what makes a "good" TV and simply want the largest name brand TV they can get for the dollar. if the buyers of those "exclusive" BF TVs are happy with the picture and the value, and it ends up being a reliable TV, then who really cares? i mean, besides the people who think everything in life is a dick measuring contest of course...

Your theory promotes the "ignorance is bliss" approach. The idea is to help the fellow man move forward in life, not backward. Just because someone is clueless about a purchase doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of, yet we continue to allow this to take place.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i'm not saying ignorance is bliss, i'm saying that other people's ignorance is not my problem. with the internet in everyone's pocket at this point, it's their own fault if they don't do the research. and then throw on top of that how many people there are that just don't care and are perfectly content with their cheap(in many aspects) TVs.

SteveChris

Established Member
I am a believer in spending a bit more and getting something that is made with better quality. I bought my lcd tv in 2007, 46inch sharp aquos. Felt stupid when tv prices dropped dramatically shortly afterwards.
I had friends and family that went and bought sets 1/3rd the price of mine.
Difference is....mine still works and it may be 4 inches thick and not paper thin but the set looks great and the picture looks great. knock on wood, no issues in 6 years.
All those sets they bought for nothing? in the garage heap and some of them are on their 3rd+ tv.

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
We bought a Sony 50" plasma back in 04, about $5,500. I felt bad years later when the prices started coming down. The TV has had zero problems and the picture is still great. I just purchased a new 65" Sony Bravia and it is an awesome set, right around $2,600, didn't go on any special sale for BF, bought it last Wednesday. I was originally going to purchase the 70" Vizio m class and I am glad I was talked out of it. Anyone thinking about purchasing, I would check this set out.

Planter

Banned
best times to buy a big screen HDTV are right around February. from about 2 weeks before the Super Bowl to 2-3 weeks after, or right around the first 4 weeks of the NFL season.

I either buy Sony or Mitsubishi. i dont screw around with vizio, or any of that off brand junk. I'm skeptical of Samsung, even though most of their tvs get good ratings. I don't care for Sharp, my parents have one and it's a piece of shit. My roommate has a pair of insignia's? they are garbage.

Have no experience with panasonic, but I read somewhere they wont be making anymore plasma tv's.

I don't trust LG.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Your theory promotes the "ignorance is bliss" approach. The idea is to help the fellow man move forward in life, not backward. Just because someone is clueless about a purchase doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of, yet we continue to allow this to take place.

Not sure if serious. :bored:

"help fellow man move forward in life?" Your definition of moving forward is having a huge TV? Maybe some of these crazy idiots on BF should stay home with their kids on Thanksgiving and buy them more food or better clothes or save for an education instead of 'moving forward' with luxuries they can't afford so they can brag about their TV size.

And how is anyone being taken advantage of? The manufacturer and seller should take a hit on their products just because it's a made up shopping holiday?? No, they will make a cheaper product so they can sell it at a cheaper price and people will still buy it like hotcakes. All the consumers can easily see the TV they are buying is a different model number than the normal ones in stores. If they choose to buy a crappier TV because it's dirt cheap, that's their call.

And anyone who camped out anywhere for a TV is retarded. Best Buy had stacks on stacks of 55" and 65" and whatever TV's in their stores. I went in at 10am to buy the 50% off harmony remote (not a cheaper version of the regular model, of which they had tons left) and there were TV's everywhere.

allister

Established Member
Hard to believe that companies manufacture POS TVs specifically for retailers to sell on Black Friday.

Sad to say, they do it with more than TV's too. Last year I purchased 2 black Friday deals. A pair of boots that were $20 (retail supposedly $100) and an alternative down comforter that was $40, I don't remember what full retail was supposed on it.

Both were made so cheap. The boots were more like socks. You could tell they set themselves up to make a decent profit off the cheaply made $20 boots. Same with the comforter. I assumed it would be the same heaviness as a regular down comforter, wrong. These are both things the store only sold exclusively on black Friday. Once it was all gone and sold out, they went back to carrying their normal, decent quality items.

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
Not sure if serious. :bored:

"help fellow man move forward in life?" Your definition of moving forward is having a huge TV?

No, by moving forward I mean not making the mistake of buying a shitty brand TV simply because it is on sale. If I'm in say a BB (which I rarely am, as I price match online) and I see a guy is about to by a TV simply because it's marked down and is a no name brand, I'm going to suggest that he check out a model that is much better for only a few hundred more. It's his choice on what he wants to do, but only someone that cares for no one but themselves would say nothing and allow a fellow consumer to blindly make a purchase simply due to a BF deal.

Maybe some of these crazy idiots on BF should stay home with their kids on Thanksgiving and buy them more food or better clothes or save for an education instead of 'moving forward' with luxuries they can't afford so they can brag about their TV size.

What does going to the store on BF (the day after thanksgiving) in say the morning when your kids are sleeping have to do with spending time with them on Thanksgiving? I think you are getting your days mixed up. Also them buying one of the cheap TV's doesn't mean they can't afford a better one, it could very well mean that they simply think they are getting a deal. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

And how is anyone being taken advantage of? The manufacturer and seller should take a hit on their products just because it's a made up shopping holiday??

They are being taken advantage of by purchasing a shittyTV that will likely fail quickly simply because it's marked down.

No, they will make a cheaper product so they can sell it at a cheaper price and people will still buy it like hotcakes.

Exactly. That's my point. Why not spend a little more for the better BF deal on the name brand model.

All the consumers can easily see the TV they are buying is a different model number than the normal ones in stores. If they choose to buy a crappier TV because it's dirt cheap, that's their call.

See above.

And anyone who camped out anywhere for a TV is retarded. Best Buy had stacks on stacks of 55" and 65" and whatever TV's in their stores. I went in at 10am to buy the 50% off harmony remote (not a cheaper version of the regular model, of which they had tons left) and there were TV's everywhere.

Why go to BB? Simply have Amazon price match the deal like they do for the same TV's that people camped out for. You will love the Harmony. I have one myself.

:beer:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Got my Panasonic 65VT60 plasma last week. Upgraded from another Panasonic. Simply stunning TV. Now I know why it's rated one of the best TV's ever made.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Your argument is going off on a tangent about the value of quality TVs in general.

Consumers can buy a Seiki 60inch for $699 year round with the same or more features as a gutted Samsung or Vizio on Black Friday. The point is there is no real value on the majority of black Friday HDTV sales. If consumers want a large basic TV they can get one for a better price year round.

60inch 1080P TV $699

The quality is the same as a VIZIO or Samsung with cut corners on manufacturing to maintain profit margins. You get what you pay for, regardless of what consumers are being led to believe by retailers.

Last edited:

2fast240

Established Member
Got the 70in walmart vizio for $998. Researched the part # and it was the same as the one available everywhere else for $1698. Great tv, always had good luck with vizio's.

Users who are viewing this thread