Didn't like the Steeda shifter.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
The stock rubber boot fits over the Pro 50 better...from what I remember...

per the instructions, I trimmed mine a bit.....it fits well around the Pro 5.0 base

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Isn't the Mach1 a different tranny? Might have something to do with it.

Yes it is, but the handles are not the same. I have a steel handle which transfers more noise. His came with a aluminum handle which deadens noise.

Are you saying your 6-speed Steeda Tri-Ax has a steel handle? The handle is definitely forged aluminum. Also, my Steeda with the MGW handle is just a hair noiser than the stock shifter was. I did, though, have another Steeda earlier which was a bit noisy. Any aftermarket shifter that doesn't use noise insulators is not going to be as quiet as the stock shifter, even a Pro 5.0. And adding noise insulating bushings/gaskets makes the shifter feel more loose/rubbery. I recommend you try the MGW handle with your TriAx before you re-invest in another shifter.

Yes I am. I tried dynamat between the handle to see what would happend but the bolts then transferred the noise. With the stock handle it is almost dead quiet, so that tells me it is the handle. I'll figure something out or go with my old fave the 5.0:thumbsup:

Thanks Mike

Captain Hook

Established Member
Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
I've always used Pro 5.0's in all my Mustangs. I got my Steeda on a trade and decided to try it. Noisey as hell!! My wife asked me if there was a whole in my floor?! Anyway, I have now gone back to the stock handle on the Steeda base and it is quiet. It looks as though the T5 shifters have aluminum handles ,which of course absorbs the noise, and the 6 speeds have steel handles. I can only assume this because the Steeda my friend has in his Mach 1 has a aluminum handle and I have a steel handle. I will eventually switch to a Pro 5.0 or do a shorter handle with the stock rubber dampner, which by the way is not bad with the base. It is tall however...

Thanks Mike
I'm the one he is talking about with the Mach 1. When he got his steeda it came with a steel handle. Mine came with an aluminum handle. We assumed this is a difference in the T-5 and T-56 shifters. Apparently not everyone got a steel handle for their T-56 application. We are pretty sure that is why he has noise carring up threw his shifter and mine does not.
Thanks

Chris C

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
Aha! They wanted mine for the same problem but I said "I'll wait for the fix." I have trouble with the downshift into 3rd and occasionally the upshift into 3rd. They called me yesterday to say there was a fix available.

I have that same problem!!! I thought it was just the way the shifter was, now that i know something might be wrong with it im gonna have to call them up. Do you have anymore info on this "fix"

pgordon

Established Member
I have the steeda in an 03. Good improvment over stock, It seems to have a self guiding spring into third if I just push straight up, or maybe just used to it. Handle is a bit foward for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread