Didn't like the Steeda shifter.

Rwick7

Established Member
Were the stops set correctly? All the shifters feel about the same. I think the Pro 50 is a little quieter than the steeda however

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Yes they were set correct the first time and the second time the trans was put back in. I was thinking strongly towards the pro-5.0 also. Any help were to get it cheap?

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Try FourValve.com. As far as shifters go, they are all pretty close in price, but FourValve's got prety good pricing, so check them out.

Black306

Established Member
What didn't you like about the Steeda? I had a Steeda in my 2000 GT and thought it was great. I was planning on getting one for my 2003 Cobra.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Brad,
I am also curious what you didn't like. I had a Steeda Tri-Ax on my 02GT and it was awesome! All billet aluminum and performance was all I could as for in a shifter. I'm gonna put one on my 03 Cobra eventually.

Hey "StlBlack03", you said the "Pro 5.0" is quieter than the Steeda? Are their busings or insulation with the Pro5.0 that make it quieter? The noise is the only negative thing I can say about the Tri-Ax.

Rwick7

Established Member
The stock rubber boot fits over the Pro 50 better...from what I remember.

I had a Tri-ax in a GT and now the Pro 50 in my cobra....so it's not a direct comparison...but something is alot quieter I'll tell you that

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
I've always used Pro 5.0's in all my Mustangs. I got my Steeda on a trade and decided to try it. Noisey as hell!! My wife asked me if there was a whole in my floor?! Anyway, I have now gone back to the stock handle on the Steeda base and it is quiet. It looks as though the T5 shifters have aluminum handles ,which of course absorbs the noise, and the 6 speeds have steel handles. I can only assume this because the Steeda my friend has in his Mach 1 has a aluminum handle and I have a steel handle. I will eventually switch to a Pro 5.0 or do a shorter handle with the stock rubber dampner, which by the way is not bad with the base. It is tall however...

Thanks Mike

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Why don't you try the MGW adjustable handle. It's around 30$ and people here say it works great with aftermarket shifters. Do a search on this before you take your Tri-Ax off.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
I've always used Pro 5.0's in all my Mustangs. I got my Steeda on a trade and decided to try it. Noisey as hell!! My wife asked me if there was a whole in my floor?! Anyway, I have now gone back to the stock handle on the Steeda base and it is quiet. It looks as though the T5 shifters have aluminum handles ,which of course absorbs the noise, and the 6 speeds have steel handles. I can only assume this because the Steeda my friend has in his Mach 1 has a aluminum handle and I have a steel handle.

Isn't the Mach1 a different tranny? Might have something to do with it.

zepfloyd69

ok i agree with those of you who dont like the tri ax for your cobra. i too had a tri ax in my 2000 gt and my 2000 saleen and loved it, but with the t56 the handle is bent too far forward and some of the throws are a pain in the but. i sometimes even find myself ending up in the wrong gear and i never had a problem with shifting in my other stangs, im also getting the mgw handle in today and will try it out and let you all know

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
I've always used Pro 5.0's in all my Mustangs. I got my Steeda on a trade and decided to try it. Noisey as hell!! My wife asked me if there was a whole in my floor?! Anyway, I have now gone back to the stock handle on the Steeda base and it is quiet. It looks as though the T5 shifters have aluminum handles ,which of course absorbs the noise, and the 6 speeds have steel handles. I can only assume this because the Steeda my friend has in his Mach 1 has a aluminum handle and I have a steel handle. I will eventually switch to a Pro 5.0 or do a shorter handle with the stock rubber dampner, which by the way is not bad with the base. It is tall however...
Thanks Mike
Are you saying your 6-speed Steeda Tri-Ax has a steel handle? The handle is definitely forged aluminum. Also, my Steeda with the MGW handle is just a hair noiser than the stock shifter was. I did, though, have another Steeda earlier which was a bit noisy. Any aftermarket shifter that doesn't use noise insulators is not going to be as quiet as the stock shifter, even a Pro 5.0. And adding noise insulating bushings/gaskets makes the shifter feel more loose/rubbery. I recommend you try the MGW handle with your TriAx before you re-invest in another shifter.
:)

zepfloyd69

i think that for most of us who dont like the steeda, its not the noise its the throw i dont like and how the handle is too far forward, the base is good, but with the steeda handle the 2-3 throw is kind of long, as compared to a T5 with a steeda and yes i know the trannys are different, but the angle of the handle is just bad on the steeda, just got my mgw and installing it today, ill let you all know how it is

Black306

Established Member
Originally posted by twin screwed03
i think that for most of us who dont like the steeda, its not the noise its the throw i dont like and how the handle is too far forward, the base is good, but with the steeda handle the 2-3 throw is kind of long, as compared to a T5 with a steeda and yes i know the trannys are different, but the angle of the handle is just bad on the steeda, just got my mgw and installing it today, ill let you all know how it is
Are the handles for a T5 Tri-Ax and T56 that different? If so, has anyone tried using a T5 handle on the T56 base?

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
I sent my stifter back to Steeda because I believe its not aligned correctly. They had it for 3 week now test and measuring it.:bash:

Aha! They wanted mine for the same problem but I said "I'll wait for the fix." I have trouble with the downshift into 3rd and occasionally the upshift into 3rd. They called me yesterday to say there was a fix available.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by Black306
Are the handles for a T5 Tri-Ax and T56 that different? If so, has anyone tried using a T5 handle on the T56 base?

The handles are the same. I think the origonal poster was confusing the Tri-Ax handle for a stock handle. The T56 stock handle is steel vs. the aluminum tri-ax handle, which can be very noisy.

As an aside, I have found that if you really glop the silicone RTV on the entire mating surface with the transmission that it really cuts down the noise dramatically. Combine that with a thin silicone or rubber high durometer washer between the unit and the handle, and most noise is eliminated.

Be sure to reuse the stock rubber isolator boot though.

Users who are viewing this thread