Diff Bushings and HD Brace

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Well today I installed the HD IRS brace and polyurethane differential bushings on my 99 Cobra. The hole reason I did this was because of the excessive clunking I was getting when shifting. Car has 39k worth of mileage. When I got the car in the air and had a friend go from reverse to forward I could see the entire differential move up and down about ¾ of an inch. What a joke.

Right after I got the brace and bushings installed I went for a little beat run to see what a $150 bucks got me. Its raining here in NorCal so I slipped and slided my way around the block and came back pretty damm happy. I still experienced wheel hop, but it was reduced. My clunking problem has now disappeared and the car shifts like new again. Thank God... Anyways, I thought I'd share the experience

Here is the stock worn out bushings
stockbush.jpg

Stock Cross Brace
stockbrace.jpg

HD Brace and bushings
FRPbrace.jpg

Mach0ne351

Established Member
right on! i have the differential bushings in, but i havent installed the IRS brace yet. hey, where do u live in redwood city???? im from there!! i currently live in monterey, but im up in redwood often. my parents live there. they live right next to Jefferson Plaza. where u at??

-marek

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Well seeing I have access to a car lift. It was pretty simple. I removed the exhaust, which was super easy, 4 bolts. Then removed the bushings and brace, another 4 bots. It took about hour and a 1/2 to do the entire thing. Could easily be done without a car lift. It definently classify's as a easy Bolt on item.

I've heard of the brace before, but never really looked into it till I was on Steeda website looking for the bushings. There the brace is listed next to the bushings. I think its worth the $99. After seeing how much the diff moves around without it. It makes alot sence.

Mach0ne351, Haa small world. Im right off of Woodside road. I've seen your Laguna Seca pics before. Very Nice, But I guess we must of missed paths before as all the Nasa, Green Flag and Shelby Club events I've done there, I've missed yea.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
i tired doing the brace when the car was on the floor. i couldnt do it. with my big frame, i didnt have much room to work with, plus those bolts holding the factory irs brace were on there good.

we need to hook up next im in town. maybe i can see what you did to your hot ride ;)

-marek

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Sweet!!!

I have the Kenny Brown IRS brace and diff bushings sitting in my den awaiting install.

tito_146

Established Member
I also have installed the same parts to my cobra. They worked perfect.

cobraracer46

Banned
I also Intstalled a 03 cobra brace and steeds diff bushings my self about 2 weeks ago. I can't say that I felt a diffrence, but I'm sure there is some benefit to be had. :burnout:

AzDropTop

Established Member
The IRS bushings are the PITB install. I have the 03 brace and steeda bushings on mine. Made a little difference. congrats

Users who are viewing this thread