• LPW Cover, BF IRS Brace

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Stock Cover, BF IRS Brace

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
I already purchased the LPW Cover, but I was thinking maybe all I need is an IRS Brace. I was talking to the shop that is going to do the work and he mentioned the LPW cover alone may not stop the leak. He said the stock cover and the IRS should work. I'm just trying to get ideas. This is the 3rd time it has leaked. I want this to be the last thing I have that problem.

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
That's what I will be ordering for mine. My diff is leaking so it seems like the best time to swap it out. Looks like it has a drain/fill plug and can serve the purpose of the brace as well.

greengt88

Established Member
The best .solution is to drill out the factory bolt holes for larger ones and install helicoils, and or studs of a larger diameter along with the lpw girdle....I'm almost 100% sure u can't use the cover and the brace together, one or the other....the lpw is the obvious choice

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
So your saying the cover is all I need to correct the problem. I didn't know and apparently the shop didnt know you can't fit both. I was just trying to make the most economical decision.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I have a LPW cover on my car and it still leaks, its hard to get these diffs not to leak all that tq f**ks up the seal and just so you guys know to install this cover the whole diff HAS TO come out and the brace dose not fit.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I'd go with the stock cover and a BF brace. That's all I'm running without any leaks. :shrug:

The brace works.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I have the stock cover and and a BF brace and I don't have any leaks. I still plan to upgrade to the LPW though because I know it's superior to the stocker and brace, plus it gives more clearance around that area which apparently you need to run the 3" Bassani which I plan to get.

Are you 100% certain it is from the diff cover itself? Make sure you check your pinion flange seal too. I know someone that removed their IRS and resealed the cover but it started leaking again, so he removed the IRS did the FORE cover and Bruce's bushing kit and what do you know, started leaking again. Turned out to be a very slight leak on the pinion flange running down and dripping off the diff.. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I have my doubts.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Im mean mine dosent leak that it drips, but if i jack the car up you can see alil fluid. The cover will be better then the brace IMO I cracked my cover with the brace, the brace is basically so it wont popcorn open if u brake it not to prevent it from braking.

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
I appreciate all the input so far. I guess I might as well keep the cover since I already have it. It would be the obvious choice since I put the KB on anyways. I've been upgrading everything to support the power of the KB, that is when I get it tuned right. I'm also changing the subframe bushings to poly., wish I could do the whole kit, but it's just too much for now.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I've had a gasket on mine for about 3 years with no problems. I have a buddy that has one on his too, with no problems. I have posted this up before, but most people are blind and want to do stuff the hard way I guess. I don't understand why so many people still use that junk glue.

Advance Auto Parts: Differential Cover Gasket by Felpro - Part RDS55460

neither did i and i was actually sourcing conventional gaskets for the diff rebuild. i had my diff rebuilt by a local driveline shop.

i brought the lpw cover to them to include in the rebuild, and they said that looked good, but when i brought up the subject of paper gaskets they said, no, we will be using silicone gasket. i am not sure if that is just the current automotive trend or whatever, but they used a grey colored sealant, and there are no leaks whatsoever. i can tell that they did a real nice job in applying it too, perfectly symmetrical all the way around.

also in fact, the instructions for the lpw cover specify to use a silicone gasket and not a conventional one, saying it "minimizes deflection".

from what i have read on these boards from guys who have done it say the key is to let the silicone dry for at least 24 hours before adding the gear lube (iirc).

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The best solution is to drill out the factory bolt holes for larger ones and install helicoils, and or studs of a larger diameter along with the lpw girdle....I'm almost 100% sure u can't use the cover and the brace together, one or the other....the lpw is the obvious choice

I agree.
The increase in clamping force made available by larger fasteners appears to eliminate the squirm which eventually produces seepage.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
There is a difference in the types of silicone sealant sold. They are not all the same.
We use one that is used/sold by IH for assembling their motors.
It's grey and really stinky.
You get about 10 minutes to assemble everything once that stuff is applied.
I'm sure it is actually made by one of the major manufacturers, I just don't have a generic name for it.

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
Can someone please give me the name of the silicone. All I know is that it's gray. That's the final piece to the puzzle. I've heard so many stories of this gray silicone.

greengt88

Established Member
Permatex? Available at any autoparts store, or u can go to the ford dealer and buy it in a tube....same stuff though,

greengt88

Established Member
Gray seems to be the best, unless its for exhaust, then I use the red/orange high temp...I have an lpw girdle on my fox as well....used the red and it leaked, then used the gray and its been leak free for 3+yrs...just make sure u leave it sit for as long as possible before refilling with fluid...24hrs. Is preferred...I would also retorque the girdle bolts after its dry as well, u would be surprised....also not a bad idea to put some on the bolt threads as well...did that on the fox too...

Users who are viewing this thread