Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Stock Cover, BF IRS Brace

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Can someone please give me the name of the silicone. All I know is that it's gray. That's the final piece to the puzzle. I've heard so many stories of this gray silicone.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...gid_High-Torque_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

DisplayImage.asp

gadway41

Established Member
The best .solution is to drill out the factory bolt holes for larger ones and install helicoils, and or studs of a larger diameter along with the lpw girdle....I'm almost 100% sure u can't use the cover and the brace together, one or the other....the lpw is the obvious choice

What size did youm use 5/16,3/8, coarse or fine thread.

Thanks

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
The best silicone you could ever use for anything automotive use is motorcraft TA-31. It seals everything from differentials to oil pans to even stop a small fuel leak on diesel in a pinch. This stuff is flexible its pretty forgiving as far as ease to use and it fixed my rear diff leak. It's thicker than the vinegar smelling types of silicone and works 500 times better. Trust me don't waste your time with anything else any Ford dealer should have it in stock.

04nccobra

Established Member
My cover has a bit of moisture on the bottom seal but I never see a drip on the floor. It seems like resealing the cover is a PIA, and many of you folks live with the leak. How often are you checking the fluid level?

cobracide

Established Member
My irs was dripping all over the place after the cover upgrade. I don't think it was done right. Anyway, different place + lubelocker gasket = not a drop.

gadway41

Established Member
My irs was dripping all over the place after the cover upgrade. I don't think it was done right. Anyway, different place + lubelocker gasket = not a drop.

Hi, what exactly is a lube locker gasket? Where can it be purchased?

thanks in advance.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The best silicone you could ever use for anything automotive use is motorcraft TA-31. It seals everything from differentials to oil pans to even stop a small fuel leak on diesel in a pinch. This stuff is flexible its pretty forgiving as far as ease to use and it fixed my rear diff leak. It's thicker than the vinegar smelling types of silicone and works 500 times better. Trust me don't waste your time with anything else any Ford dealer should have it in stock.

Thats the stuff I'll be getting next spring when my lpw cover gets installed.

greengt88

Established Member
best way to prevent leaks is drill/heli-coil all the bolt holes in the center section, and use larger diameter bolts for more clamping force, ideally studs would be best. After that a liberal coating of gray RTV, i'd put it on the bolts /studs as well. tighten in criss/cross pattern, like tightening intake manifold and try to wait 24hrs before filling with fluid...if it leaks after that something is warped.

hotcobra03

Established Member
leaking diff

best way to prevent leaks is drill/heli-coil all the bolt holes in the center section, and use larger diameter bolts for more clamping force, ideally studs would be best. After that a liberal coating of gray RTV, i'd put it on the bolts /studs as well. tighten in criss/cross pattern, like tightening intake manifold and try to wait 24hrs before filling with fluid...if it leaks after that something is warped.

there has been alot of threads on leaking rear...

i lke this thought but alot of work...

my thought was bolt with a larger shoulder to fit tighter in cover..

it would be nice if cover was made with a locking cone set-up

gadway41

Established Member

What size thread did you use? Stock is 1/4-20.

thks.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread