Difference between Reg. 5.4L & Lightning 5.4L?

trueblue4ver

Established Member
I have an 03 F-150 STX in true blue and this summer i want to make it into a lightning. I will not put the lightning badges on the side and wont tell people its a real lightning either..i promise. I had a GT b4 this and i hate those posers! Im getting a baseball scholarship so no college tuition. :rockon: Whats the difference between a regular 5.4L and the Lightning one? I mean i know its got the charger and all that crap, not dumb just not sure about heads, cams, intakes..stuff like that. Thanks for you help. Also, how much lower are your trucks from the factory? need to figure that out so im not to high off the ground.

Mainly, if i went with 2 cats and a magnaflow setup with 3.5" tips and X-pipe, would it sound close to a lightning? I just dont want that deep, low, no tone exhaust like every truck thats not a perf. truck has.

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I am not exactly sure how much of the internals are different but there is a whole hell of a lot different in the engine itself. I think the suspension on the L is 1.5" lower in front and I think 2" in the back...if i remember correctly.

Honest opinion, by the time you finish paying for all the parts and doing the labor even by yourself you could have bought a Lightning straight out. Your insurance would be the same maybe even lower if you go with a older year.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Thier is alotof difference in the internals, heads pistons valves and what nots. I'm not calling you a poser by any means, I understand having one vehical, and makeing it mre powerfull and look sharpe, but to be honest with you, you would save alot of cash if you sold or traded that in on a SVTL. It will take alot of work, and a shit ton of cash to do a good job on a SVTL clone.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
HalfTime said:
Thier is alotof difference in the internals, heads pistons valves and what nots. I'm not calling you a poser by any means, I understand having one vehical, and makeing it mre powerfull and look sharpe, but to be honest with you, you would save alot of cash if you sold or traded that in on a SVTL. It will take alot of work, and a shit ton of cash to do a good job on a SVTL clone.

I agree save $ and time and try to find a nice used SVTL.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Yep, Right now there is a 03 or 04 L motor and trans on eBay, it's going to go for about $5k, that Coupled with the rearend, interior, front bumper/ fog lights, and suspension pieces you would have been better off buying a L with a blown motor or trans and having a motor or trans built for it, then you'd have a built motor or trans that could take modding nicer.

Why not Vortech the 5.4 you have now? Save ya some money as well.

trueblue4ver

Established Member
Yeh well i would probably just do exterior stuff and your basic tuner, exhaust, stuff like that for now and then get into a lightning a little later. Not having speed is killing me!!!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Well the blocks are the same.

But the L has
8.5 over1 compression pistons
Both have the same rods though
Forged crank
4R100 Transmission
Heavy duty Cooling and Trans cooling system
Recalibrated PCM
Eaton M112 S/C plus intercooler
A few other odds and ends I'm sure someone on here knows what they are.

mifordman

Established Member
not to steel the thread, but can the ecm out a regular 5.4 be tuned to handle the hp like an L's? is there any difference in them besides tune?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
mifordman said:
not to steel the thread, but can the ecm out a regular 5.4 be tuned to handle the hp like an L's? is there any difference in them besides tune?
Supercharger, Intake, Pistons, Transmission

Users who are viewing this thread