Difference (if any) of 03 and 04 heads.

lethal

Established Member
OK, we all are aware of "the tick" associated with a problem in the original heads on the 2003 Cobras built before Nov 2003. My car was one of those and I will have to take it in for a head replacement. Now, my lingering questions are as follows:

1. Of the cars that we heard about dying (Coleman and Racerat's come to mind) I believe they were both first run cars with the original head design. Does anyone have verified information to the contrary? And yes, I am aware that they were running KB blowers -- more boost then even the stock eatons could push (15+ psi).

2. I've read Jimmy V.'s postings on modularfords.com and I participate on this board much more.. there seems to be a wide degree of opinion... are the heads on the 04 nothing more then the revised head (drivers side) and the original 03 passenger side head?

I really just want to hear that if I get the new head for the drivers side that my set will be what is functionally equivalent to the 04 heads. A posting by Thor on the other board suggest that a redesigned head would cost Ford for the engineering and re-certification. Others have claimed the new heads were cause for the upgrade in mileage per gallon. My opinion is that they leaned out the pig rich tune, got better gas mileage (burning less fuel) and that also would explain the dyno of 5-7 more rwhp that the base 04 Cobras (alledgely) are producing.

So guys, what do you think? Anyone with some hard facts?

Thanks-

John

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Ford wouldnt fix the problem for us what makes you think it will change for the 04's ? There is a redesigned head but they have been using them on the later cars. Mine is an anniversary and I have the blue stripe on both heads. I think it comes down to whatever is going down with ford we have no idea. There is alot of opinions about our heads but no one has really put down any proof.

lethal

Established Member
I'm asking for the proof, if any. On modularfords they claim to have proof. I want to know what people here know. I don't want more opinion and conjecture. That's available on virtually every post.

forced03

Established Member
I called svt and was told there is no difference in the revised 03 head and the 04 head. My revised head (tick replacement) came in yesterday.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Originally posted by forced03
I called svt and was told there is no difference in the revised 03 head and the 04 head. My revised head (tick replacement) came in yesterday.

There we go nuff said, now the only question left is when did they start installing the revised head ?

lethal

Established Member
Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Later run cars also may have the tick. Mine was built on 02/03, and It had the tick. There are others on this board who have the tick and their cars were one of the last ones to be built. Again, the blue stripes have nothing to due with a new or old head. I think that the heads were only recently redesigned.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by redaddiction
Ford wouldnt fix the problem for us what makes you think it will change for the 04's ? There is a redesigned head but they have been using them on the later cars. Mine is an anniversary and I have the blue stripe on both heads. I think it comes down to whatever is going down with ford we have no idea. There is alot of opinions about our heads but no one has really put down any proof.
You probably already know this but the blue mark has nothing to do with the head revision as far as we know. :p

:uh oh: Opps. I just noticed the post above mine said the same thing.

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
brasil-

That's why I wanted to start this thread. There is the real information, there is what people hear, there is what people believe, and then there is what people have experienced. I'm really only interested in the first and last of these. Even if Ford stated they revised the head in 11/02, it does not mean that more didn't make it through. It could be that the blue mark was supposed to be a revised head, but still ticks (may be different then the original cause, but it is still not perfect).

I want facts and I will draw my own conclusion. I encourage everyone else to do that same. Brasil, do you intend to take it to Ford and try to get a replacement head? The TSB is for cars produced before Nov 2002 (before the "redesigned" head).

John

760-MPH

Established Member
My friends first run 03 cobra had the tick. Took it in they replaced the head and now the tick is even louder.

My mach 1 was built 7/31/03 and has the tick but i don't want them to replace the head and make it louder

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
They are already replacing heads on later run cars built after 11/02. The Ford Regional Rep confirmed the TICk in my car. Ford has admiited that engines that were build up to August or September of this year, could have bad heads. Even the Mach 1's can be affected as well.

lethal

Established Member
Excellent info. I had no idea they extended the TSB to Mach1's as well. Does anyone have a current version of the head replacement TSB?

John

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by lethal
brasil-

That's why I wanted to start this thread. There is the real information, there is what people hear, there is what people believe, and then there is what people have experienced. I'm really only interested in the first and last of these. Even if Ford stated they revised the head in 11/02, it does not mean that more didn't make it through. It could be that the blue mark was supposed to be a revised head, but still ticks (may be different then the original cause, but it is still not perfect).

I want facts and I will draw my own conclusion. I encourage everyone else to do that same. Brasil, do you intend to take it to Ford and try to get a replacement head? The TSB is for cars produced before Nov 2002 (before the "redesigned" head).

John
Let me say this as far as offering non-factual info. In some cases that is all that can be offered since Ford will not offer an explanation. Case in point is the blue marking on the heads. Ford has never explained what the mark is. One wonders if they even know. LOL! Another is the stalling issue. So, yes, facts are always better. But when facts are not available we have to go with the best guesses until proven otherwise. Thankfully we have some great folks who are willing to experiment on their own.
:beer:

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
I wanted to know how loud the tick is on the 03 cobra....

I had a tick on my 2001 lightning, and it was pretty noticable. When i gave it gas, the rate of ticking would increase... They replaced the drivers side head..

on my 03, i hear a *slight* ticking, but its nothing like i heard on my 01...do these cars have any sort of minimal tick normally?

thanks...

760-MPH

Established Member
Yours just might be the Fuel Injectors MOTO
Does it get worse when it is completely warmed up or when you start it up?

Also, i am not aware of any new TSB's concerning the tick for the Mach or 03 cobra. I have talked with several people. Some say that the whole head needs replaced, some say its the lifters, and one person is convinced that its the "oil galley plug"

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by MotoXracer21
I wanted to know how loud the tick is on the 03 cobra....

I had a tick on my 2001 lightning, and it was pretty noticable. When i gave it gas, the rate of ticking would increase... They replaced the drivers side head..

on my 03, i hear a *slight* ticking, but its nothing like i heard on my 01...do these cars have any sort of minimal tick normally?

thanks...

Good question I hear some ticking noise on my 03 Cobra (9-02 production) but the dealer said they couldnt hear anything. When its bad how obvious is it?? Thanks Eric

Users who are viewing this thread