differences in Cobra and GT list

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Is there a list or run-down on the web somewhere of the differences in detail b/n the Cobra and the GT? I know there are GT40 heads and intake, and some suspension differences. Would like to know more. So far the only resource is wiki. Not much there.:read:

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Just off top of my head: intake, heads, cam, possibly trans? (that may be for 93's only though), rear valance (v6 style), wing, wheels, injectors, maf, gauge cluster, different ecu, maybe headlights??? Can't remember any more.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I think there was also a difference in the cams and lifters being rollers or solids etc. can't remember that well lol

4valved

Banned
Thanks guys, I just wish I could find a comprehensive list...

Gt40 Heads Cobra
E7 Heads Gt
Cam Profile Same for Gt and Cobra
Gt40 Intake Manifold Cobra
Stock 5.0 Intake Gt
1.7 Roller Rockers Cobra (i think Crane?)Cobra
1.6 Stamped Steel rockers Gt
65mm Throttle Body Cobra
55mm Throttle Body Gt

The Rest was cosmetic

ceetwarrior

Established Member
Gt40 Heads Cobra
E7 Heads Gt
Cam Profile Same for Gt and Cobra
Gt40 Intake Manifold Cobra
Stock 5.0 Intake Gt
1.7 Roller Rockers Cobra (i think Crane?)Cobra
1.6 Stamped Steel rockers Gt
65mm Throttle Body Cobra
55mm Throttle Body Gt

The Rest was cosmetic

The Cobra cam is different from the GT dude.

Let me take you to school on Cobras. Here's a start:

*** COPIED FROM Stangnet ***
Cobra Specs
Here is a list of items that are unique to the Cobra vs the GT (94-95)
If anyone has anything to add to this list feel free to e-mail me.

Engine/trans

The Cobra engine was under rated at 240bhp from the factory campared to the GT's 225bhp and was only available with a 5 speed and 3.08 rear end gears.

Cast iron GT40 heads
Cast aluminum Cobra intake manifold
Crane 1.7 rocker arms
24lb fuel injectors
Cobra specific ECU (computer)
"Cobra" stamped valve covers with build sticker and signature
Engine oil cooler
Front mounted power steering fluid cooler
Lightened flywheel
Phosphate coated transmission gears
Overdriven waterpump pulley
Cobra specific camshaft
Cam specs: Duration: 227°/Intake & 270°/Exhaust
Lift: .485/.485 Intake/Exhaust
Lobe separation: 118.5°

Suspension/Brakes

13" Front brakes
11.65" rear brakes
"Cobra" embossed front calipers
Cobra specific brake booster
Cobra specific rear sway bar
Cobra specific shocks/struts/springs
K-member that is slightly stiffer than the GT's
No strut tower brace

Interior
Steering wheel center / Airbag cover embossed with "Cobra"
White faced gauges
160mph speedometer
"Cobra" embroidered floor mats

Exterior
Cobra specific 17" wheels
Cobra specific rear spoiler with integrated 3rd brake light
Cobra specific front bumper cover
SVT emblem on decklid (95-up, not on 94)
Cobra emblems on front fenders (no 5.0L emblems)
"Crystal" (clear) headlights
Round cobra specific foglights

Other info:
The 94-95 Cobra (and GT) came with a 60mm throttlebody, not the 65mm alot of people believe it to have. The 93 cobras came with a 65mm.
Although the 94-95 Cobra came with 24lb injectors it still uses the same MAF (mass airflow meter) as the GT. The Cobra specific computer compensates for the 24lb injectors.

Many people say the Cobra came with underdriven pulleys but from what i've heard it only has a Cobra specific overdriven waterpump pulley. Even if they are slightly underdriven they are nowhere near the same as real underdrive pulleys.

94-95 Cobra trivia information (posted on the SCOA bulletin board posted by "Dano" from the SVT cobra recognition guide)
1. '94 was the first year of the front facing Cobra snakes!
2. These two years were the only ones to have the "Crab Claw" spoiler, with built-in LED brake light! (The GT's stop lamp was mounted on the rear decklid)
3. Only three colors were offered:
a. Rio Red Tinted Clearcoat
b. Crystal White
c. Black Clearcoat
4. The '94 Indianapolis 500's official pace cars were GT's converted to Cobra specifications.! They were five converts, with a four-speed AOD automatic trans! The actual "Pace Car" was driven by Parnelli Jones. 1,000 of these replicas were built, for sale to the public! If you have a '94 convert, it's an Indy 500 replica, with all the special badges & markings, and it's red!
5. The easiest way to tell a '94 from a '95:
a. The '95 has an SVT badge on the trunk lid.
b. The '95 has a vertical flair attached to the front of the rocker panel extension.
6. ALL '94 Cobra converts were Rio Red Indy Pace Car replicas.
7. ALL '95 converts were black.
8. The '94 convert tops were saddle color, and the '95 convert tops were black. No other color combinations were available!
9. '94 and '95's converts came with saddle interior.

*** Let me add that Cobras have leather wrapped parking brake handle aluminum diff cover in 93+. Sway bars front and rear are smaller diameter to allow more grip. No strut tower brace either. What else is there....

Basically GT's SUCK compared to Cobras. Which is why I build them instead of GT's.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Many people say the Cobra came with underdriven pulleys but from what i've heard it only has a Cobra specific overdriven waterpump pulley. Even if they are slightly underdriven they are nowhere near the same as real underdrive pulleys.

Underdriven is underdriven. If the accessory pullies are larger or the balancer pulley is smaller it would classify as as an underdrive pulley. How much does the ratio have to change before it can be called a "real" underdrive pulley?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I think there was also a difference in the cams and lifters being rollers or solids etc. can't remember that well lol
I think the rollers are a diff ratio.

The roller lifters have no ratio, well they do and it's 1:1 if you want to get technical.

Although the 94-95 Cobra came with 24lb injectors it still uses the same MAF (mass airflow meter) as the GT. The Cobra specific computer compensates for the 24lb injectors.

The injector pulsewidth is controlled by the computer, not the MAF and this goes for all EEC cars.

Basically GT's SUCK compared to Cobras. Which is why I build them instead of GT's.

When modded they are all the same.

Last edited:

ceetwarrior

Established Member
Underdriven is underdriven. If the accessory pullies are larger or the balancer pulley is smaller it would classify as as an underdrive pulley. How much does the ratio have to change before it can be called a "real" underdrive pulley?[/QUOTE

I didn't write that. Like I said, it was copied from another forum. The Cobras Crank pulley is 3/4" or so smaller than the GT's.

Users who are viewing this thread