Differences in Gen 1 TVS cases?

weider1717

Established Member
I have wondered why some Gen 1 FRPP & VMP TVS's have I am going to call them "dimples" in the top of the case and others don't. Which is the revised of the two and is there any differences and cause for the difference?

I searched and couldn't find anything on this.

Just curious,

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you referring to the recesses circled. I don't really know, but the 07-09 had shock tower braces. This may have been additional clearance for it.

Gen 1.jpg

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Those are probably for strengthening the case. I have not seen one apart but I assume the interior follows the shape of the rotors so instead of being solid across the top of not having anything they do this. Create strength without excessive weight. Only my opinion as i have been known to be wrong before.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Those are probably for strengthening the case. I have not seen one apart but I assume the interior follows the shape of the rotors so instead of being solid across the top of not having anything they do this. Create strength without excessive weight. Only my opinion as i have been known to be wrong before.
Are you talking about the raised ribs? I think he means those 4 machined (flat) areas within the circle on the top of the case. At least that's what I'm assuming. That's why I posted a picture, cause I'm not sure I know the question either.

weider1717

Established Member
Exactly what I am referring too. See picture for Gen 1 without the "dimples" I have just been curious.

img_0149.jpg

Stan Bartol

Established Member
I have wondered why some Gen 1 FRPP & VMP TVS's have I am going to call them "dimples" in the top of the case and others don't. Which is the revised of the two and is there any differences and cause for the difference?

I searched and couldn't find anything on this.

Just curious,
clearance for strut tower brace

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly what I am referring too. See picture for Gen 1 without the "dimples" I have just been curious.

View attachment 1591655
The supercharger on the far right is a Gen 1, but it's for a Coyote. I doesn't have provision for EGR. Note the EGR on my old Gen 1. It might not have changed and the difference is between the GT500 case and the 5.0 case.

Gen 1 2.jpg

weider1717

Established Member
You guys are thinkers..I am with you that odds are is it for clearance but we know either will fit. Heck, you can fit a Whipple and still use it I think?

Anyway, I believe you're correct on the that thought. I noticed this on the ford racing ones too. Thanks! now I know.

96gt02

Established Member
The dipples are a ford racing thing, the VMP case is slightly different. and as far as old and new, the way to tell was the veins on the front of the blower (around the snout) the newer style have shorter less pronounced veins vs the older units.

PM-Performance

Established Member
The ribs are for strengthening of the case. Justin has mentioned this on one of his videos. I think where he shows the Gen3R. Makes sense as you are spinning these rotors to astronomical speeds, the case needs to be braced

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Are you talking about the raised ribs? I think he means those 4 machined (flat) areas within the circle on the top of the case. At least that's what I'm assuming. That's why I posted a picture, cause I'm not sure I know the question either.

Yeah I was talking about the ribs themselves. Old age ya know.

Users who are viewing this thread