Differences in Labrador temperament between gender/color?

99GTvert

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend a dog for Christmas. I grew up with a female yellow lab and it was the perfect dog. A lot of energy, but listened well, protective, but not threatening. Are these dogs pretty even across genders and fur colors or do they vary?

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
I've had several labs in my life. They are hands down the best dogs in the world!

All labs should be energetic, playful and sociable. Color shouldnt have any effect.

As far as male and female go, I've had both, and the best one was my yellow female Daisy. Sweet, calm, loving. She was the best dog my family ever had, adn we've had a lot!

98slowbra

Established Member
I have a female Choc lab right now, she is only 2 and she has a ton of energy. She is always next to me. When I get the mail she walks right next to me and does not leave my side. She will not take off and run away. I have had only Choc female labs and if I got another dog it would be a lab for sure. All these dogs want to do is please their owners. If I was to get another dog it would be another lab hands down. Our female is so good with our 12 and 8 year old girls. Best dogs in the world if you ask me.

jcthorne

Established Member
As quite a number of labs have passed by my wife for training or in association with her animal assisted therapy work, I can make some generalizations on temperment but it really comes down to your desire for a given 'look'. Your and your GF appreciation and love for the dog will have a far greater effect on its personality than broad traits.

That said. The smartest, english black labs. No contest. Not just learning but thier cognitive reasoning to 'get it' and do what is needed, not just what is trained.

A VERY close second are fox red labs but they are rare. A bit higher energy than blacks and a bit more accepting of 'new' things, but we have only dealt with 3 and own one now.

Yellow are a bit more mellow and easy going, less 'driven'. Still smart and very wanting to please thier owner.

Chocolates are more outgoing in thier affection but this also translates to hardest to break seperation anxiety. IE they are the most likely to be upset and act out when you leave them alone.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Black Females in my experience just listen better I think. But a lot of it is all in the training. As long as it understands that you are its master, it'll do just fine!

My application might be slightly different though as our black labs are used pretty much strictly for Waterfowl hunting. Great dogs to be around too, but they dont get to come in the house much and certainly aren't spoiled! lol.....

Our current one right now (Bailey) loves the water. Her biggest problem is trying to keep her in the boat! lol....she'll literally pretend to fall out just to get wet!

98slowbra

Established Member
Chocolates are more outgoing in thier affection but this also translates to hardest to break seperation anxiety. IE they are the most likely to be upset and act out when you leave them alone.

Hope this helps a bit.

This explains a lot about our chocolate female, when I left her alone to go mow the lawn I came back and she had crap all over the floor. She gets upset when I leave her alone. Very good info bud.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Males seem to be more stubborn but that is with any breed.
We have an 11 week old yellow female that is an absolute little shit but she is going to be a great dog. She already knows sit, fetch, whoa and does excellent on water retrieves. She was house broken by 8 weeks we got her at 7.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
white=more calm, better for beginners but seems to get sick easier.
Chocolate= biggest physical size, most energetic, hardest to train but also generally the healthiest
Black= middle of the pack, same general size as the white, more healthy, but higher energy than white, also failry easy to train.

I have owned all 3 colors over the years and these are my personal experiences with them. My current lab is white, he has stomic problems so we have to give me anacids every morning, does not do well with stress, is insecure, but also VERY smart, easiest dog to train EVER, quiet, and VERY calm and polite. Great lab for beginners.

Users who are viewing this thread