Different diameter rear tires, okay or not?

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Someone jacked *one* of my cobras rear rims/tires... I ordered a new rim and am going to get a tire for it this weekend. About a month prior I bought new rear tires for my car... I didn't burnout or anything that much. If I use one old tire, and one new tire of the same brand will it be okay? Or will it burn out my differential clutches...

I just want to make sure it will be okay.

Thanks,
Chris

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
what are the stats on the tires?

what specific sizes are we talking?

It all depends on how close the ratio is.

Matt

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Like I said.. It's the same size/brand as the other one. Just a month newer. The brand of tires are Fuzion and the size is 275 40r17... The key words here are that one of the tires has a months worth of wear on it, and the other one will be new..

SlowSVT

Established Member
That should not be a problem. One month of wear would be too insignificant to matter. With a limited slip differential only one wheel recieves power until it spins then it will engage and transmits power to both wheels.

Don't sweat it.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If the tire sizes are different, it will constantly try to apply power to the side that is spinning slower (the larger tire) and will burn up the posi. Also, if one tire is spinning at a different rate than the others, TC and ABS could try and kick in. A small difference has the tolerance built into the system. But not much...

Users who are viewing this thread