Differential Whine

5OhSlo

Established Member
I have a 2011 gt with 21k never heard a peep out of the rear until yesterday I took the car up to 140+ and the rear started howling at first I thought it was from the wind and speed making the noise but as I slowed down it continued. At normal driving speeds it sounds as though it's radio feedback but still drives me nuts because it's never done it before. Now I have heard that many people have it from the day they bought it but I never have so decided to put it up on jacks pulled the plug and the gear oil has a burnt oil smell going to pull the diff cover an see if it's all good sometime next week. Any thoughts? it not horrible sounding but almost sounds like a slight brake dragging but definitely coming from the diff you guys think this is normal?

F.D.Sako

Established Member
My 3.73s sing pretty loud. I used to get worried at first, but now, above 40mph we sing together.

The song is called 'WOOOO'

5OhSlo

Established Member
Haha they are 3.73s guess I will have work on my singing voice lol just drives me nuts hearing something That uses to not be there

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Gear oil is foul smelling stuff so that's no real indication that anythings wrong. Drop a magnet in in and see if there's metal shavings in it.

If your rear wasn't making any noise and now it is, it could a bearing, I had a carrier bearing going bad , it had a low pitch scraping sound to it that got worse over a couple months before I yanked the rear to figure out what was wrong.

Gear whine doesn't usually start if was there from the install and you can't mistake it for a scraping sound.

5OhSlo

Established Member
Thats what I was thinking but it shouldn't smell burnt either I don't know if its a bearing or what mine sounds like brakes dragging definitely sounds metal on metal but like radio feedback isn't too loud but loud enough I don't like it lol plan on ripping it apart soon just waiting on my Ford racing diff cover to come in. I normally tear diffs up from launches never broke anything just going fast haha

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Maybe it got hot enough to burp some fluid out the vent. But if it's metal to metal contact, I'd check it out, or take it to the dealer.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I have a 2011 gt with 21k never heard a peep out of the rear until yesterday I took the car up to 140+ and the rear started howling at first I thought it was from the wind and speed making the noise but as I slowed down it continued. At normal driving speeds it sounds as though it's radio feedback but still drives me nuts because it's never done it before. Now I have heard that many people have it from the day they bought it but I never have so decided to put it up on jacks pulled the plug and the gear oil has a burnt oil smell going to pull the diff cover an see if it's all good sometime next week. Any thoughts? it not horrible sounding but almost sounds like a slight brake dragging but definitely coming from the diff you guys think this is normal?
Hi 5OhSlo,

I recommend you still bring it in and speak to your service manager about this. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

Tyler72

Established Member
Unfortunately the 3.73 cars do tend to whine. Does the noise change when transitioning from acceleration to coasting?

Mine have whined from day one. Its very harsh now with the upgraded control arms and honestly I Dont even want to drive it on the interstate because its deafening between 60-80 mph. I would take it in but the closest dealer here has never been helpful to me and honestly I Dont have confidence in them setting up a set of gears. I've done hundreds of them and there's definitely an art to it. I know I can do it and make them quiet so I'll probably just fix it myself even though that means I'll have to pay for it.

5OhSlo

Established Member
No the noise doesn't change whether I coasting or not it's there at about 20+ part that bothers me is it just started.... oh well hopefully I will get it in a shop today I have an extended warranty on it mine as well let them pay for it lol

Steve@Tasca

Unfortunately the 3.73 cars do tend to whine. Does the noise change when transitioning from acceleration to coasting?

Mine have whined from day one. Its very harsh now with the upgraded control arms and honestly I Dont even want to drive it on the interstate because its deafening between 60-80 mph. I would take it in but the closest dealer here has never been helpful to me and honestly I Dont have confidence in them setting up a set of gears. I've done hundreds of them and there's definitely an art to it. I know I can do it and make them quiet so I'll probably just fix it myself even though that means I'll have to pay for it.

You are correct, a properly set up rear end shouldn't make much or any noise. If you decide to do it please contact me about the parts, we'll have the lowest prices you'll find on OEM and FRPP parts.

-Steve

Tyler72

Established Member
Thanks Steve!

I ended up getting those rear GT500 caliper brackets from you and also went ahead and got 2 brand new rotors as well. Got it all together last night. While I had the cover off, I inspected the gear pattern and honestly it looked pretty good, but its really hard to tell with used gears. I was going to check the backlash too but I forgot my dial indicator at my day job. I suspect its something to do with these new 2 cut style gear sets. If I ever slap a blower on my car I'll probably re gear to 3.55. If I do this I'll go with a Ford gear, but I'm sorta hesitant to try another Ford 3.73 because its possible I could run into the same problem. I own a 4 wheel drive shop so I can get "aftermarket" brands with great warranties for cheap, but 99% of the time I like to put in Ford gears as they generally set up better and run quieter.

5OhSlo, I suspect you killed a bearing if the noise doesn't change based on load. Take it in to be looked at because its probably salvageable right now, but if you keep driving the car the damage will only escalate.

5OhSlo

Established Member
Yea I ain't drove it since it started I have to take it in Wednesday to a local shop hopefully it won't take them long to diagnose and repair and get it back too me I'll let y'all know what I find out

Steve@Tasca

Thanks Steve!

I ended up getting those rear GT500 caliper brackets from you and also went ahead and got 2 brand new rotors as well. Got it all together last night. While I had the cover off, I inspected the gear pattern and honestly it looked pretty good, but its really hard to tell with used gears. I was going to check the backlash too but I forgot my dial indicator at my day job. I suspect its something to do with these new 2 cut style gear sets. If I ever slap a blower on my car I'll probably re gear to 3.55. If I do this I'll go with a Ford gear, but I'm sorta hesitant to try another Ford 3.73 because its possible I could run into the same problem. I own a 4 wheel drive shop so I can get "aftermarket" brands with great warranties for cheap, but 99% of the time I like to put in Ford gears as they generally set up better and run quieter.

5OhSlo, I suspect you killed a bearing if the noise doesn't change based on load. Take it in to be looked at because its probably salvageable right now, but if you keep driving the car the damage will only escalate.

Which 3.73s did you get? Since Ford Racing brought all their gear production in house to the Sterling axle plant the issues with 3.73s have virtually disappeared.

-Steve

Tyler72

Established Member
I haven't bought any for this car... The factory 3.73 gears whine like a pissed off opra singer! Lol! That's why I might swap them later.

phfelts

Established Member
My 3.73s whine as well, but it only started after the control arms and springs were installed. Granted, those were my first mods lol. With some pinion angle adjustment it did help reduce the noise, but between 50-75 mph is the sweet spot for the whine in my car. Luckily I'm a windows down kinda guy!

5OhSlo

Established Member
Well I got the car back from the dealership techs said they couldn't hear or find anything .....sound is still there so I plan on just trying to grenade it at the track in two weeks maybe they can find the noise afterwards : )

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Sounds like you needed your gears as loud as mine were in the last car. It could be a conversation killer at times. Ear plugs...ha, it didn't phase the whine. Piercing.... No abnormal wear either. They were Motive 4.30's though...never again. That car was traded.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
What about 3:55s, I had a set installed and they are crazy loud! Like someone else said...ear plugs don't do squat. I heard talk about the 3:55s having a bad bunch. Can anyone say that they have experience with this?
Steve, I am going to try another set of FRP 3:55s if you want to shoot me a price.

Users who are viewing this thread