Differentials: T2R vs. True Trac

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The main difference between the tru trac and the Torsen is that the Torsen offers a higher bias ratio which means it requires a greater amount of force before the wheel breaks free. The scond difference is that the torsen offers more gears than the tru trac. Both are gear style differentials.

AMB

Established Member
93SVTCobra

The THIRD difference is that the T2R has "CLUTCHES" and the Tru-Trac "DOESN'T" !!!

AMB

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
To my knowledge the T2R has always had both gears and clutches. The T2 only has gears.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Well, since this was brought back.

After a few years of beating on the T2R I have absolutely no regrets. Great diff.

Thanks Mark W.

Tom

Andy M

Established Member
I am in the unique position of having owned two separate cars, each having one of these diffs installed. I had the 2000 R of course which had a T2R installed and I beat the crap out of it for several years (several thousand track miles!) with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I now of course own David's old 03 Cobra which has a TrueTrac diff and after a few track events and some street driving, I'd have to say it is a wonderful diff and does its job in a stellar manner.

I would cerainly recommend either for anyone wanting to do track events.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have a Tru Track in my 04 and have 3 events on it. I love it and it is totally seamless and as smooth as you could want.

The T2R however does have a better bias ratio and has a longer track record having been used in many race cars over several more years.

When I priced diffs the T2R was about $100.00 more, is it worth the extra money? I can't say.
I just know they are a great diff, but so is the Tru Track. My inside rear doesn't lift off so I'm having no inside spin problems.
It's awesome in the rain!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
No Doubt, the Torsen T2R is positively, absolutely, 100% one of the best performing, trouble free mods I have ever done, period! :-D And I am not real easy on equipment! ;-)

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Pollardhimself

Established Member
How do the torsens and truetracks handle heavy acceleration threw the turns will both wheels eventually lock? I can feel my stock clutch diff slip in my 04 cobra when accelerating hard around a corner i hate it. In my last car i destroyed everything even a ratcheting style like the Detroit ez-locker but with no shear pins it kept popping out gear if i accelerated hard sounded horrible, I finally bought a full spool and loved it but it was a fox body and had smaller tires on the rear. So im trying to decided between the Detroit locker or gear style limited slip Since sometimes i like to accel hard around corners and im comfortable with the tires spinning. I do drive the car daily

Andy M

Established Member
I have the TrueTrac diff with 3.73 gears in my Terminator and have close to the same power you have. My car puts down 466 HP and 485 TQ at the wheels. My car accelerates wonderfully around turns and I can put the power down (within reason of course - 1-2 gears from a dead stop continue to be challenging) really well.

As I've mentioned before, I have experience with both diffs now. I can say for sure the Torsen T2R is pretty bullet proof. We have several current and past owners of R's and other cars running this diff and I have never heard of one blowing up. I did the Terminator axle upgrade on #155 when I did the T2R and literally ran the crap out of it at the track (over 10K track miles) and never had any issues. Always ran clean Royal Purple fluid and just went out and ran hard. These things are definitely bullet proof. Just ask the other R owners here and they will tell you the same thing.

As for the True Trac, I don't have as much experience, but so far, I am seeing the same level of performance and durability.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I am continuing the "abuse" on 155's T2R since Andy sold it, and it's holding up JUST fine. LOL

I wish the IRS in my '03 Cobra was a solid, and tough, as 155s! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread