Dipstick mod for Canton oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

Established Member
It was oil change time so I figured it was my opportunity to mod the dipstick to read "full" with 8 quarts in the system (7 in the pan + 1 for oversized remote filter) instead of 11+ required with a Canton pan and stock dipstick...lol! The pan was installed by the previous owner and the engine has always seeped oil from around the pan and blew oil out the PCV system when driven hard so I'm hoping less oil in the system will cure all of it.

Heres the stock dipstick. The handle is just a universal part I bought on ebay.

20180819_203443.jpg

Here's the mod: a 2" long piece of 1/4" steel brake line. The little "nub" at the top of the dipstick cable fits perfectly inside and I drilled out the aluminum handle to 1/4" so the brake line could fit inside. Both joints are held together with some small roll pins. Drilling the tiny holes in the brake line was a bit of a pain but it helps to center punch the holes with something sharp like a small nail.

20180819_204214.jpg

Finished product! Overall I extended the dipstick 1.75" and now 8 quarts shows about 1/8" below the full mark!

20180819_214334.jpg

20180819_214352.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
How much more oil capacity does the canton pan allow? You said 11+quarts for it to show as full on the OEM dipstick but how much should you actually run with the canton pan and it not be over or under filled?
I checked this with my modified Gt500 oil pan. I filled it with water to the point I wanted it to sit at then measured the water. I fill my pan to around 9-10 quarts and noted where it registered on the dip stick.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Nice mod but totally unnecessary. The Canton pan does fine with 8 quarts, which is about the most Canton will tell you to use. Any more and it's just drag and a waste of your money. With the OE dipstick and 8Q's, you'll read about 1/2 or a hair more on the stick. Easy: Engine

olympic

Established Member
How much more oil capacity does the canton pan allow? You said 11+quarts for it to show as full on the OEM dipstick but how much should you actually run with the canton pan and it not be over or under filled?
I checked this with my modified Gt500 oil pan. I filled it with water to the point I wanted it to sit at then measured the water. I fill my pan to around 9-10 quarts and noted where it registered on the dip stick.

Canton recommends 7 quarts with a stock filter, 8 quarts with an oversized remote filter.

Nice mod but totally unnecessary. The Canton pan does fine with 8 quarts, which is about the most Canton will tell you to use. Any more and it's just drag and a waste of your money. With the OE dipstick and 8Q's, you'll read about 1/2 or a hair more on the stick. Easy: Engine

I'm not sure what is different about my engine but I put in 8 quarts and a fresh filter, ran the engine then waited 5 minutes to check the level and it didn't even register on the dipstick. Extending the stick 1.75" makes it read properly.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
There’s also an OE Ford dipstick that Canton recommends when anyone has as issue with oil not showing on the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread