disappointing night!

sarim17

Established Member
little update..... ( not much )

i have started trying to find something wrong... checked oil, checked plugs, cleaned filter, reset ecu, changed coil packs. nothing so far....

i have noticed that my firewall adjuster seems to loosen up... doesnt quite hold the position i want.... could this effect the acceleration that much? i figured if anything it would effect normal driving. honestly, my clutch engages up toooo high and doesnt feel quite right.... in what direction would i turn the adjuster to make it engage and disengage closer to the floor?
i have searched on this and nothing quite explains proper adjustement. just the need for proper adjustment....

na svt,
lol i guess that is the only way to do maintenance..... maybe i should have proof read my post. after reading that, i realize its an odd statement :shrug:

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
little update..... ( not much )

i have started trying to find something wrong... checked oil, checked plugs, cleaned filter, reset ecu, changed coil packs. nothing so far....

i have noticed that my firewall adjuster seems to loosen up... doesnt quite hold the position i want.... could this effect the acceleration that much? i figured if anything it would effect normal driving. honestly, my clutch engages up toooo high and doesnt feel quite right.... in what direction would i turn the adjuster to make it engage and disengage closer to the floor?
i have searched on this and nothing quite explains proper adjustement. just the need for proper adjustment....

na svt,
lol i guess that is the only way to do maintenance..... maybe i should have proof read my post. after reading that, i realize its an odd statement :shrug:

Counter clock wise should lower the clutch engagement. The further out you turn the adjuster the closer to the floor it will be. ( I'm almost positive)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
:lol: try doing a roll run in 456s and see what happens

I don't really roll race. If I do it's from a slow roll.

The 3.55s are killing him, he's gonna need gears regardless of the tye of racing he does (roll racing is for sissys). I agree with the statement above, there's no need to go over 125 on the roads.

sarim17

Established Member
i enjoy all kinds of racing..... unfortunately, roll racing is most of what goes on here... and i dont do it much... but i can feel my car is not 100%. even when i race, i really dont think i exceed 115... that by no means is ok either...

i should be doing a compression test tomorrow at some point....

question, can i have coil packs that are not working properly but no apparent symptoms? acceleration feels smooth at w.o.t. but, decel has a weird sputter and gas mileage is completly shot!!! i just put half a tank of gas in the other day and only got roughly 65 city miles.... normal driving ( 2 w.o.t. runs from 2nd through 3rd)

4v_mach1

Established Member
i enjoy all kinds of racing..... unfortunately, roll racing is most of what goes on here... and i dont do it much... but i can feel my car is not 100%. even when i race, i really dont think i exceed 115... that by no means is ok either...

i should be doing a compression test tomorrow at some point....

question, can i have coil packs that are not working properly but no apparent symptoms? acceleration feels smooth at w.o.t. but, decel has a weird sputter and gas mileage is completly shot!!! i just put half a tank of gas in the other day and only got roughly 65 city miles.... normal driving ( 2 w.o.t. runs from 2nd through 3rd)

does the car hesitate or feel like its sputtering under load at lower rpms? my car has this issue right now and it usually happens when its at operating temperature. My guess is coil booties because I already replaced my fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel pressure sensor, and used that injector cleaner a few times and it made no difference.

4v_mach1

Established Member
Counter clock wise should lower the clutch engagement. The further out you turn the adjuster the closer to the floor it will be. ( I'm almost positive)

I have the firewall adjuster so If I turn it counter clockwise the clutch will engage a bit lower?

sarim17

Established Member
yes my car does struggle and sputter down low!!! i hate it! today i had to get on it from a very low speed in 1st. the t/c was on and i noticed when i looked back there was alot of black smoke!!!.... i guess better black then white.

more and more im starting to think that it may have something to do with the tune.... let me know what you come up with!!! i want this fixed!!!

sarim17

Established Member
fellas,
progress!!! so i took it to a tuner as per na svt's advice..... and he said the spark charts all seemed ok.... i dont have a wideband so he took a look at some other stuff and found that my car is pulling 10% fuel just at idle.......

he said that if its doing it at idle then its probably doing alot more while driving.... he checked what i think he said was the barometric pressure and said that my MAS may be to blame.... fortunately we got some rain today and so i didnt get a chance to get out there and see if it made any difference after cleaning it. but he said if it continues after that a data log my be needed....

i guess the only real headway is that i may have a lead.... i realize that this thread has gone on quite a while.... but i figured this might be helpful later on for someone else..... so i will update! thanks for everyones advice and help!

cobra916

Established Member
The 3.55s are killing him, he's gonna need gears regardless of the tye of racing he does (roll racing is for sissys). I agree with the statement above, there's no need to go over 125 on the roads.

you might know engines but you dont know gears.. gears only help cars from a dig with suspension set up to transfer weight.. for a roll on a stock cammed car stock gears are best..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
you might know engines but you dont know gears.. gears only help cars from a dig with suspension set up to transfer weight.. for a roll on a stock cammed car stock gears are best..
You make me laugh:lol: Steeper gears allow the engine to get into the rpm range where the engine makes power, but there's a fine line between keeping the engine in the powerband too long and not long enough.

A general statement like "for a roll on a stock cammed car stock gears are best" would not be factual as there are many factors which determine the best gear for a race that begins with a roll;
1) mph at the start of the race
2) rpm at the start of the race
3) the engine's hp and tq curves
4) weight of the car
5) tire diameter
6) transmission gear ratios
and so on...

Racing from a 40mph roll to 100 may have a totally different gear requirement.

Your data provides a real world example and is soem good data (despite the fact that it was gotten on a public road), but it doesn't suit all or even 90% of the Mach's and Cobra's.

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
You make me laugh:lol: Steeper gears allow the engine to get into the rpm range where the engine makes power, but there's a fine line between keeping the engine in the powerband too long and not long enough.

A general statement like "for a roll on a stock cammed car stock gears are best" would not be factual as there are many factors which determine the best gear for a race that begins with a roll;
1) mph at the start of the race
2) rpm at the start of the race
3) the engine's hp and tq curves
4) weight of the car
5) tire diameter
6) transmission gear ratios
and so on...

Racing from a 40mph roll to 100 may have a totally different gear requirement.

Your data provides a real world example and is soem good data (despite the fact that it was gotten on a public road), but it doesn't suit all or even 90% of the Mach's and Cobra's.

:lol1: lemme break this down for you since it looks like your struggling..

remember this is a cammed mach... which is hurting for gears in your head

...........start point v ..rpms ......v reason end pnt top of 4th with 430s
3rd gear 373 60mph 3895 at 120 half car ahead
3rd gear 430 60mph 4491 at 120 half car behind

4500-5250 my car makes 323-331ish tq 3500-3800 is 15-20ish less tq

so starting at a weaker point my car with 373s still won.. it doesnt matter if its a weaker point at 3rd,2nd,1st the 373s will make it up.. aslong it is a roll.. because i only have experience with roll runs.. from a dig with 430s your suspension better be set up other wise you will blow the tires and see the tail lights of the 373s again.. and yess 90 percent of people with na 4 valves should be running 373s or less.. leave the 410s up to the drag set up cars.. thanks you come again..

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You still aren't getting it. All that matters is that you are happy with your gear selection...that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread