disappointing night!

sarim17

Established Member
hey guys!
so i took the car out this weekend and was heading to a hookah bar with a buddy. there is a local street about two miles from my house that people cruise up and down, so we decided to make a run through on our way there. lately it has been really hot and humid at night so i thought that might have something to do with it, but considering that both cars are running in the same weather i ruled that out.

anyways, so we run up north about 3 miles and head back down south about 4. this challenger srt8 pulls up next to me after we get rolling from a stop light. his gear is dropped and he keeps jerking it back and forth. seeing that he has 3 people in the car, im like ok, why not. ( street racing is bad and wreckless. im sorry) but we roll to about 40 and i slowly drop to second gear. i let him get the hit, but as soon as his car jumps forward i get on mine. instantly ( and much to my surprise) i go up on him roughly a car length. i didnt expect this to happen, because he got the hit. so i assume that this one is in the bag. however, as soon as i shift into third, right about the same time he did, he instantly closes the gap and starts pullin away hard!

judging by the way his car sounded ( not very accurate i know) it seemed to be stock. but by the time we ended third gear and maybe stabbed 4th, he had put on a car and half maybe two cars on me. needless to say, i was pissed!!! he had 3 people in the car with him. it was pretty embarrasing. i know you win some and loose some but i just did not expect that out come.

the funny thing is, i should not have gone up on him that hard and then fell back even harder! he hit it, and i pulled up on him....then he flew by! Well i got to thinking and realized that this same thing happened to me a couple of weeks earlier when i raced a co-workers trans am! full bolt-ons and headers auto.( i understand that if both cars were to be deemed equal at factory, he still has more mods than me).... but its just hard to explain, my car goes up hard on these cars.... and then instantly its like third gear has no steam! i have always read that 2nd and 3rd gear is where our cars truly shine! but my car is very doggish around town. i dont feel it has the same pep as most dohc mustangs of its caliber! does this sound about right for my mods, or lack of! or should i be concerned.

i would understand if they would just start pulling at the top of the higher gears considering i do not have any real major mods to the car, but its almost as if my car falls flat on its face when i hit 3rd!

background on the car: 130k daily driver. jlt, o/r x, slps, sct 4bank! never did put the 98 cams in. and car has not been on a dyno. i didnt think i needed it dynoed until maybe headers or something major!

p.s. last friday, it was 115 degrees outside and i was caught in traffic. with the a.c. on the needle started to climb passed half way. i managed to cool her down immediately and did not drive it the remainder of the weekend until that night! i checked the coolant before i went out and actually put a 1/4 of a bottle of coolant/water blend. i have had my friends check numerous times for any smoke indication of where it might have went and nothing shows. so im assuming that its just hot and the coolant was never changed by the owner before me. its an 03 and i bought it 3 years ago with 89k!

im sorry for the long post but i figured the more info, the better idea you get!!!

so im wondering if something might be wrong with my car! i had coil pack issues for a long time and am hoping i didnt mess up the valves! is there way to check these things without opening the motor? any suggestions on what might not be working right? the car feels very doggish!!!! very lazy and very heavy! also, when i rev the motor, i notice that the needle drops a bit before it makes the climb up! i have noticed my car revs slower than the 4v cars around here that rev at me! please help!

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
you need to get it tuned and see where you are. you may have other issues like a weak coil or something else going on. also the cars your running are simply more powerful/faster than you. and srt8 traps much higher than a mach1 and a bolt on ls1 auto are tuff to beat with a simple setup as yours. i recommend a full check up by a good mustang shop and then get 4.10s or 4.30s rear gears and a tune and then see the difference.

DirtaySr

Private Sector Sucker
Established Member
get it tuned properly!!! Sometimes bolt ons will goof up the cars comp and it try's to compensate .... Resulting in lower horsepower. Machs come with decent tunes out of the box. But bolt ons untuned can can actually hurt more then help. The motors like to rev, get 410s minimum and a good tune on a proper dyno.

Also like previously stated, the srt8s make big power and are real quick in a straight line. The have big powerful motors.

Good luck.

clc44

Established Member
Said you have a SCT 4 bank.. Did you get a canned tune or a custom tune? Like others have said, get it tuned and get a tune up as well. With the miles, just go through it and make sure everything is in proper working fashion.

BM1

Established Member
**** all that bolt-on nonsense. Call Hellion and order a single turbo kit.

Last edited:

sarim17

Established Member
fellas,
i am maticulous with the care of my car!!! it is waxed once a week and parks in the garage!!! also, all maintenance is done by me! by hand!!! that being said, i have recently done the plugs, filter, fuel filter, cops, cleaned maf, cleaned throttle body, put new battery terminals( old ones were getting corroded), fresh coolant, only synthetic oil..... basicly what everyone with these cars hopefully does!!!
i know everyone says they all take care of it this way, but the local shops here all say it too!!!

it is a bama tune. i think they say its a custom tune according to your mods. but if i understand tuning correctly, mods aside, every motor is different. so i feel that it may be more a canned tune! i have thought about getting it dyno tuned, but man other guys around here seem to be doing just fine without! i guess truthfully, i dont wanna spend 400+ on a dyno tune, until i have everything i need.

my mid range is what is truly hurting! and gas mileage! i think i see 16 city/hwy mixed! and in the winters..... when at a light, it looks like its smoking. but its moisture! maybe a compression test is in order....

i guess i understand that my car is just not as fast as the cars im playing with.... but with the type of care my car has gotten from me.... i was just hoping i could have it running like other machs on here for a little longer!
anyways, i figured i would share the story with the hopes that maybe someone had experienced something similar with their car and would shed some light on what it needs! :beer: to all!!!

Last edited:

sarim17

Established Member
bm1,
trust me, i have seriously thought about it for months now! problem is.... this is my daily driver and i just cant justify doing that to a daily driver.

i know it would be alright initially, but i just dont see a turbo leaving the car very practical. unfortunately.

BM1

Established Member
bm1,
trust me, i have seriously thought about it for months now! problem is.... this is my daily driver and i just cant justify doing that to a daily driver.

i know it would be alright initially, but i just dont see a turbo leaving the car very practical. unfortunately.

A cheap daily driver is all you need to solve that problem.

sarim17

Established Member
i dont mean to get this started again, but with the group of guys i run around with. we do highway runs! now i know 4.10s would fix the 3rd being too long problem, but im afraid that i would run out of steam too fast! i thought about headers, 98 cams, spacer, and 3.73s. i feel like that would be a fun combo, but i could always eaton swap for the same amount of money as that and better off!

my buddy is going twin turbo on his cobra and i really wanna do my eaton swap now, but i just cant justify spending that type of money right now! i suck at life! i needa be rich!

clc44

Established Member
4.10's will still let you wind 4th out to 125 or so. Higher than that isn't smart on the street anyways. I'm in between 4.30's and 4.56's.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
also, all maintenance is done by me! by hand!!!

How else would it be done?

With stock gears and a canned tune I'm surprised you got beat. Also, a syno tune should not cost $400 if you already have a chip. The tuner in my area charges $125 an hour and it takes no longer than an hour for an n/a tune.

With 4.10 gears you'll be going 130mph at 7000rpm.

4v_mach1

Established Member
So you guys are saying 4.10's wouldn't help at all? I'm trying to figure out what gears to get.. 3.73 or 4.10's.. or stock 3.55's which i hate because 3rd takes forever and i don't even want to know how long 4th gear is.. i haven't gone past 110mph in my car.
(Lesson learned after I got a speeding ticket going 110mph)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So you guys are saying 4.10's wouldn't help at all? I'm trying to figure out what gears to get.. 3.73 or 4.10's.. or stock 3.55's which i hate because 3rd takes forever and i don't even want to know how long 4th gear is.. i haven't gone past 110mph in my car.
(Lesson learned after I got a speeding ticket going 110mph)

4.10s would help a lot, 4.30s even more.

cobra916

Established Member
i dont mean to get this started again, but with the group of guys i run around with. we do highway runs! now i know 4.10s would fix the 3rd being too long problem, but im afraid that i would run out of steam too fast! i thought about headers, 98 cams, spacer, and 3.73s. i feel like that would be a fun combo, but i could always eaton swap for the same amount of money as that and better off!

my buddy is going twin turbo on his cobra and i really wanna do my eaton swap now, but i just cant justify spending that type of money right now! i suck at life! i needa be rich!

gears will kill you in roll runs

Users who are viewing this thread