Disassembling 03 Cobra mirrors

StriderTacticaL

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with disassembling 03 Cobra mirrors? I want to get my passenger side mirror housing repainted and I figured it would be cheaper and better if I took it apart myself and just brought the bare housing to the shop.

I did some browsing on the net on how to take them apart and it seems like it will be a bit complicated.

The first thing I am unsure about is there seems to be some discrepancy about removing the wiring out of the housing. Some people say you can take apart plug so you can pull the wires through and others say you have to cut the wires and reattach them later?

The other problem is removing the actual glass from the mount. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/717123-cobra-mirror-disassembly-re-paint.html In this thread the person is saying all you do is simply just yank the glass out. But I read in another forum someone saying that you need a long thin flathead screwdriver to slowly pick off each clip holding the glass in place from the hole at the bottom of the housing that connects to the triangle shapped part that attaches to the door.

I would really like to take it apart without damaging something so I was wondering if anyone can clarify these issues and offer any tips to avoid bad surprises?

Thanks,
Brandon

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
The first thing I am unsure about is there seems to be some discrepancy about removing the wiring out of the housing. Some people say you can take apart plug so you can pull the wires through and others say you have to cut the wires and reattach them later?

I recently did this on my car. DO NOT cut the wires. A small pick or screwdriver will allow you to easily release the wires from the connectors. You'll see what is needed when you have them loose. Just take a pic of where they go for reassembly.

The other problem is removing the actual glass from the mount. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/717123-cobra-mirror-disassembly-re-paint.html In this thread the person is saying all you do is simply just yank the glass out. But I read in another forum someone saying that you need a long thin flathead screwdriver to slowly pick off each clip holding the glass in place from the hole at the bottom of the housing that connects to the triangle shapped part that attaches to the door.

They come apart fairly easily. I think I actually got mine apart with my hands. Just don't get too rough. If you do use a screwdriver, make sure you don't pry too much on the tabs because they are plastic and could break or become deformed so that the backing plate won't snap back in properly later.

Also, be careful with the glass. Ford doesn't sell them anymore and I couldn't find anyone in my area to make a new one fit worth a darn. I even bought the Burco replacement glass, but wasn't happy with it either. It wasn't exactly like the OEM glass, so I ended up making my own which was a major pain.

Last edited:

StriderTacticaL

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Well I'm halfway through disassembling them but I ran into a problem. I managed to get the glass off just fine, which is cool. Now I need to disconnect the plug from the end of the wire. I removed the gray plastic locking thingy from the plug but the wires don't come out of the connector. I can feel that it is loose but I've given it some light muscle and it still won't come out. Is there a specific way of removing them from the connector?

Thanks

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I couldn't remember how to disassemble them to make a write up for you, but I know it was pretty simple to figure out when I repainted mine.

Users who are viewing this thread