distinguishing factory paint-pen marks

devin_svt

Established Member
many people may not care about these, or you could be a total nut like me and want to know anything and everything about these things.
I recently acquired a early build 03 coupe with 3100 miles so every mark is pretty much still there. I want to know what each one represents, and why there are different colors even on the same object, like the steering rack. Also, I have seen a few low mile 04's and it also seems like this car has more markings (throttle cable wheel, iac, Maf bolt, exhaust hanger, etc) or maybe I just haven't noticed the other cars as much. my first thought was maybe because it is a early build car (June,02) but I could be wrong. If anyone knows what the number on the drivers valve cover means, that would be cool too.

just want to see if anyone has some insight on this, here's some pictures of the car. sorry that it is dusty.

IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Send me the VIN and I can tell you the day it was built.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have the certificate, it was built Wednesday 6/19/02. But thank you!

I misread your post, I thought you were questioning if it was an early build or not.

I'm not sure what the markings mean...probably the only people that will be able to help you out are those that were on the line when they were built.

devin_svt

Established Member
Early builds had problems with the heads ? I would get that checked out ASAP

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
anything built prior to November 2002 apparently had insignificant flow to cylinders 7 and 8. the fix is the " head cooling mod " other then that there isn't much to check out

devin_svt

Established Member
I misread your post, I thought you were questioning if it was an early build or not.

I'm not sure what the markings mean...probably the only people that will be able to help you out are those that were on the line when they were built.
Its all good. But there is a lot of people on this site, I figured someone might have answers haha

Steve Cea

Established Member
anything built prior to November 2002 apparently had insignificant flow to cylinders 7 and 8. the fix is the " head cooling mod " other then that there isn't much to check out
Was there a dealer recall back then ? I thought the swapped out the defective head in question ? Every Cobra should have that cooling mod done period!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
The only recall these cars ever had was for the accelerator pedal plate for the carpet.

There was a TSB on the heads but they only replaced them if they fell in the symptoms.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/

Check that guys site he is on here it's awesome. Also cobra bobs site as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely read through the terminator-cobra.com (Joe) link. Great info!

Here is some additional info from my Terminator FAQs concerning the heads. Oh, and the tick issue is not confined to Cobras built before 11/2002. You'll notice that in my first link below if you read through Fords's TSB list (#03-11-4). Ford didn't release a head with a real fix for the coolant flow problem until 01/2005. You can resolve the flow issue with the factory heads built before 01/2005 with a head-cooling kit. Or replace the heads with the latest version. Only a small percentage of total production (2003-2004) have developed the tick issue.
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092338
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092459

Your Cobra looks really nice. Great to find one with such low miles. And I totally understand why you're someone "over the top" with the little production details. Trust me, you're not along. ;)

devin_svt

Established Member
The only recall these cars ever had was for the accelerator pedal plate for the carpet.

There was a TSB on the heads but they only replaced them if they fell in the symptoms.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/

Check that guys site he is on here it's awesome. Also cobra bobs site as well.

That makes sense that it was a TSB and not a complete recall. Im not too worried about it, the car will be staying original and it will not be getting driven much for the next two years due to my schedule. I have spoken with Joe before, His website is fantastic for good info.

devin_svt

Established Member
Definitely read through the terminator-cobra.com (Joe) link. Great info!

Here is some additional info from my Terminator FAQs concerning the heads. Oh, and the tick issue is not confined to Cobras built before 11/2002. You'll notice that in my first link below if you read through Fords's TSB list (#03-11-4). Ford didn't release a head with a real fix for the coolant flow problem until 01/2005. You can resolve the flow issue with the factory heads built before 01/2005 with a head-cooling kit. Or replace the heads with the latest version. Only a small percentage of total production (2003-2004) have developed the tick issue.
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092338
https://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092459

Your Cobra looks really nice. Great to find one with such low miles. And I totally understand why you're someone "over the top" with the little production details. Trust me, you're not along. ;)
I have never seen your website before, thank you for sharing! I have some of the coolant exit tubes off passenger heads off of part outs, i figured i would just use one of those for when i do it at some point. But thank you, I have been searching for a example like this for a while now. I Just have to get it cleaned up.

dom418

Established Member
I remember that car from the market section and wondered who bought it. Congratulations! Don't worry about the head tick. A lot of misinformation on that subject but as Bob stated any Terminator can develop it. Drive it and don't worry. The major of cobras early build or not were perfectly fine

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Everything looks normal to me except for those letters on the supercharger belt tensioner. Never saw that before.

Does this car have mudflaps on the rear?

devin_svt

Established Member
I remember that car from the market section and wondered who bought it. Congratulations! Don't worry about the head tick. A lot of misinformation on that subject but as Bob stated any Terminator can develop it. Drive it and don't worry. The major of cobras early build or not were perfectly fine
Thank you! Believe it or not, this car actually is not the one from the market. There are two 3000 mile mineral coupes out there lol. The other one had the front plate bracket installed, this one does not. I had asked the owner if he has posted it on here and he said he didnt. But being that the prior owner had this thing since 2003 and religiously drove it, im not worried about it. He did a great job preserving it.

devin_svt

Established Member
Everything looks normal to me except for those letters on the supercharger belt tensioner. Never saw that before.

Does this car have mudflaps on the rear?
yeah that specifically i have never seen before. But yes it does, thankfully he used the factory bumper holes and didn't drill new ones. do you recognize it? it was on Virginia craigslist.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
No I don't recognize it, it just looked like it had mudflaps on it in the last pic.

Congrats on your purchase, and enjoy!

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

Not to hijack this thread, but my terminator is a late build, April 2003 I believe. So head cooling mod is not needed for mine? I purchased a mod but haven't installed it yet. Again, sorry to hijack your thread op

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Not to hijack this thread, but my terminator is a late build, April 2003 I believe. So head cooling mod is not needed for mine? I purchased a mod but haven't installed it yet. Again, sorry to hijack your thread op

It won't hurt at all to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread