Ditch my 20" Shelby wheels?

BIGYUSM

Established Member
So I am thinking about going back to 18" or 19" wheels - the 20" look great , but are they too big ?
Running 3:73
I ask what your thoughts are ?
And Why

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I enjoy the look of a nice wheel and not so much of an ugly rubber tire. Like a local tire franchise owner used to say on his tv commercials "Tire's ain't pretty", and he is right, there is nothing good looking about a rubber tire, especially if you try to make it shine!

My 20's have tires installed that are the same overall diameter as the oem with the 18's, so there is more "pretty" to look at instead of ugly.

I also agree that if you are shooting for a more coushy ride, a taller sidewall is better.

There have also been some owners (I believe even on this forum) who have run in the 10's on 20's, so that myth also has been dispelled, that you can't drag race on 20's................

R

BIGYUSM

Established Member
I don't think I can go with the oem sidewall , my car has the Steeda lowering springs and ford racing suspension set up.
I'm gonna look into it a little more this week.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I don't think I can go with the oem sidewall , my car has the Steeda lowering springs and ford racing suspension set up.
I'm gonna look into it a little more this week.

^^^^Yes, I agree. I would never be able to use a oem height sidewall on my car currently, I would have to raise the Eibach coilovers back up to even think about it. Currently I have the front coilovers down as far as they will adjust (but I also have a 275 tire on the front). It would require a shorter tire to lower the nose any more, but I don't want to go backwards (down size tire) in the front end and lose precious grip when pressing my heavy nosed GT500 into a turn. The rear can be lower further, but at the level it is currently at, it seems to work well with the 325 rear tires and I have no contact issues..............

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

R

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I drove a buddy's GT with 18" wheels, and then he put on 20" wheels and the ride quality took a horrendous hit. Bumps and every other little thing were much more pronounced. Not only was the ride worse, but the newer wheels/tires affected the handling as well, that is, I noticed the car tramlining with the 20's. In all fairness, the 20" wheels had wider tires, so that may be the sole cause of the tramlining effect. Anyway, it convinced me to never put 20" wheels on anything, LOL.

Of course, I must also say that I live in Rhode Island, where the roads are absolutely horrendous. If you live somewhere that has smooth roads, then 20's might be just fine..............

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
And I always like to add this Team Shelby forum link when people claim 20's can't handle..................

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...snake-passes-them-all-at-buttomwillow/?hl=zr1

Maybe the difference is someone just bolting on 20's instead of building a package that works with the 20's? IDK?

There is quite a collection of upper end street performers listed in the field of competitors that day. To anyone reading this forum thread, and the link above.............How would your car perform against the cars listed, would it lead? or settle back in the pack somewhere?

I do agree, the taller side wall is a smoother ride, but then taller sidewall means more sideways sway in a corner......

Potholes and road imperfections can be murder on 20's.

R

Last edited:

weider1717

Established Member
^^^^Yes, I agree. I would never be able to use a oem height sidewall on my car currently, I would have to raise the Eibach coilovers back up to even think about it. Currently I have the front coilovers down as far as they will adjust (but I also have a 275 tire on the front). It would require a shorter tire to lower the nose any more, but I don't want to go backwards (down size tire) in the front end and lose precious grip when pressing my heavy nosed GT500 into a turn. The rear can be lower further, but at the level it is currently at, it seems to work well with the 325 rear tires and I have no contact issues..............

013_zpsrznssjzl.jpg

R
Look the picture with the switchyard in the back I'm a nuc guy. My current project is writing technical procedures TN's for changing out 25 230kv switchyard breakers :)

how wide are your rear wheels? 11" 12"?? what size wheels front and rear and what size tires, looks great!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Look the picture with the switchyard in the back I'm a nuc guy. My current project is writing technical procedures TN's for changing out 25 230kv switchyard breakers :)

how wide are your rear wheels? 11" 12"?? what size wheels front and rear and what size tires, looks great!

^^^Thanks.

Yes, the power substation background is kind of a unique background and looks pretty cool IMHO. I had looked at many backgrounds for my car, plants, buildings, palm trees etc, The power substation had a "Man" look to it in comparison to the other backgrounds. I train switching yard that is local to me is also a background that I may use in a future photo shoot.

My rear Alcoa's are 12" with the 325's. The fronts are 10" with 275's and were originally on the rear when it came back from Shelby. I bought a spare pair of Alcoa's for the rear wheel widening project. Getting those little 255's on a 9" rim off of the front and replacing them with 275's on 10" was one of the best handling performance upgrades I did on my heavy nosed GT500.

There are no mods to my car for the 12" rear install, no bump stop bracket removal, etc. The only thing I had to do is remove the rear brake ducts that Shelby installed as part of the Super Snake upgrade and also slip off the Eibach rear shock dust boots, it was either slip them off or cut them, they could not stay in place with that wide of a rear tire/wheel combo.

R

weider1717

Established Member
^^^Thanks.

Yes, the power substation background is kind of a unique background and looks pretty cool IMHO. I had looked at many backgrounds for my car, plants, buildings, palm trees etc, The power substation had a "Man" look to it in comparison to the other backgrounds. I train switching yard that is local to me is also a background that I may use in a future photo shoot.

My rear Alcoa's are 12" with the 325's. The fronts are 10" with 275's and were originally on the rear when it came back from Shelby. I bought a spare pair of Alcoa's for the rear wheel widening project. Getting those little 255's on a 9" rim off of the front and replacing them with 275's on 10" was one of the best handling performance upgrades I did on my heavy nosed GT500.

There are no mods to my car for the 12" rear install, no bump stop bracket removal, etc. The only thing I had to do is remove the rear brake ducts that Shelby installed as part of the Super Snake upgrade and also slip off the Eibach rear shock dust boots, it was either slip them off or cut them, they could not stay in place with that wide of a rear tire/wheel combo.

R
Hmm, this has me thinking should I not have stocker widend to 11" and just go with 11.5 or even 12" myself...I had planned to go 11" and run a 315/35/18 that comes out to 26.8 diameter with toys proxxes radial drag tire. But those 325's look amazing on the rear...wider is always better imo.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hmm, this has me thinking should I not have stocker widend to 11" and just go with 11.5 or even 12" myself...I had planned to go 11" and run a 315/35/18 that comes out to 26.8 diameter with toys proxxes radial drag tire. But those 325's look amazing on the rear...wider is always better imo.

I can get by with the 12" because of the aggressive Alcoa offset, other "lesser offset" wheels may hit the inside with a 12" width. it is probably safest to stay around 11.5 with a lesser aggressive offset. I have another pair to widen for a set of Dark Super Snake Alcoa's, I will probably go to 11.75" on them instead of 12". Not that 12" doesn't work, it is just maxxed out and I really didn't need to go that wide with the 325's. 5or 6 years ago, when I had the Alcoa's widened (it may have even been 8 years ago?) I was planning on using 335/30's, they fit, but would rub occasionally and the tire bulge looked too fat for my liking, so I sold the 335's and backed down to 325's. The 325/12" combo is the exact same overall diameter as the 10" Alcoa tire/wheel combination that Shelby installed on my car, so it still looks "correct Super Snake" from an outward view.....but then there are steam roller tires on the rear when a person takes a closer look.

R

fletchffletch

Established Member

Glad to know I'm not alone, I'm a nuc too. :)

Robert definitely knows how to take really good pics.

OP, sorry for thread hijack. Nothing to see here. Move along. ;)

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
@ OP:

You never mentioned which "Shelby" rims you are running on your car?

Are they the OE PP 19/20 rim?
Supersnake 20"rim?
New Venom rim?
Shelby Razor rim?

^^^^'Cause these fore-mentioned rims each weigh differently PLUS there's no mention of tire size & brand being used^^^^

BIGYUSM

Established Member
You're correct I didn't , brain fart

Shelby CS40
285/30/20 Nitto NT555

I'm looking at going with a bigger tire
A 305/35/20 drag radial. I just don't know if it will fit.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have a picture somewhere from about 8 years ago where a Super Snake owner installed a 305/35 Pirelli P-Zero on his 10" Alcoa and the tire was getting on the fat side for the rim width. <<The tire looked "pinched" at the rim. Tires of the same exact size will vary in height and width so the 305 drag radial that you are looking at may fit better because it may be narrower, but it will probably take an actual install to verify that because general "tire specs" from the internet are not brand specific and the different brands do vary widely in size and height on the same exact size of tires when compared side-by-side.

If I remember correctly a 10.5" minimum is generally recommended for a 305/35, and again that will depend upon the brand of tire and I have also seen a 305/35 on an 11" rim and it looked just right.

R

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Yes - that's what I think I'm gonna do
Order tires and try them out. If it doesn't fit right , I guess I'll have to get new wheels again.

Users who are viewing this thread