Ditch my 20" Shelby wheels?

paluka21

Established Member
IMG_0121.JPG
You're correct I didn't , brain fart

Shelby CS40
285/30/20 Nitto NT555

I'm looking at going with a bigger tire
A 305/35/20 drag radial. I just don't know if it will fit.

Will fit just fine if you don't mind a little sidewall bulge. I ran 305/35 Nitto NT555r's on the 10" wide Shelby Alcoa super snake wheels and was content with the fitment. Again, slight sidewall bulge but they looked just fine to me. I also know a local guy (007snake) who runs the same tires on the wheels you mentioned without issue.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes - that's what I think I'm gonna do
Order tires and try them out. If it doesn't fit right , I guess I'll have to get new wheels again.

The installed Nitto's shown above look good. Nitto's are know to run narrower that other brand tires of the same size, I have seen Nitto Invo's mounted on rims and they look fine but other tires of the same size look fat. I would think you should be safe with a Nitto as a starting point for fitment.

If you really like your current wheels, widening is an option to get the exact fit you are looking for..........

R

paluka21

Established Member
The installed Nitto's shown above look good. Nitto's are know to run narrower that other brand tires of the same size, I have seen Nitto Invo's mounted on rims and they look fine but other tires of the same size look fat. I would think you should be safe with a Nitto as a starting point for fitment.

If you really like your current wheels, widening is an option to get the exact fit you are looking for..........

R

Agreed. The Nitto drag radials do run on the narrow side compared to a Michelin, Toyo, or most other tire brands. I've seen guys run the 305/315 Nitto drag radials on the stock 9.5" Shelby wheels with success, albeit with a bit more sidewall bulge. Try to fit a Michelin MPSS 305 on a stock wheel, it would swallow it.
As Robert M suggested, widening the wheels to get the width you want from the wheel, tire, and contact patch is a good alternative. I followed suit from many of the Alcoa guys and had mine widened so I could run wider meat in the rear without trying to fit a wider tire on a narrow wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread