Ditch the cobra get a 5.0?

Sell/Trade in 03/04 Cobra for 5.0?

• Yes, Cobra is paid off

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Yes, still making payments on 03/04 and don't care!

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • No, Cobra is paid off and car payments suck

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • No, Need to pay off the cobra and get mod happy!

Votes: 20 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LSwat

Established Member
I did a little searching and didn't see a thread on this, but would you ditch your 03/04 Cobra for a new 2011 5.0?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
there are quite a few threads on it, most people say "for daily driving, get the 5.0, for racing/weekend car keep the cobra"

LSwat

Established Member
there are quite a few threads on it, most people say "for daily driving, get the 5.0, for racing/weekend car keep the cobra"

I did find one about an individual who test drove one and was thinking about it, just was wondering with all the hype of these new cars if anyone is swapping out old for new.

03SVTSnakeBite

Sick Snake
Established Member
Listen guys I sell Fords and drive them daily. The new 5.0s are sick but they don't measure up to an 03-04 Cobra by any means. Power stock to stock is comparable but not equal. Don't forget how that S/C whines !! 5.0 is a beast but I'd rather keep my 03 Cobra

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I can't think of a situation where I'd trade my Cobra for a new GT. The new GT's may have similar power, but they're not 03/04 Cobra. With the Cobra's you get a car that you can mod to insane power levels with a fairly low amount of mod money. You get a whole lot more exclusivity as well. I see about about 1 03/04 Cobra a month where I live, whereas I'm sure in a year I'll see 15 GT's a day here just like I do the new Camaros. They're badass rides, but no thanks.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Listen guys I sell Fords and drive them daily. The new 5.0s are sick but they don't measure up to an 03-04 Cobra by any means. Power stock to stock is comparable but not equal. Don't forget how that S/C whines !! 5.0 is a beast but I'd rather keep my 03 Cobra

this is a byist statement.

03SVTSnakeBite

Sick Snake
Established Member
It's a true statement because I bleed blue! I'm a diehard Ford Fanatic and work for FMC. I love the new 5.0 but I love my 03 Cobra more.

StangmanRob

Established Member
No thanks, I don't want a car that everyone and their grandma can pick up. I like the limited # of cobras made and hand built engines yada yada yada. Not to mention the $30K price tag. Now to trade for a new cobra, yes.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I can't think of a situation where I'd trade my Cobra for a new GT. The new GT's may have similar power, but they're not 03/04 Cobra. With the Cobra's you get a car that you can mod to insane power levels with a fairly low amount of mod money. You get a whole lot more exclusivity as well. I see about about 1 03/04 Cobra a month where I live, whereas I'm sure in a year I'll see 15 GT's a day here just like I do the new Camaros. They're badass rides, but no thanks.

this represents my exact sentiments....but in the end, you have to drive it. Go see what you feel more comfortable in. sounds like either way you'll still have a mustang so GL2U

ViciousJay

Established Member

It's a true statement because I bleed blue! I'm a diehard Ford Fanatic and work for FMC. I love the new 5.0 but I love my 03 Cobra more.

FAIL!

Cobras are nice, great cars, love to own another but its proving to be outdated. Unless your roll racing the new GT runs par with pullied cobra's from a dig with less mods needed and more comfort.

The cobra has a classic look that will always catch an enthusiast's eye but to any Joe its just another loud mustang

LSwat

Established Member
I believe they feel like completely different animals. the 04 body style just has an all around different feel to it. When I think Mustang that's the feel I think. However, this different feel isn't necessarily bad, I'm just uncertain if I like it.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Honestly, the only way that I would even consider it, is if it was a completely lateral trade for a fully decked out GT, because I paid for my car in full when I bought it a few years back, and to me I have brought it to a much higher level at this point, so it would definitely not be worthwhile to me, to take on a car payment, just for the sake of having the newest model (today). Just remember, 5 years from now, when you are still making payments on the whiz bang GT, it will just be another "old" car, but by then, I am willing to bet that the Terminator will be well on it's way back up in value due to it's exclusivity.

03SVTSnakeBite

Sick Snake
Established Member
FAIL!

Cobras are nice, great cars, love to own another but its proving to be outdated. Unless your roll racing the new GT runs par with pullied cobra's from a dig with less mods needed and more comfort.

The cobra has a classic look that will always catch an enthusiast's eye but to any Joe its just another loud mustang

It's a matter of personal opinion and preference.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
WTF is up with these ridiculous people comparing the 5.slow to a 03/04, for crying out loud people....
They arent even in the same level. The gt is just your regular production car while the Cobra is a very special car that will eventually have a place in history.

03SVTSnakeBite

Sick Snake
Established Member
WTF is up with these ridiculous people comparing the 5.slow to a 03/04, for crying out loud people....
They arent even in the same level. The gt is just your regular production car while the Cobra is a very special car that will eventually have a place in history.

FTW x2

ViciousJay

Established Member
It's a matter of personal opinion and preference.

no its not, numbers dont lie, track times dont lie, ill forever love the body style but your a byist person and sounding like the cobra is the end of cars, it isnt

some of you guys just sound too damn immature! you bleed blue :rolling eyes
seriously i couldnt car if it looked like a pinto, im all about the motor and platform. More of the older guys will agree that the car has its flaws but the cobra will be remembered. The reason people are comparing the two is because the GT has less weight, .4 more cubes and runs similar if not faster times then a stock cobra and when lightly modded can hang if not BEAT a cobra thats modded in a 1/4 mile

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Bias....not byist lol.

They are two totally different cars.

03/04 has a far better driveline (unless you really like archaic stick axle), a better motor if you wanna make up to 700whp on blower (and more on snails) without having to spend $$$ building one, and has that rarity factor.

'11 GT is still just a GT. Sure its power is there, but it is just another n/a GT. Its benefits is a far more refined ride, a far greater/rigid chassis, better mileage, and a warranty. Itll never have any rarity factor like a 03/04 Cobra will, and it wont hold its value like the Cobras have. 5 years from now a '11 GT will be had for low 20's, which is where well likely still be seeing the nicer 03/04's still.

The general consensus (and its that way for a reason) is '11 GT makes a great powerful comfy DD, and 03/04 Cobra is still the cheaper mod friendly platform for weekend warriors.

Users who are viewing this thread