Do I need a custom tune for a ported apten??

jpicc

Established Member
If I just put a ported apten on with the stock pulley do I need a custom tune or will the factory tune work? I going to run an interchangable pulley, so I will have a custom tune for the smaller one. But most of the time I'll have the stock sized pulley on the car. (2.93/3.65) Thanks for the help!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You could call Apten and ask them. Or if you do decide to port your blower and keep the stock pulley, take it right to a dyno and get your Air/Fuel ratio checked out. As long as you aren't getting on it, the car will be OK to drive to the dyno. You could also use a flip chip and put one tune on it for ported blower only and another for ported blower and pulley. Flip a switch and the tune changes.

Edit-Great minds think alike. LOL!:-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The answer will best come from the dyno. Get your car on a dyno and check out your A/F. You may or may not need a tune with the stock pulley. I'm going to lean towards saying it won't be necessary because the stock A/F is so pig rich. When I installed my Apten blower my A/F went lean by .5 - 1.0 point. Check your own to be certain.

P.S. I went to the dyno EVERY time I added an engine mod. Cheap insurance IMO. Even got me a special "frequent user" discount from my dyno operator. LOL!

jpicc

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
The answer will best come from the dyno. Get your car on a dyno and check out your A/F. You may or may not need a tune with the stock pulley. I'm going to lean towards saying it won't be necessary because the stock A/F is so pig rich. When I installed my Apten blower my A/F went lean by .5 - 1.0 point. Check your own to be certain.

P.S. I went to the dyno EVERY time I added an engine mod. Cheap insurance IMO. Even got me a special "frequent user" discount from my dyno operator. LOL!

Thanks I need to find a dyno that is close to me. Any ideas on how to find that out?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Post the question here in another thread. Word of mouth will find you one. Or do a search. Someone may have asked it already.

Users who are viewing this thread