Do I need a custom tune?

cgg074

Established Member
Hi guys,

This are the only mods my 04 has:

K&N FIPK Gen II
Flowmasters Super 40 (welded in)
Eliminated both rear cats converters - still have the two closer to the engine.

I just bought the DiabloSport Predator and a 2.93 pulley instead of a 2.80.
(TR6's and Aux. Idler also).

Do I need a Custom Tune, or the will the "Pulley tune" that comes with the Predator work for the 2.93 pulley?

I went to RWTD website but it has been offline for a while.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

SVTspeed

Established Member
i woudnt know how to answer ur ? - sorry but if i may ask u a question.. how do u know if the FIPK u bought is a GEN II? Also where did u buy it from? And the other ? i have also is and maybe it can help u - a custom tune is just so it gets the best results for you.. your setup is fairly simple as of now so I dont think you NEED it however i would suggest a custom tune for the few extra dollars.

Also, why did u choose the 2.93 pulley instead of the 2.8/2.76?

cgg074

Established Member
SVTspeed said:
i woudnt know how to answer ur ? - sorry but if i may ask u a question.. how do u know if the FIPK u bought is a GEN II? Also where did u buy it from? And the other ? i have also is and maybe it can help u - a custom tune is just so it gets the best results for you.. your setup is fairly simple as of now so I dont think you NEED it however i would suggest a custom tune for the few extra dollars.

Also, why did u choose the 2.93 pulley instead of the 2.8/2.76?

K&N FIPK II $159 shipped from Socal Motorsports
I did feel power gains with it. I highly recommend it.

Why 2.93, just conservative. And besides, between 2.93 and 2.80 there is not much difference in HP gain.

DCHall

Established Member
I have similar mods so I can answer a couple of those questions.

I bought my gen 2 on ebay...part # 57-2545

2.93 non-slip pulley because it doesn't require an idler and you can keep the stock pulley cover on.

cgg074

Established Member
DCHall said:

2.93 non-slip pulley because it doesn't require an idler and you can keep the stock pulley cover on.

Do you have a custom tune?
Where did you get it?

DCHall

Established Member
I have a SCT custom chip from JDM.

I put it on the dyno and everything was great. The a/f was around 11.5 and the car runs strong.

The predator tune should be fine with the pulley, but it's always nice to make sure by going to a dyno.

Last edited:

BenD

Established Member
You don't need it.

DCHall said:

The stock pulley cover is unnecessary weight, even though it's minimal, it's still weight, but the other issue is heat. It does trap a certain amount of heat that otherwise would be more quickly dissipated. It's important to dissipate heat anywhere and everwhere you can think of. Heat is a major enemy to these engines. Once you start reducing pulley sizes heat builds like crazy the instant you put your foot in it. Big exchangers, big radiators, big after coolers and ceramic headers are a must.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A custom tune is always going to be better than a stock Predator tune IMO if the person doing the tune is experienced. I personally prefer a dyno tune. Just do a search and you'll find case after case where a tune from a known tuner (like JDM, SCT or RWTD) makes more power than a the Predator pulley tune, for example. Remember, too, that a lot of the so-called custom chip tunes are often simply an enhanced off-the-shelf tune. That's not bad. You just need to know what you're getting. The more time doing the tune the more the cost, so remember that as well. The Predator tune might just work well enough. What would be helpful would be if you had, say, the Predator pulley tune and you knew someone with the same mods who had a custom dyno tune. You could then compare dyno results and decide if you want to either go with a custom tune or stick with what you have with maybe some minor tweaking with the Predator. The increased performance in the dyno tune may or may not be worth the money you'll pay for it, depending on what your net gain ends up being. Just some thoughts.

cgg074

Established Member
I contacted DiabloSports and they told me that the Pulley tune works very well and safe for the 2.93.

I will use that tune and then go to a dyno to make sure the a/f is good.

One more thing, RPM Outlet sent me the GY Gatorback 4080740; is that the correct one for the 2.93 with the aux. idler? All other pulleys are stock.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
cgg074 said:
I contacted DiabloSports and they told me that the Pulley tune works very well and safe for the 2.93.

I will use that tune and then go to a dyno to make sure the a/f is good.

One more thing, RPM Outlet sent me the GY Gatorback 4080740; is that the correct one for the 2.93 with the aux. idler? All other pulleys are stock.
Yes, that is the correct belt size for your application. You might want to bookmark my Belt Selection Guide for future use.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/BeltSelectionGuide.htm

cgg074

Established Member
Thank you guys, for all your replies.

About the difference between FIPK and FIPK Gen II, I really don't know.

Gen II it's the latest release.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Predator factory tunes are crap, many feel the same. Spend the extra money and wait for rwtd to come back online, james is sick right now. I heard nothing but pinging with both the 91 and 93 octane factory tunes. Don't use them without being checked on a dyno, motor repair costs too much.

03yellow

Established Member
Yes

You are loosing alot of hp. The predator canned tune does not disable several of your cars overide systems. Your blower is not running to its peak performance.
Plus: it will not disable: your rear cats, boost bypass, and your shift light.

PS if you want a 2.76 pulley;I'll trade for your factory pulley. I purchased a 2.76 non slip pulley and it performs the same as my(trade) regular 2.76 pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread