Do I need a Fuel Pump Booster?

RJ13GT

Established Member
I finally got a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. My fuel pressure is about 53-54psi running and when I go WOT as the rpm rises it drops down to about 47-48psi. The AFR looks good in the 11's sometimes it will hit like a 12.1 AFR before shifting depending. So I think generally the fuel pressure is good but sometimes at certain speeds when it is floored suddenly and the rpm flies up to the shift point real quick, I noticed today the fuel pressure rapidly drop to around 45 and the engine bogs momentarily. I've noticed the car bogged like this maybe a handfull of times when going wot rapidly at a certain speed. No knock or anything when it does it. I thought it could have been something with the torque management or something but now I think it is fuel related. The car has a basic Procharger Stg 2 kit at 7.5 psi, 52lb injectors that came with the kit. Making a little over 500 rwhp.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
it doesn't hurt to have a safety margin

we do a lot of the jms plug and plays, that have a tps sensor, so that it only boosts at WOT

who is tuning the car? or is it the canned tune?

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
You do Not need a BAP for 500whp... I was running 600 whp without one w/ 47lb injectors. I wonder if your stock pump is on its way out. Sounds like you need to data log it.

RJ13GT

Established Member
It was dyno tuned at PCM in Raleigh NC. I did just buy a JMS boost activated BAP should be here next week.
It seems like it does okay and the fuel stays safe for the most part but in certain conditions like colder weather and with this stall converter being looser and revving faster it has a dip in pressure under certain circumstances. I figured I would hook this BAP up and put it on the lowest setting 14.5v and see if that helps and dial it up until the pressure holds steady. Hopefully it wont a have negative effect on my tune. I'm really mostly worried about that dip in pressure and the engine bogging.

Last edited:

RJ13GT

Established Member
I don't know. I know it shouldn't need A BAP but I'm going to put one on I guess. I will need one soon anyway. After reading around it sounds like fuel pressure shouldn't go down at all while accelerating and it is going from 54psi to 47psi. So i will see if I can steady the pressure and I will see how the pump does. The car only has 5500 miles on it so I hope the pump is good.

RJ13GT

Established Member
a bap won't negatively effect your tune

it is always best to datalog and send to your tuner

Yeah that's good. I'm going to get back with my tuner but in the mean time I will put this booster on and see if i can keep the pressure steady.

Users who are viewing this thread