do I need a retune?

ABQSLOBRA

The MADNESS
Established Member
off road x sounds like shit on a 4.6

It's all opinion, I know I know, but I tend to agree with you. My buddy had an 03 with Bassani o/r X and Bassani catback that sounded like complete crap. I bought his Bassani o/r X and put Flowmaster American Thunder dumps on the end and get A LOT of compliments on it, including the guy who sold me the exhaust! My heads/cam LS1 buddy's even like the sound of my car now and they usually HATE the 4.6 sound. The horrible raspy sound his car had is completely gone. My car has a much deeper tone, really aggressive. I'll post a sound clip in the next couple days. :) Anyway...

You should be fine with the stock H, maybe a little rich.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another thing to consider is that X-pipes in general produce a more exotic sound, as compared to the stock H-pipe. The MRT H-pipe retains the classic Mustang muscle sound of the 4.6 with a louder sound. Which is why many prefer the aftermarket H-pipes over the X-pipes. I had an X-pipe on my '03 and never liked the sound. A friend had the same car with the MRT H-pipe and it sounded so much better. But like ABQSLOBRA said, it is all opinion. At least some of it is. The note about the sound being different between an H-pipe and an X-pipe is fact. :)

Tune wise you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread