Do I need this?

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
This weekend at the track I had to pull off due to a metal rod thinger-dinger (highly technical term) hanging off the car.

In the pits, I saw that it was a hollow rod that runs between the two boots on the steering rack. Someone mentioned that it was used to equalize air pressure between the two boots to keep them from popping off. With that bit of info, I yanked it off.

Is this what it's for? Is this part really needed?

If not, should I plug up the female end to keep debris from entering the boots?

If so, should I take it off at the track since I can't have it come off again.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
This weekend at the track I had to pull off due to a metal rod thinger-dinger (highly technical term) hanging off the car.

In the pits, I saw that it was a hollow rod that runs between the two boots on the steering rack. Someone mentioned that it was used to equalize air pressure between the two boots to keep them from popping off. With that bit of info, I yanked it off.

Is this what it's for? Is this part really needed?

If not, should I plug up the female end to keep debris from entering the boots?

If so, should I take it off at the track since I can't have it come off again.

If you take it off at the track then they might not be too happy with you when you start leaking power steering fluid on the track.

If its there then its probably for a reason and you might need it.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
But there's nothing, from what I could tell, in it. Doesn't look like any fluid has ever been through it.
Will try to get a pic of the rod as well as the attachment points on the steering rack.

Best pic I have at the moment:
007_HPDE2012RBerrington_07.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread