do msd coil packs fail ?????

jorgegt500

Established Member
I have brand new coil packs on my sc 98 cobra and I'm thinking that's the reason why it misses and sputters like crazy any ideas guys?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
All of them can fail, but the stockers fail much less often. The MSDs add no power and they fail the most often.

DailyDriver

Established Member
I have brand new coil packs on my sc 98 cobra and I'm thinking that's the reason why it misses and sputters like crazy any ideas guys?

Well was it doing it Before the MSD install?, if it wasnt then theres your problem. Fastest way to tell is plug into the OBD2 and see if theres a code for it. mabye you didnt put the right spark plug wires to the correct spark plugs

All of them can fail, but the stockers fail much less often. The MSDs add no power and they fail the most often.

where are you getting that info from??? Ya MSDs fail all the time thats why everyone buys them when making aperformance car,

MSD's make the plug burn hotter which burns the fuel more completely adding a small amount of hp plus there cheeper then those over priced oem ones

Last edited:

4vRedone

Banned
Well was it doing it Before the MSD install?, if it wasnt then theres your problem. Fastest way to tell is plug into the OBD2 and see if theres a code for it. mabye you didnt put the right spark plug wires to the correct spark plugs

where are you getting that info from??? Ya MSDs fail all the time thats why everyone buys them when making aperformance car,

MSD's make the plug burn hotter which burns the fuel more completely adding a small amount of hp plus there cheeper then those over priced oem ones

It doesnt make the plug burn more hot it creates a stronger spark, to ignite the air fuel mixture.... And its been proven that msd modular stuff sucks, ford oem is by far the best you can buy as far as reliability and as far as performance there is no gains to be had with aftermarket coil packs.

willieDOHC

Established Member
I installed those on my car and had nothing but problems. The car was always breaking up at WOT, ditched them for the stock units and car ran perfect

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member

Having a plug with a shorter cone will burn hotter, the coil pack just sends a higher voltage

98fourvalve

Established Member
Msd coil packs fail all the time. Its a myth people "buy" them for performance cars. If you look at a lot of the high horsepower coil pack cars/build threads they ditch the crappy aftermarket ones for oems. Why? Because they have issues. I have a set of msds on my n/a build and had issues with breaking up I assumed were due to lack of tune. Once I switched to oems just for giggles it no longer breaks up.

Some people get lucky tho and get a good batch of msds, but for the most part Iwould avoid them like the plague.

Msd ignition boxes on the other hand are a whole different story.

Jonesy98

Established Member
i have several stock ones lol. i think i actually have 2 other pairs. but your pretty far to just try them out lol

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If I were building another big block carbed car then yes,
MSD 6 or 7al and blaster coil, dist, etc.....

For these cars the MSD modular parts tend to be crap and the stock coils have plenty enough voltage for almost any build out there.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Ironically I trashed my MSD coil packs less then a week ago because my car started to run like crap and threw a CEL light for bad coils. I put my stockers on amd now I have no issues.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I don't know what y'all are talking about....3 years strong baby! An counting.

+1

Had my msd dis-4 12 years it just died last month because of my own fault.

I also use their wires for the last 8-9 years and no problems there either.

It seems their products get bashed all the time.

I have my stock coil packs on the car. 14 years old. 45k. I would use the stockers if mine failed.

Last edited:

jmsa540

Established Member
I've had my msd coil packs for over two years now.. Car still runs great, actually when I replaced them it seemed like the car would start stronger. I replaced the originals when they had 115K miles on them.

98fourvalve

Established Member
+1

Had my msd dis-4 12 years it just died last month because of my own fault.

I also use their wires for the last 8-9 years and no problems there either.

It seems their products get bashed all the time.

I have my stock coil packs on the car. 14 years old. 45k. I would use the stockers if mine failed.

I hardly see anyone ever trash on MSD's products except for the modular coil packs. The DIS-4 and similar are great.

Users who are viewing this thread