Do Nittos flat spot?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Ever since I've had the 555 (front) and 555r (rear) I have had a slight steering wheel shake for the first few miles every time I drive. Always goes away after appx 2 or 3 miles!

If it were a wheel balance issue I don't think it would go away. The only thing I can imagine is that the tires take a "set" after sitting for 8 hrs or so. Does this make sense? Ideas?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I'd find that very unlikely. how much pressure in the fronts?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They aren't flat spotting. I'd check air pressure and make sure they are road force balanced.

Moburto10GT

I wouldn't think that they would flat spot that quickly. I do know that after my car sat for a few days when i was on vacation that i did have a little steering wheel shake and it also went away after a few miles of driving.

R1Lello

Established Member
Yes they do, radials aren't near as bad as the past bias ply but they do, that's why I store mine for 6 mths in the winter with an extra 5-7 lbs.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They do but not in 8 hrs....

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Yes they do, radials aren't near as bad as the past bias ply but they do, that's why I store mine for 6 mths in the winter with an extra 5-7 lbs.

This^^^.,,. any tire can flat spot .,. but improper tire pressure is prolly the biggest reason for it in todays tires :-D

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I keep them around 30 psi for daily driving. And it clears right up after a few miles driving. I'll look into a road force balance.

It just seems odd that it goes away after a few miles? Was worse when I took it out after it sat for 3 months and the temp was around 50 degrees. I had the shake at 30 MPH. Usually it is not noticeable until 45 MPH.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As your tire heats up, pressure increases. Try adding a few pounds to your tires - the factory says to use 35lbs for proper inflation. Not sure why you are running 30.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I thought everyone ran DRs a little low for traction, especially on these cars? Actually I usually stick with 32, but will try 35.

I suppose I could try putting my OEM fronts on to see if I can find out if it is front or back too. Maybe narrow it down to a single wheel.

stepuptata

Established Member
My front 555 had to be replaced due to flat spotting.
My rear 555r are terrible. Car sat for 3 months and it shakes terrible!

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I always ran 25psi in the street with my 555R's....

Yes they do flat spot after a few days but a little driving gets them round again..

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Let me rephrase...... 25psi city and for long highway trips I would bump up to 32-35psi depending on temperature

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
if you know the car is going to sit for an extended period one should pump the air up to 35-37 psi (imo) or get the weight off them by lifting the car and using jack stands

white88lx

Established Member
+1 for the roadforce

Could have been just as simple as going to the tire shop where they had a shitty calibration on the balancers. It happens i worked at one for 5+ years during school

Users who are viewing this thread