DO resonator deletes need a tune?

oko3612

Established Member
As the title states I was wondering if I would need to tune my car if i get my resonators deleted?

I have done some research and it seems if i get them deleted then I would need to get a tune in order not to get a code from the rear o2 sensors. Does this sound about right?

I want to tune my car but just dont have the money right now seeing as i'm finishing up college. Sorry if this topic has been discussed several times but just wanted some concrete input. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nuar

Established Member
resonators just change sound.... so no... whatever you read was incorrect.
You only need to mess with the tune if you remove the cats (when talking about exhaust setups that is)
Rear o2 sensors are in front of the resonators and after the cats, so if they are there or not, the sensors will not know the difference.

q6543

Established Member
Bro, first thing I did was drop the reso ators and the whole catback for that matter. No tune,

also dynomax has a race bullet catback priced better than the rest, and typically make the most power being tru 3" thru type mufflers.
It is a little on the loud end but I race so ........because racecar!

btw after off road x and tune car is insane

redline5.0

Established Member
No tune required with resonator deletes, but ear plugs are required. I was running full exhaust headers back, off road x pipe, slp resonators, and muffler deletes. It sounded tits at wot but everything else sounded like shit.

Nuar

Established Member
thanks for the response Nuar. ill eventually pick up a lethal h and get at tune then.

No problem man. Sounds like a plan, just be aware that the resonators cut down on some of the rasp and poppines of the exhaust and you will get a lot of that with deleting the cats (lethal H)
The resonators don't hurt anything until the higher horse power levels. I would leave them in (and did lol) and get some nice mufflers. Cat backs are nice but they (ALMOST) all are made the exact same way, which causes problems when lowering the car. The 3" piping and the way it is routed leaves little to no room for the axle to travel up and down...
JPC and LETHAL PERFORMANCE make Gen 2 over the axle pipes that get rid of the resonators and are designed with lowered cars in mind, they also feature the ball and socket type connection to the axle backs so you can choose any axle back you want to really make the whole exhaust exactly the way you want.

Riptide

Established Member
Never taking mine out again. I had them welded back on and almost all of the tinny metallic sounding rasp was gone. I never thought an H pipe could sound so terrible until I cut the resonators out. What an F up that was. I'd rather have quieter but sounds good vs. loud and sounds god awful.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
I had the res deleted with 3" pipes, 3" custom H pipe retaining the factory cats, and 3" Magnaflow packs, I wouldn't have this any other way for now, will see what happens when I do headers, it seems the issue with the rasp and resonators starts once the cats are deleted, and its even more accentuated after that + long tubes.

Riptide

Established Member
This is correct. Mine sounded fine when I removed the resonators and installed the lethal oap. Once the factory H pipe went out and the offroad H went in the rasp showed up.

The offroad pipe introduces the rasp and the resonators help clean it up.

Users who are viewing this thread