Do we know if a Pulley swap will be easy again???

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
Ford will prob find a way for you not to be able to thanks to all the 03-04's that came into a dealership modded and still got warrentied. I highly doubt they'll let it happen again but ya never know :shrug:

2814v

Established Member
It looks like any other press on pulley, so it wont be hard to change. But take a closer look and notice how small it all ready is. You cant go much smaller with out tons of belt slip. The 03/04 has a second v-belt behind the belt that works the ex. and blower, it is much harder to get to. That is the belt running the blower on the GT500.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I posted this a year ago! No room for a lower pulley swap! Only 10 mm of clearance.
The upper pulley can be pulled off just like the 03/04's, but the pulley hangs over the snout. That's important because it don't allow you to use a smaller pulley to gain more boost.

You can get around that by shorttening the snout and making the drive shaft longer. I'm sure someone is already working on that! ;-)

The 10 rib belt that drives the pulley is behind the other belt that drives everything else. It will be a little tougher to swap.

FYI:
Also the 122 eaton can be ported just like the 03/04 blowers.

The problem with all this is the bottom end is only safe to around 600 RWHP. after that your driving a time bomb!

Tim :beer:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
I posted this a year ago! No room for a lower pulley swap! Only 10 mm of clearance.
The upper pulley can be pulled off just like the 03/04's, but the pulley hangs over the snout. That's important because it don't allow you to use a smaller pulley to gain more boost.

You can get around that by shorttening the snout and making the drive shaft longer. I'm sure someone is already working on that! ;-)

The 10 rib belt that drives the pulley is behind the other belt that drives everything else. It will be a little tougher to swap.

FYI:

The problem with all this is the bottom end is only safe to around 600 RWHP. after that your driving a time bomb!

My whole world is turning upside down here so forgive me but I always thought Ford built the stangs and SVTs for guys like us who spend quadrillions of $$ in the aftermarket. If it's actually the opposite - I'm going to have to reevaluate my priorities in life.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
samill2 said:
My whole world is turning upside down here so forgive me but I always thought Ford built the stangs and SVTs for guys like us who spend quadrillions of $$ in the aftermarket. If it's actually the opposite - I'm going to have to reevaluate my priorities in life.

Nope. They want you to stay stock so they don't have to fix your problem when it breaks. Warranty or not. The only thing that ford is really doing with the aftermarket is the Whipple, and even that is only recommended at no more than 13 PSI which is just as safe on the stock block as the Eaton at 8-9 PSI. And with the whipple at 13 PSI they say you will not need to change any tuning or fuel system. But even with the aftermarket whipple bought from Ford, your warranty will be shot.

-Jeff

proxemics

Established Member
11593.jpg

I don't know if this pic tell any thing
but you may want to take a look at it

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, there is really no room for a smaller pulley without some snout modifications..

Hey Dougie, looks like you have your work cut out for you on this one, but if you are the first to figure it out you will make a mint on it. :beer:

-Jeff

chuckstang

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:

FYI:

So are the 03/04's that run around with more then 600 time bombs as well????

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
LR 01 Cobra said:

While that may or may not be true, it's hard to believe that they would set such a low (relative) target, especially on that kinda motor at that price level at this point in time with them already having publicly acknowledged awareness that owners like modding their cars; and it's only a matter of time before new owners do just that and with a (relatively) weak motor it would actually cause them MORE problems and loss in credability in the long run.

I already see several opportunities around the existing arrangement (as it appears so far) but i'm not about to STATE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS IN A PUBLIC FORUM so Ford can spend the next 5.5 months closing those loopholes too :)

Make it more difficult (and/or more expensive) to mod to shore up warrenty concerns on a motor with good potential- OK, i'll play that game, nobody will blame Ford if they blow it up at 800rwhp on pump gas. Making it more difficult to mod primarily to protect a weaker motor with less safety margin because it was built to save a few bucks - bad bad bad idea.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
chuckstang said:
So are the 03/04's that run around with more then 600 time bombs as well????

The 03/04's have BETTER rods! Depending on the tune and many other things, yes they can be time bombs as well! The GT 500 rods are more of a production piece than the 03/04 rods! I've seen a lot of the 03/04's getting the lower half redone, due to people pushing the limits. We have 2 Very well respected shops here in Cincinnati, Paul's Automotive and MD Motorsports. I spend a lot of time at both, and turn some wrenchs at MD. I'm just trying to help people out! You can believe what you want!

Tim

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here is another quick answer. THE SVT budget is not what it used to be. They don't have the money to built the number of cars they want to build with bullet proof parts any more. Just look at how the GT500 has changed from concept to now. The bean counters are wrecking this car, and they do not care about people who want to mod it, nor do they care if the engine will hold up above what it is rated for.

-Jeff

broeli

Established Member
We have 2 Very well respected shops here in Cincinnati, Paul's Automotive and MD Motorsports. I spend a lot of time at both, and turn some wrenchs at MD
True. Pauls Auto. Eng. is a great shop. He did the head/intake port work on my '92 and did the dyno tuning. He also built my 428CJ shortblock for my '69 r-code Mach 1. I used to spend a decent amount of time there but I haven't stopped by for several years :( Real good shop and nice guy. Great shop for extreme build-ups OR getting a concours restoration :)
I'm sure he'll have a GT500 in the shop and on the rollers soon after they're out.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
In Fords defense: They are building a car to handle 475 HP and it will do that! When we mod a car we are asking it to do something it’s not designed to do. Yes, it would be great if they would give us a better bottom end, but it does what it claims! So mod at your own risk and don’t expect Ford to honor your warranty if you do! It’s a chance you’ll take. I don’t have a problem with that, I’ve had a 01 and a 03 Cobra both were great cars. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this will be a great car.

Tim

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
In Fords defense: They are building a car to handle 475 HP and it will do that! When we mod a car we are asking it to do something it’s not designed to do. Yes, it would be great if they would give us a better bottom end, but it does what it claims! So mod at your own risk and don’t expect Ford to honor your warranty if you do! It’s a chance you’ll take. I don’t have a problem with that, I’ve had a 01 and a 03 Cobra both were great cars. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this will be a great car.

Tim

I agree. Expecting a car to make a minimum of 100 hp with a pulley swap and exhaust is expecting alot. Expecting it to do it reliably is wishful thinking.

The Terminators did it.. Great..
The GT500? It has yet to prove it self..

I'm looking forward to seeing them on the dynos, and also seeing what the bottom ends can handle.. Its going to make for great entertainment, especially since I know a few of you out there, wont be able to resist and will be tuning away, as soon as you take delivery. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Purvis said:
I'm looking forward to seeing them on the dynos, and also seeing what the bottom ends can handle.. Its going to make for great entertainment, especially since I know a few of you out there, wont be able to resist and will be tuning away, as soon as you take delivery. :thumbsup:

LOL I'm picking mine up and going straight to MD to put in on the dyno. Then the CAI, exhaust and a tune. Should have everything waiting at MD. The same thing I did with the 01 and 03.

Tim :-D

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
LR 01 Cobra said:
LOL I'm picking mine up and going straight to MD to put in on the dyno. Then the CAI, exhaust and a tune. Should have everything waiting at MD. The same thing I did with the 01 and 03.

Tim :-D

No break in for you..:beer:

I did the same thing. It was on the dyno with about 900 miles on the clock, and she has ran great ever since. No serious engine problems, or tick, or anything else. Knock on wood.

-Jeff

4.6speed

Established Member
samill2 said:
Are you kidding me? Aftermarket is just that aftermarket. Ford does not make any money when you buy aftermarket parts and mod the shit out of your car with them. Ford is only stuck with trying to decide if a warranty claim is legitimate. Don't get me wrong I was modding my car with less than 500 miles on it and alot of people did the same but they can't handle when their car breaks, then they expect Ford to pay for it.

mrGT

Established Member
I'm beginning to see why all the "I'm gonna wait and get mine for invoice" speak is necessary....so you can afford the after market stuff. It sounds like some are willing to push the envelope of the engine and car......when you push the envelope, you better have enuff reserve to pick up the pieces and put it back together again. By the time everyone is thru modding this thing to get the maximum and putting the car thru it's paces, you'll probably lose just as much as someone who is willing to pay above MSRP when you go to sell it....if not more.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
This car seems more like a car you just go out and buy and enjoy, but looks to be a pricey adventure for those that want big big power.
anotherwords you could do it for less and go faster in the 03/04...but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread