Do you Daily Drive your Mustang?

Do you DD the 'stang?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Is it just my imagination, or is Ford having a reliability issue with the 5.2 engines? GT350s that eat oil and grenade for no reason and just saw 2 youtube dudes with the new GT500s blow their engines.

Meanwhile, VMP shows off a dailied 2012 GT500 with powder metal rods make 800RWHP on stock exhaust with the Gen3 2650, injectors, race fuel and a BAP. Guys with the Trinity pullied on E85 with injectors making 800 (with powder metal rods too)....

Not to mention all the guys with the 2015+ 5.0s literally on the stock long block, twins or a centri and E85 making 800-900 RWHP. Never would I have thought that the S550 SVT... I mean Ford Performance Shelby's would have had such an issue with their engines.

I think the problem is, people don't drive them the way they were designed to be driven. The GT350 engine was designed for high revs, high heat and abuse. So, the cold tolerance are sloppy... you need to rev it up and dog it or it doesn't get hot enough for everything to expand and seat correctly.

While it may be anecdotal, the reason I say it is because everyone I know who babied their GT350 had massive oil consumption issues and premature engine failure.

Then there are people like me. I know more GT350 owners who revved it to 5 grand or more every gear, every day, while driving causally. I had it on the track a few times a month, hanging at 8,000+ rpms for 2 hours a day. And so did many other 350 owners I know. I don't know any of us that had oil consumption issues and only 1 guy who's engine let go due to a valve guide popping out.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the problem is, people don't drive them the way they were designed to be driven. The GT350 engine was designed for high revs, high heat and abuse. So, the cold tolerance are sloppy... you need to rev it up and dog it or it doesn't get hot enough for everything to expand and seat correctly.

While it may be anecdotal, the reason I say it is because everyone I know who babied their GT350 had massive oil consumption issues and premature engine failure.

Then there are people like me. I know more GT350 owners who revved it to 5 grand or more every gear, every day, while driving causally. I had it on the track a few times a month, hanging at 8,000+ rpms for 2 hours a day. And so did many other 350 owners I know. I don't know any of us that had oil consumption issues and only 1 guy who's engine let go due to a valve guide popping out.

I agree with this. Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Screen grab from one of my sessions. This was life for a few years.

142mph.jpg

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Interesting insight. Honestly, the GT350R should probably have had the 5.2 Voodoo only. The Base GT350 with a 5.2 Coyote variant. That probably would have kept down under utilized engines from popping on owners.

Agree, the VooDoo is designed for a hard, rough life. Should have made it available to the truly hard core road racers. Most would have been fine with the Coyote in the GT350 chassis.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Nope.

I daily my truck and don't have to worry about rain, pot holes or brake distance. I've modded the Mustang too much to where it's a track/weekend only car at this point lol.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I daily drove my '04, '10, '11, and '14 Shelbys until I finally bought an F150 then the '14 was a garage queen. The '20 has only been driven maybe 5 times since I bought it. Would never want to daily that car.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Agreed, on our Naval Minesweepers we have to stop Minesweeping, exit Minefield and conduct carbon burn runs. Enough that the entire ship is shaking from hauling ass, what little ass we had. If we didn't do that...it would be ugly. Another scenario to back up use the damn thing for more than car shows and Sunday drives.

Users who are viewing this thread