Do you ever miss RAW?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I love my GT 350, but once in a while I miss the Boss. While driving the Boss, I used to miss some of my old Mustangs that took a lot more man-handlng to keep on a line. Does anyone else miss the white knuckle sweat ride of an older Mustang?

Maybe I should get an old Fox body and make a track star out of it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
At the Track Attack in Utah there was a vintage GT350 parked next to a new one. As much as I lusted for a 60's era Shelby for many years, they were horrible in comparison to the technology we have today. Now I'd never go back.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's why I have my 98. I'm not the biggest fan of the car driving you, but you actually driving the car. I haven't driven a new 350. But I've driven a new 2016 Z06.. and it felt like a video game. I don't see myself ever selling my car, but I could see myself getting a new 350. Just for a cruising car.

Zemedici

Established Member
after having sold my modified 2015 7 months after purchase

yes, I understand exactly what you're talking about. That's why I went back to a 03 cobra.

My girls 2.9l whipple-charged 2015 makes 672, and she drives it every day.

My 03 cobra makes 619, and scares the shit out of her when she rides in it. :)

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
My '69 Mach1 feels "raw" I guess. More like a wagon with nice styling and wicked engine.

My '03 Cobra never felt "raw" to me. Felt more like a car lacking modern amenities, but decently put together for the time. I did hate driving it daily tho after the rear end was fully "upgraded" with delrin.

I've driven the C7 Z06 around the track and I was surprised how raw that car felt, especially for a modern car. And it drives really well in the street. If I could ever justify spending that much, even for a used one, I would buy one.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If it's a fun time car, raw feel is going to lead to more sensory overload.

To put it another way, a 767 goes 500mph but there aren't many enthusiast forums about how exciting commercial flight is.

That said, a gt350(and r) in full track mode with open exhaust is not a sleeping pill. It's refined to the point of isolated, but it's still visceral enough to give most all the same sensory overload, but the danger won't be there.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
If I had to pick one car, it would be the GT350. While I still do enjoy "raw" at times, I wouldnt have it as my only car.

It really depends on your driving style and needs as well. Nailing the throttle as you exit a tight corner feels 10x better in the GT350 compared to my S197

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
No. Maybe I'm getting old. To me, the balance of refinement and performance is perfect. I'm racking up miles like crazy because I don't want to drive my daily anymore.

Comparatively, my Cobra was something I drove less and less as time went on. The sacrifices in civility get old real fast. Again, I put this up to geting old. :D
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tangermean

Established Member
I think the old adage applies here.

Its much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow.

Voltwings

Established Member
Ehh, yes and no. There comes a point haha, my miata was so much fun to drive, but i imagine even just taking the GT350 to the corner store is a pretty special event.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
No. Maybe I'm getting old. To me, the balance of refinement and performance is perfect. I'm racking up miles like crazy because I don't want to drive my daily anymore.

Comparatively, my Cobra was something I drove less and less as time went on. The sacrifices in civility get old real fast. Again, I put this up to geting old. :D
I don't think it's a "getting old thing". I traded in my '03 Cobra (for a Sonata!!) at 30 years old after owning it for 6-7 years. It just gets tiresome and loses its luster, refinement is a good thing IMO.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I don't think it's a "getting old thing". I traded in my '03 Cobra (for a Sonata!!) at 30 years old after owning it for 6-7 years. It just gets tiresome and loses its luster, refinement is a good thing IMO.

True story. That's funny because I had my Cobra for roughly that long and sold it at 30.

Then for 4 years I drove a fusion and was perfectly content. I was working so much a toy seemed unnecessary. I still am, and it still is, the gt350 was a total impulse buy. I found one for sticker and went out and bought it the same day. It is a blast though, no regrets!

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
True story. That's funny because I had my Cobra for roughly that long and sold it at 30.

Then for 4 years I drove a fusion and was perfectly content. I was working so much a toy seemed unnecessary. I still am, and it still is, the gt350 was a total impulse buy. I found one for sticker and went out and bought it the same day. It is a blast though, no regrets!

Same for me. Been working about 70 hours a week for the last 3 years. At almost 4 years now, I'm also now ready to jump into something fun again.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Exhaust note is a crucial aspect to all of this.

If it's a rowdy car to drive with a quiet exhaust, it's pretty terrible to be honest.

If it's a sophisticated ride with a badass exhaust, it good.

If it's a parnelli jones time capsule with a badass exhaust and maybe some blow off valve, and wastegate sounds, well it's very fun, but not so practical.

Gt350's and gt350r's are about as good as it gets right now.

Clemson

Established Member
100000000000000000000% I dont have a 350, but pretty much all modern cars in general - I detest the way they feel to drive - as mentioned above, its like driving a video game. Yea yea they are more efficient, comfortable, better performance yada yada but so what if you dont enjoy driving it. Too much electronics, too much big brother, too much weight, nothing is actually connected to anything, its all drive by wire.....ugh.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A drive with this car on a track and this discussion is meaningless. Pick the mode most appropriate for your style or ability and drive the living crap out of it. You will exit the car as exhilarated as you have ever been in your life. Then jump on the freeway and drive it home in complete comfort. It simply doesn't get any better than this if you are a Ford fan in 2016.

CO Mack

Established Member
100000000000000000000% I dont have a 350, but pretty much all modern cars in general - I detest the way they feel to drive - as mentioned above, its like driving a video game...

That is obvious.

This car is as direct and honest a driving experience as anything I've ever owned or driven. And I still own a 92 Fox Coupe.

The Fox is an extremely compromised design with a bunch of flaws threatening to kill you (even if you've thrown away all the stock suspension and brakes as I have), but provides nowhere near the level of immediacy or sensory overload the GT350 does.

CO Mack

Established Member
Ehh, yes and no. There comes a point haha, my miata was so much fun to drive, but i imagine even just taking the GT350 to the corner store is a pretty special event.

The GT350 lets you know it is very special even driving slow. That's one of the things I like best about it.

Users who are viewing this thread