Do you have a noisy TOB?

Do you have a noisy TOB?

• Yes I have this problem

Votes: 73 42.2%
  • Yes, but it got fixed (please post how)

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • No problems

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • I don't know what a bad TOB sounds like

Votes: 16 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
As some of you know I had my clutch replaced not too long ago. The TOB started chiping about 2 weeks ago only 2 weeks after the replacement. My clutch pedal occasionally audibly shudders and will sometimes drag, but shifts fine. The installing dealer told me that this is a known problem across all Mustang platforms and a recall style fix is in the works. They annotated my vin history to show awaiting engineer fix. Additionally they were instructed to make no clutch/TOB repairs until a redesigned TOB is fielded. Just wondering if I'm alone in this. :shrug:

Last edited:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
ttt

mine squeals....push the clutch pedal in and it stops, the pedal tends to shudder sometimes...gonna take her in and have it fixed.

Last edited:

acatalon

Established Member
I went to the dearlership 02-17-03 and the ordered a kit (Clutch P/P and tob...they were on the phone with svt hotline and they provided the shop foreman with the part number. This is my second time visiting for clutch p/p prob. the first time was within the first 100 miles the day after I purchased the car. I now have 6000 miles on her.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I asked if there was a TSB or SSM related to what they were telling me. The service manager said no, the factory rep was relaying the information directly (the 'ol from the horses mouth). The rep is supposed to be coming out this week and they were going to petition for an aftermaket clutch/TOB on my behalf. Don't think it'll fly but can't hurt to ask.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
SoCalBlk03: Does your noisy throw-out bearing (TOB) sound like a whine, squeal, or rattle? Just curious...

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Mine was a squeal, dealer has replaced the TOB three times, the clutch three times, and the flywheel twice. I still have TOB squeal and going back to the dealer some time this week when I get it out of the 6ft snow drift that ate my car.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
If you approach the car @ a 45 deg angle you hear a rapid, high pitched chirping noise. Depress the clutch ever so slightly or put the car in gear and it goes away. At it's worst my clutch pedal audibly vibrates after I release it. The first time it did I thought something major broke and I even pulled over to check the car out. The car shifts just fine and gives me no reason to suspect anything except the bearing.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I had the same problem, dealer replaced just about everything between the engine and the tranny, and it's fine now. Mine didn't show up until I had about 9K on her. Fixed at 9500. Got 11 K now.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Had a noise, sounded like a belt squeal when I was around 4000 miles. Dealer had replaced the TOB. Month later, sound started up again and the second time they replaced the TOB, clutch assembly, and flywheel. They said the pressure plate was warped. Ford had instructed the dealer to verify some measurements first, then they told them to replace it. Dealer had comments that Ford is now aware of the problem with the TOB and that a technical bullentin will be released. Something like the TOB isn't capable for the 03 Cobra, that it is the same type TOB as on the GT and other standard tranmissions and it can't hold up to the power of the 03. You can contact the dealer for information and speak with the SVT service adviser if you want. It was Bankston Ford in Frisco Texas that had to deal with me and the TOB problems. My symptoms were intermittent, they would occue occasionally and when I had come to a stop and pressed in the clutch, then the squeal sound happened. When I turned off the engine and restarted, it wouldn't repeat again. It took a few weeks to be able to demonstrate the sound the first time around.
I am still very happen with my 03 but the bitching I had with the dealer is that every day it wa in the shop, was a day I couldnt drive it. Along with the quest to bump more horsepower out of it.

Last edited:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
As some of you know I had my clutch replaced not too long ago. The TOB started chiping about 2 weeks ago only 2 weeks after the replacement. My clutch pedal occasionally audibly shudders and will sometimes drag, but shifts fine. The installing dealer told me that this is a known problem across all Mustang platforms and a recall style fix is in the works. They annotated my vin history to show awaiting engineer fix. Additionally they were instructed to make no clutch/TOB repairs until a redesigned TOB is fielded. Just wondering if I'm alone in this. :shrug:

Yes, I got this same reply from one of the dealers I went to here in Arizona. Except my transmission wasnt just squeeling. It was clankking, banging, poping, shuddering, etc... sounded like an air hammer.

The one dealer said that FORD "knows" of this prob and currently do not have a fix or repair. They also gave me an entry in OASIS or whatever they call their warrenty system so that I "don't need to worry about it".

I was pissed because I can deal with the squeel prob (I had that happen for the 1st 8000 miles). But I cannot drive the car in it's condition the way it is.... its literally a clunker HA!

So I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and they said they'd drop the transmission and fix the prob (even if it means replacing the trans, clutch, flywheel, etc...). We will see what happens though since I just left it with them today.

I love my cobra but this clutch tranny prob really gets to me.:gt:

:beer:

coleman

Established Member
my tranny area's chirping & laughing at me often. but, stops when someone else is around :(

i can't describe the noise any better, but it's very annoying & i don't know if my MODs did it or not ... if not, i'd be even more angry. :mj:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Re: Re: Do you have a noisy TOB?

Originally posted by ygohome

...So I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and they said they'd drop the transmission and fix the prob (even if it means replacing the trans, clutch, flywheel, etc...). We will see what happens though since I just left it with them today.

I love my cobra but this clutch tranny prob really gets to me.:gt:

:beer:

WOW! I'm soo happy now:-D

I just got a call from my Service Rep at Pioneer Ford West in Goodyear, AZ.

They are replacing my transmission because of the retainer sleave breaking loose from the transmission. Appearantly (and Sylthetove mentioned this before in other threads) this requires replacement of the entire transmission because of how the sleave is attached to the transmission.

So they are pulling a transmission from the 03 assembly line for me and in the next week or so they tell me I will be getting my Cobra back :) :)

Very good news for me to hear!

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
my tranny area's chirping & laughing at me often. but, stops when someone else is around :(

i can't describe the noise any better, but it's very annoying & i don't know if my MODs did it or not ... if not, i'd be even more angry. :mj:

Coleman
Does your noise sound like a belt squeal or whine when you engage your clutch? My TOB noise occured randomly after I drove for a period of time. Noticed it when I drove to work and I engaged the clutch to shift into first. I couldn't hear it before because when I was driving the ehaust was too loud and the radio was blasting. When I stopped and at idle the sound happened. After I turned the engine off and then back on again the noise wouldn't happen again. Made it diffecult to duplicate the problem at the dealer and I didn't want to leave it overnight for the dealer to examine it during a roadtest.
Bankston Ford spent a lenghty time discussing with the SVT advisors about the TOB problem I had and why it occured the second time. I had even called and spoke with the SVT direct last Noember to see what they said and at that time they didn't have any past listing of the problem. They commented that the dealer must have done something wrong and have them do it over. The second time round, SVT determined that there was a possible defect surfacing and would be releasing a techical bullentin advising dealers about it. Bankston's comments was that the TOB wasn't strong enough for the 03 Cobra that it was the same TOB off a V6 or V8 std tranny. When they had to do some major part replacements I had to deal with the availability of the parts since the car was so new they didn't have replacement parts locally. It took 3 days for them to get a replacement alternator when mine went bad. Let me know if you want the service advisors contact info at Bankston. He treated me right in getting a decent loaner car when they had my Cobra overnight.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
...it makes way more noise than it ussed to. Gonna have to take it in. thanks for this thread.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
does anyone have a TSB number on this?

There is not a TSB for this yet. Ford is aware of the problems happening with the TOB and the retainer sleave.

I had the exact same squeel that you guys are describing. It would squeel when I'd push the clutch pedal in... but sometimes it would squeel even when at a stop with my foot off of the pedal.

Then the squeel went away for a few months. it came back again and was making a clanking noise that sounded like an air ratchet/hammer. The noise would change (but still there) when I'd push in on the pedal.... also got very heavy pulsating pedal and vibration through the pedal.

Well, to make a long story short... after replacing the TOB a few times and once the clank clank began happening one of the dealerships finally discovered that it was the retainer sleave all along that was causing the probs.

Please seach for the threads if interested in more info.... i think "retainer sleave" should produce the threads you looking for.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman

It's not from mods. It began happenning for me when my car was completely stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread