Do you think it is right that ALI is getting a medal of Honor?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
even though we are denying re-enlisments and kicking people out alot? the whole "blue to green" program comes to mind... also, all the services have cut the recruitment goals drastically.

Denying who's re enlistment? the 48 yrold former Marine that wants to join his son in this godly experience, or the 32 yr old with a wife and 5 kids? And
who are we kicking out? The guys who deserve to be booted for incompetence, misbehavior, or failure to advance? or the good go get em soldiers? Sure they'll always turn a few away, but do you see them turning away the young, fit, eager for a chance? It's just like picking teams why take the fat kid, and the crippled kid when ya can take the All American linebacker :??:

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
WTF?
It's not the Medal of Honor, come off of it. I can't believe this so many people going out of there way to talk crap about an old man, that could've whipped there butt back in the day. SSCOBRA03 is right look at what was happening at that time, it wasn't he was scared he was making a statement by not going, and that’s pretty funny too how he got drafted, did any other pro sports athletes or actors get drafted..................

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Denying who's re enlistment? the 48 yrold former Marine that wants to join his son in this godly experience, or the 32 yr old with a wife and 5 kids? And
who are we kicking out? The guys who deserve to be booted for incompetence, misbehavior, or failure to advance? or the good go get em soldiers? Sure they'll always turn a few away, but do you see them turning away the young, fit, eager for a chance? It's just like picking teams why take the fat kid, and the crippled kid when ya can take the All American linebacker :??:
In my experience.. in just the last 2 years, Ive seen many many outstanding, dedicated mechanics have to get out simply because they were told there wasnt room for them... not even room to cross train? One of my good friends, an E-4... he does the work that E-6/7's should be doing (as far as skill) all the management, both civilian and military, LOVE this guy. He's recieved countless letters detailing his accomplishments, yet even with all this backing... he cant re-enlist? It just sucks.
I know the program was designed to kick out the bad apples, and they have been doing a great job at that. There has been many that have been kicked out that I was very happy to see go.

Also, you said theres an enlistment problem, it seems that they cut back their goals to make the problem not seem as big... not suprising tho, war isnt fun... and its deterring all the people that would sign up purely for the education and that would refuse to fight. Which is a good idea, I was absolutley shocked to see a marine on tv, refusing to fight (about 1.5yrs ago)

I'm in no way trying to start an arguement or anything... just trying to have a friendly discussion. :)

back to the main topic... he's a civilian, give him the medal. I would be upset if he was getting a military accomidation... but he's not, so it doesnt bother me.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
04SCRMINYLWVERT said:
WTF?
It's not the Medal of Honor, come off of it. I can't believe this so many people going out of there way to talk crap about an old man, that could've whipped there butt back in the day. SSCOBRA03 is right look at what was happening at that time, it wasn't he was scared he was making a statement by not going, and that’s pretty funny too how he got drafted, did any other pro sports athletes or actors get drafted..................

Didn't Elvis go into the army? And Ted Williams was in WWII and Korea. I know what you mean though, its a good point. And I'm sure a lot of people said that they were "making a statement" by not going to war, when they were actually scared.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
No, he didn't get the Congressional Medal of Honor. He was given a Presidential Freedom Medal. Even so, I'm not sure what Ali did to promote freedom. Essentially, the Presidential Freedom medal (like so much in Washinton) is political BS.

If you really want to know WHY he got this, I'll tell you. I'm not going to try to make them some sort of BS conservative/liberal debate, that's not my intention ( I'm a moderate myself ).

He got this I am sure (IMO) because Liberals look to people for Symbols of their cause. All Ali did was box, run his mouth some, join the Racist Nation of Islam, & show up at events & speak a few words of common knowledge.

They got Ali to light the Olympic Torch in the '96 Olympics because he was the symbol of what the Liberals thought to be world unity, world peace, and all the rest of the la de friggin da BS. I remember reading that hogwash concerning the Olympics & what these liberal Gore-gasms wrote concerning him. To say the least, it was very amusing.

He is NO Rosa Parks, no MLK, he's just an etntertainer just like any other music artist, hollywood actor, or some sitcom God.

But you know America, we are a nation of stupid people who are into Celebrity Worship!
So don't be suprised when some celebrity icon wins some meaningless prize.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Ali-Bush.jpg

lol, you guys should see the video of this, probably a good thing Ali can't talk much anymore.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
SSCOBRA03 said:
You also have to take in consideration the way african americans were being treated at the time. They couldn't eat or drink at certain places but we expected them to fight for us?
Exactly. Not only that, but Ali knew the "white" America wanted that title off of his waste. Do I think he deserves a medal of honor? NO. But that's besides the point. He was the greatest boxer EVER. It's not like he dodged the draft, he served his jailtime. He believed it wasn't his war, and to be honest, it wasn't Americas war either.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
sunburned said:
Didn't Elvis go into the army? And Ted Williams was in WWII and Korea. I know what you mean though, its a good point. And I'm sure a lot of people said that they were "making a statement" by not going to war, when they were actually scared.
Elvis was catered in the Army. Do you really think they would've gotten Elvis killed in that war? HELL NO!

Users who are viewing this thread