Dodge Challenger may be just that.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I came across a website that had some SEMA info on it. Dodge has shown a vintage 1970 Challenger there but with with a modern 392 C.I. HEMI engine said to be a "2008 model year" engine. The specs say 510 HP and 510 Ft. Lb. torque. If Dodge comes out with a Challenger loosely based on the old Challenger with 510 horsepower and a 6 speed manual, that thing is going to give Ford and Pontiac a good run for their money. I guess we'll see more when the Challenger concept arrives early next year...if the rumors hold true. Maybe there is a new pony car war in the making. :thumbsup:

Squeeler92

So they're going to have a car with more HP than their flagship (the Viper) coming in at ~low-mid 30K....yea, that's really gonna happen.

If anything, it will probably be the same 6.1L Hemi they're putting in everything now....

Last edited by a moderator:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If anything, it will probably be the same 6.1L Hemi they're putting in everything now

Im really getting bored with that. They pronounce a new SRT vehicle and you automatically know the complete specs of the drivetrain and hp numbers. Mix it up a little; make it interesting!

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
IF they come out with a challenger and it looks anything like the concept drawings that were out a while back i will be first in line. :beer:
Check sig for reason why ;-)

ESVEETEE

Established Member
they could make it a pig like the GT-500 and be fine. it would go like stink in a straight line but not handle nearly as well as the viper.

for how much power a viper has, and usin a big ass V10 it is amazingly light.

Charles236

Established Member
Based on the way the Charger turned out versus the '99 Charger concept car, I wouldn't expect styling to be the Challenger's strong point. I was working in a Dodge dealership when the Charger was announced as a production car, so I went to see the general manager (an old friend from years back) to put my name on the list for the Charger. I was promised the first one off the truck, but when the production version was shown, I decided to get something else. I wish Chrysler would wake up and remember what they are selling is more than just a name.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
So they're going to have a car with more HP than their flagship (the Viper) coming in at ~low-mid 30K....yea, that's really gonna happen.

If anything, it will probably be the same 6.1L Hemi they're putting in everything now....

That could be very true, however its probably a mistake to think that Dodge is going to sit back and allow the Z06 to out perform its Viper for $20,000 less money. There have been rumors of a Hemi V10 for sometime now and this 6.4L is supposedly still 2 model years away. Viper will get a performance boost so a limited production SRT Challenger with large numbers probably isn't too far-fetched. Incidently, its been said that Chrysler still may produce the two-seat Chrysler Firepower (maybe under a different name). Perhaps the 6.4L if it does exist, will be used on different platforms.

:shrug:

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Or.. maybe they will repeat themselves and make a Granny-Ass looking 4 door, 5000lb boat that looks like a Grocery getter... put a hemi in it, and call it a charger ~~ err i mean challenger... Yea... I'm looking forward to that.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
AZSnake98 said:
Or.. maybe they will repeat themselves and make a Granny-Ass looking 4 door, 5000lb boat that looks like a Grocery getter... put a hemi in it, and call it a charger ~~ err i mean challenger... Yea... I'm looking forward to that.

Sure they could screw it up, but judging by their track record, I'd say that its unlikely. It has been strongly suggested that the Challenger will be a pony car, so unlike GM with the GTO, Dodge is likely to take aim squarely at the Mustang with a competitor. The question will be if it mechanically is a worthy competitor. I myself doubt that the top shelf Challenger will be rated at over 500 horsepower but seeing as how the current 6.1 SRT Hemi is apparently underrated, it could very well be a screamer.

As for the Charger...Dodge didn't set out to deceive anyone I don't think. It was pretty much an expected event making the Charger into a sedan. Dodge dealers wanted an LX sedan to sell and obviously the name Charger is one of the most iconic names in the Mopar bag. Factor in that the R/T Charger (let alone the SRT) is quicker than mostly any showroom stock vintage Charger and I think that makes for one heck of a 4000 lbs. grocery getter...especially when it can get mid 20s in highway fuel mileage.

My point there being that comparing the Charger to a Mustang is apples to oranges. That's always been the case even from the late 60s - early 70s. The Charger is better compared to the Ford Five-Hundred for a more appropriate Ford vs. Dodge comparison. Challenger is speculative right now, but model to model, Dodge (and Chrysler) has been very competitive against what Ford and GM have to offer. It can only be assumed that if Dodge is to build the Challenger, then they will set out to do so with a worthy competitor against Mustang on each individual sales tier with a entry V6, a V8 R/T model comparable to the Mustang GT and then a SRT Challenger with numbers similiar to the GT-500.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Charger vs. Mustang 3 words Bullitt Steve McQueen

Thats where it started :burnout:

I would like to see what ford will be coming up with to combat that damn Z06!! :-D :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
cobra_4 said:
IF they come out with a challenger and it looks anything like the concept drawings that were out a while back i will be first in line. :beer:
Check sig for reason why ;-)
Nice Challenger T/A you have! I'd love to see a new Challenger loosely based on the original, but I'm afraid they'll butcher the idea like they did with the "Charger". :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread