Does a shifter make that big of a difference?

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by KWladyka
The first time I ran this car at the track I rammed the shifter so hard attempting to go from second to third, my buddies told me that the reverse lights came on. Luckily it did not go into the gear I apparently was pushing it into.

No doubt in my mind a good shifter should be one of the first mods and definitely done before taking it to a track.

I think we are both innocent. The same thing happened to me and I know how far over reverse is...
When I came back I was told the announcer said something like 'that genius just went into reverse !' On a low 12s at about 110 run, I don't think so.:eek:
:thumbsup:
JW

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I put in a PRO 5.0 shifter over the weekend. I thought the stock shifter was fine. Wow was I wrong.

I love my Pro 5.0. Get a Steeda Tri-Ax if you want the shifter handle closer to the driver. I sit close since I'm short, so the PRO 5.0 is perfect for me.

I've heard good things about the Kirban as well.

Mike

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by Zinc03Cobra
i was curious about this too... everyone that has driven my car in the last 3 days has gone from 2nd to 5th... which isn't good, but I was thinking Pro. 5.0 because I don't want the noise that comes with steeda.

You're going to get more noise from any shifter other than stock. One of the reasons the stock shifter is so crappy is because it insulates a lot of noise. In order to do this, you also sacrifice the direct feel of the shifter and shifts.

I've also noticed an increased vibration at certain RPM's with the PRO 5.0. This is normal. Again, the pros are more direct feel, better shifts, you feel more connected to the car. The cons are vibration and noise.

Performance comes first with a car like this, noise/quietness is not a deciding factor!

Vaelin

Established Member
Actually, between my Tri-Ax base and the MGW handle with the full rubber isolator, it's as quiet as stock. But it sure as hell doesn't feel like the wet noodle stock shifter.

An 'aftermarket' shifter is ALWAYS the first mod I do to any Mustang.

eod guy

Established Member
I second what ChicagoMike said. I have the URP myself and love it. I had a kirben in my 98 GT and it was great too.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Here's the voice of disagreement.

I tried a B&M on my previous 02GT. It did shorten the throws, and made engagement "seem" more obvious. It also raises the shift effort.

On my Cobra, I decided to just live with it for a while and see what I thought. I almost have 2000 miles on the car and I seem to be coming to terms with the shifter.

If you guys had driven my 440-4 4 speed Superbird, you would have felt a sloopy shifter. Back then, even Hurst shifters weren't great.

I think once you get used to a given shifter, you are fine. If you guys ever heard Ronnie Sox row a 68 'cuda in the quarter...you'd know it's technique...not shifter.

Vaelin

Established Member
For the most part, it's very true that it's technique and getting used to a shifter..

However, an aftermarket shifter has two advantages: (1) no/low learning curve on shifting because the shift engagement isn't vague and (2) adjustability for reach; especially for those who have shorter or longer arms than Ford designers.

On non-Tremec trannies, they also have the added bonus of having shift stops to prevent you from slamming the shifter so hard you bend the shift forks. Obviously this falls under technique as well, but it basically allows a wider audience to drive these Cobras at their limits.

*edit* My personal reason: I'm a short asian guy. I need all the reach I can get. ;)

King03Cobra

Established Member
Yes, an aftermarket shifter "Does" make a big difference. You will feel the quality of those parts when you shift. I really like the Tri-ax.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Aftermarket shifter = short throws = smoother more controllable shifts = faster shifts = faster car = faster time = fast

chitowncobra

Established Member
ditto on all the above gentleman,you got to get that aftermarket shifter = FAST FAST FAST i felt like a little kid trying to learn to drive a car with a stock stick shift. now i drive like pro with the steeda tri-ax shifter!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JymBart

Established Member
Pro 5.0 & MGW Handle

I`m using the Pro 5.0 & the MGW handle, .... stock knob, ... quality parts, ...... quite as stock, . smooth as glass. A replacement shifter is "big bang" for your buck mod. You`ll wonder why you didn`t do it sooner.

JymBart

LandShark

Established Member
this was my first mod, a Pro50. When I took the car to Dearborn for the guys at SVT to look at for a problem, they IMMEDIATELY noticed the new shifter. The SVT engineer was amazed at the difference the shifter made.

He also noticed my shorty antenna mod and thought it looked great. This was my second mod, and free.:D that is the best ROI mod out there.

LS

davidmax

Established Member
I tried a bunch and the pro 5.0 most pleased me.There are tons of bennies with a good shiter weather your downshifting for the curve but you want a shifter thats precise,accurate and FUN rowing through them on a cool super charge morning.
Most of them are good I will be carrying the Hurst which will be the best around in the 150-180.00(guesstimate we alwyas thrive for best
pricing 1st time around)
Have a great week end, Right Around The corner,Dave Smilovic

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt M, PA
Here's the voice of disagreement.
I think once you get used to a given shifter, you are fine. If you guys ever heard Ronnie Sox row a 68 'cuda in the quarter...you'd know it's technique...not shifter.
I kinda like the stock shifter myself. Being 5' 8" and having the seat close is prolly an advantage.
Ronnie Sox?.......Sox and Martin?.....Ohhhhhhhh Yeaaaa:rockon: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread