Does anyone else root/jailbreak their phones?

Do you root/jailbreak your phone?

• Yes I root my android phone and run custom ROMs.

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Yes I jailbreak my iPhone.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • What the f*** are you talking about?!

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

JStyles

Established Member
So I've been wondering how many guys on here root their android phones. Or jailbreak their iPhones.

I have a galaxy nexus and have rooted and put custom roms on it since I bought it. It may be nerdy, but I figured if anyone did it, it would be guys who are into modding their cars.

So we know we all love cars and guns. Anyone else "modding" their phones out there???

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id say anyone that responds to this thread will be rooted/jb'd

I rooted my SGS3 two nights ago but now its not letting me back into cwm recovery, so I might have to do/redo it.

JStyles

Established Member
id say anyone that responds to this thread will be rooted/jb'd

I rooted my SGS3 two nights ago but now its not letting me back into cwm recovery, so I might have to do/redo it.

Haha you're probably right. I figured it would be interesting to see the responses I got.

Have you tried using twrp recovery? That is more reliable than CWM. I've been trying to convince my wife to let me root her GS3. She's not buying lol.

JStyles

Established Member
What would I gain by rooting my Droid 4?

There are a ton of things but the most notable are free wifi hotspot, being able to delete the useless apps your carrier puts on the phone, and running custom ROMs which can help the phone run faster/smoother.

There's a lot more you can do, but those are the main reasons to root.

If you plan on doing it, make sure you do your research. Many people have F'd up their phones by being careless...

TJSwoboda

Established Member
An iPhone can't be bricked AFAIK by jailbreaking it, and since buying an Apple product is like buying a car with the hood welded shut IMO there's no reason not to. It can always be restored to factory defaults later. I have my iPhone 4 jailbroken, same with my 3G before it. I have a free Wifi hotspot, scrobble my music plays to my last.fm page over the cellular network, and have other small mods in effect (like autocorrect now needs my permission to change anything). On my 3G, I could record video, something you couldn't normally do before the 3GS just because Apple said so. :kaboom:

An Android device, OTOH, can be bricked by a botched rooting, and there's less reason to root one than there is to jailbreak an iPhone. That's not to say there's no reason, just be sure you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
I jailbreak my iphone 4, Apple tv 2.
- Pandora Downloader ( no ads, unlimited skips etc.) Love it.
- 5 row springboard. i feel it fits 5 nicely
- BiteSms ( huge improvement over native messaging app)
Apple tv on the other hand
- XBMC - 1 Channel plugin or ice films. ( Any movie/ Tv show(season or episode at your finger tips for free.
My Apple TV replaced my Direct tv. now i just have the ATV and internet

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
An iPhone can't be bricked AFAIK by jailbreaking it, and since buying an Apple product is like buying a car with the hood welded shut IMO there's no reason not to. It can always be restored to factory defaults later. I have my iPhone 4 jailbroken, same with my 3G before it. I have a free Wifi hotspot, scrobble my music plays to my last.fm page over the cellular network, and have other small mods in effect (like autocorrect now needs my permission to change anything). On my 3G, I could record video, something you couldn't normally do before the 3GS just because Apple said so. :kaboom:

An Android device, OTOH, can be bricked by a botched rooting, and there's less reason to root one than there is to jailbreak an iPhone. That's not to say there's no reason, just be sure you know what you're doing.

You can still brick an iDevice.

It usually happens more often on initial releases/updates, before untethered JB/one click jailbreaks are available to the masses.

jrandy

Established Member
i am a tinkerer, so when i had my droid it was rooted with a rom. now my iphone is jb as well as my ipad.

no other way to be IMO

JStyles

Established Member
Jail broke my iphone 4. Eh was ok.
I want to root my nexus to learn but not to mess it up

It's pretty hard to brick a phone nowadays and the nexus. Check out qbking77's videos on youtube. He'll guide you through the process. Just make sure you use the method specific to your carrier (Sprint, VWZ, etc.)

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Rooted my Rezound and my past Droids. Main feature for rooting? Latest updates!

Its VERY hard to brick your phone nowadays, theres a lot of one click roots apps that do all the work for you now.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Rooted my Rezound and my past Droids. Main feature for rooting? Latest updates!

Its VERY hard to brick your phone nowadays, theres a lot of one click roots apps that do all the work for you now.

Exactly! I can't believe that VZW holds updates so danged long. I saw something about the Sprint SG3 getting 4.1 today or soon. I'm sure the VZW variant will be waiting for awhile longer, see HTC Thunderbolt's ICS update that never came. Thankfully, the devs on xda have several JB ROMs out there already.

Last edited:

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
I did when I was running Gingerbread(Android 3.X) but since the upgrade to ICS(4.0) where I can remove pre installed apps I see no need to. I don't use my phone as a wifi hotspot and don't see the need to.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Had my Moto Droid rooted and rommed for a long time.

Now I have a droid 4 and havent felt like rooting and romming. I have free wifi tether as is, and the phone works fine otherwise. It would be nice to uninstall all the BS VZW apps, but I just hide them and dont worry about it.

20redfire03

Established Member
I want to root my Droid X but I don't know anybody personally who does this so I just let my phone stay as is.

Blown 89

Established Member
I rooted my previous phone but since my Galaxy Nexus runs flawless I don't feel like touching it. Too many roms feel half baked and sacrifice stability for performance. The only thing I miss is the battery improvement and ad blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread