Does anyone make a nascar style ductail spoiler..?

101blur

Established Member
Like the title says I'm looking for a nascar style spoiler for road race use. I know RTR makes one but its been on back order for ever.
I was considering making my own but wanted to know if anyone has seen one or knows of someone that makes one already..?
thanks

chao5.0

Established Member
usually its custom per application but why would you want that style spoiler? a rear wing configuration works much better and you can usually get different styles to suit your needs/class.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Just remeber that a ducktail spoiler will have increased drag (in relation to increased downforce) when compared to a pedestal style. However, more than likely the "look" is more important than the functionality.

101blur

Established Member
usually its custom per application but why would you want that style spoiler? a rear wing configuration works much better and you can usually get different styles to suit your needs/class.

mainly its the look I like plus the APC carbon pedistal style spoilers are crazy money

Mmd makes a nice ducktail spoiler.

I have seen, it does look nice and the price is good just from certain angles it looks weird to me.

Just remeber that a ducktail spoiler will have increased drag (in relation to increased downforce) when compared to a pedestal style. However, more than likely the "look" is more important than the functionality.

mainly its the look I like plus the APC carbon pedistal style spoilers are crazy money, The car is a weekend warrior that plans to see the Road course 4-5 times a year at most.

101blur

Established Member

I thought both make drag and down force just that the higher the wing is placed the more down force it creates..?

Jabooh1

Established Member
I thought both make drag and down force just that the higher the wing is placed the more down force it creates..?

There are a few things at play when you talk rear spoiler aerodynamics. First you want to get the plane of the spoiler in laminar air flow (i.e. no turbulence from the car). Second, each spoiler will create "drag" in two ways a) the leading edge of the pedestal hitting the air and b) the low pressure behind the spoiler creates a vacuum that causes drag.

A "ducktail" will dramatically increase the rear vacuum.

The large G-Stream spoilers are high enough to get good air flow and the pedestals are thin (and rounded) so they create low drag. They are just not practical for street cars. That is why I went with the Boss Plus spoiler sold by Chicane 23 on my daily driver (sometimes tracked) Boss LS.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I would go with Jabooh's suggestion for a street car, personally I don't see any of those type of spoilers producing any type of real down force. I know Vorshlag built a clear ducktail spoiler, but it was 10" high or something and he said it wasn't real good for anything but auto x. for a open track car the pedestal wings are what is needed, I prefer the APR rear wings, they make a spec version for the S197 but I was eyeing up the GT-1000 for track days, I would just have to build a support structure in the trunk to keep it from collapsing.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Here is the wing I referrenced.
3735768C-C36D-4750-B88C-9BB0B7D3BB8B_zpsesg3poev.jpg

A30BBC40-0014-4B64-B67C-9F8A1208353C_zpsrs1jwm1i.jpg

108F37DC-FBC8-4B85-8AF1-2FFF198E3FA5_zpsnurbvyif.jpg

I have since built my own end plates that are larger.
A5986A36-CEE4-431C-B267-0C6822B0E648_zpsgxg6xixi.jpg

023DE075-7C44-4380-9E68-46551E822036_zpse6fjwiee.jpg

Still to be painted though.

101blur

Established Member
I would go with Jabooh's suggestion for a street car, personally I don't see any of those type of spoilers producing any type of real down force. I know Vorshlag built a clear ducktail spoiler, but it was 10" high or something and he said it wasn't real good for anything but auto x. for a open track car the pedestal wings are what is needed, I prefer the APR rear wings, they make a spec version for the S197 but I was eyeing up the GT-1000 for track days, I would just have to build a support structure in the trunk to keep it from collapsing.

I have been playing with some idea's for the nascar style wing I cant imagen it not suppling any down force but maybe I will try it for a little.
I do like the APR wing but they are so pricey $750.00 and up.

Here is the wing I referrenced.
3735768C-C36D-4750-B88C-9BB0B7D3BB8B_zpsesg3poev.jpg

A30BBC40-0014-4B64-B67C-9F8A1208353C_zpsrs1jwm1i.jpg

108F37DC-FBC8-4B85-8AF1-2FFF198E3FA5_zpsnurbvyif.jpg

I have since built my own end plates that are larger.
A5986A36-CEE4-431C-B267-0C6822B0E648_zpsgxg6xixi.jpg

023DE075-7C44-4380-9E68-46551E822036_zpse6fjwiee.jpg

Still to be painted though.

hmmm thanks for posting pics its pretty extreme wing too just not sure if its the look im going for.

101blur

Established Member
This is what I have been trying to develop. don't mind the cardboard it is just my template.
photo2_zps2f74246b.jpg
er/101blur2/media/photo1_zpsf3231036.jpg.html]
photo1_zpsf3231036.jpg
[/URL]

Jabooh1

Established Member
Essentially a higher angle GT500 wing???

Your design will create downforce. But it will create a LOT more turbulence and a bigger vacuum behind the car. For a pure race application you want the highest downforce with lowest drag, pedestal wing high up in laminar air flow.

Obviously you are not building a pure race car so you need to balance "look" and "functionality".

You said the APR is $750. How much would it be to fabricate a nice one-off wing like that?

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
This is what I have been trying to develop. don't mind the cardboard it is just my template.
photo2_zps2f74246b.jpg
er/101blur2/media/photo1_zpsf3231036.jpg.html]
photo1_zpsf3231036.jpg
[/URL]

I really into it. The shape and angle is good. The biggest hurdle is how to attach it to the trunk, keeping a clean transition from the rear of the car in a aesthetically easing way that doesn't look cheap or ricer.

101blur

Established Member
Essentially a higher angle GT500 wing???

Your design will create downforce. But it will create a LOT more turbulence and a bigger vacuum behind the car. For a pure race application you want the highest downforce with lowest drag, pedestal wing high up in laminar air flow.

Obviously you are not building a pure race car so you need to balance "look" and "functionality".

You said the APR is $750. How much would it be to fabricate a nice one-off wing like that?

Yea more like the rtr I would say. Well expenses looks to be around $200-250 so far cheaper then the APR wing but like you said probably not nearly as functional. And that's the hard part function and styling being its a street driven car with some track time.

This video does a much better job explaining it than I can.
http://youtu.be/TKH1DyV9vNU

Some good info there I really appreciate the info and help. Think maybe I will eventually look into a large pedstal style wing that I can remove for street life and use when I'm tracking the car.

I really into it. The shape and angle is good. The biggest hurdle is how to attach it to the trunk, keeping a clean transition from the rear of the car in a aesthetically easing way that doesn't look cheap or ricer.

Thanks yea I think my final version will be slightly less agresive.

I was looking at this one first just don't like the end peaces the three peace design. Guess I'm just being picky

Users who are viewing this thread