Dog Died Today and Want Opinions

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, my dog of 12 years died this morning while we were sleeping. He was a free dog that was lab/golden retriever mixed, and was the absolute best dog ever! I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old who were in love with their bubby. My 1 year olds first word was our dog's name and my 4 year old would sleep with him on the floor.

My question is, how long is too long to wait to get our kids a dog. I, personally don't want to get another dog for a while, but do I wait until it feels right for me? Or, do I go for it when my 4 year old says she wants another dog? Any members who've been thru this, please share your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
Losing a dog is a difficult thing to go through. I've lost a few and do not want to go through it again. I guess if you can come together as a family and talk it through it will work itself out. I don't think there is any kind of assigned grievance time that works for everyone. You and your family will know when it is time.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I'm really sorry to hear this.

My brother went through the same thing last year and they're waiting a year to get a new dog.

They didn't set a time limit but it'll be a year in the spring and they're ready. Everyone is healed and his 3 year old son wants a new buddy.

We're dog people in my family and at Christmas dinner he told me it was time.

I think when the time is right you'll just feel it.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Sorry for your loss. It's probably weird to say but I never grieved as much for a human as I have for my dogs. We lost our Golden Retriever at 7 y/o to cancer. I got GSP 2 months later and he was the best dog ever, total alpha, smart, my shadow, my best friend. He got a brain tumor at 2 y/o. I just couldn't get another dog for over a year. We got another GSP but he is my wife's dog, a momma's boy, a fairy. The first two I spent time with the litter and let the dog pick me. This one I broke my rules & took the only dog left.
My point is even though I got my 2nd dog only a few months after the 1st it was the right time. The 3rd dog, even though I waited, I forced the issue. When the right dog picks you and your family snap it up, but don't force it.

I need to have a dog in my life. My old neighbor lost their Schnauzer in the 1960's and she always said she couldn't bring herself to own another dog because of the pain. But I always thought it was a shame she passed up not opening her heart and home to another dog. Sure the grief is awful but the time with your dog is worth it.

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
It’s always tough. Every time a pet dies we always say we won’t get another because the last dog was the best. But, usually after about a year the family gets an inch for another one.

Intervention302

Established Member
Sorry for your loss...

For me, the only way to heal the pain is with another wagging tail.

When my beloved parent's minpin passed(euthanized), my fiancee an I had adopted another dog I believe only 3 months later. She said the house was just too quiet (no kids here)

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, guys. I was feeling guilty about even thinking of a different dog today. I am not one to come on forums for stuff like this, but I know there are some serious dog/animal lovers on here who don't tie their dogs to a chain with a doghouse outside and treat them like a yard ornament.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Lost my Libby Jan 6th to cancer .
She would have been 11 in May .
I have had Sharpei's since the 90's , 5 total .
I have Emma , but need that void filled , and so does Emma .
As was said , my dogs have all been great , lived every day with me , never on a chain and always slept with me , worked with me and played with me .
Truly 24 hours a day .
Looking to find another breeder , and another friend .
I am truly sorry for your loss.
I personally can not say when the right time is , I my self had a breakdown yesterday , missing my girl .
Good luck .

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Sorry for your loss. My 3 dogs are my greatest joy at this point in my life and I can't imagine life without any one of them but I've been thinking about it more and more because they are 9, 8 and 7 which isn't old and they are still very active but most likely beyond the half way point and an illness can come out of the blue. I believe one of my dogs is the same lab/golden mix as yours too.

I waited a year between my last dog and current dogs but now I ask if you plan on getting another dog then why wait? Dogs only make life more enjoyable.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
My condolences. Very difficult situation; been there numerous times.

Don't intentionally wait to get another dog, but don’t force it either. If you see a dog tomorrow and you get the overwhelming feeling that taking it home is the right thing to do, then there is no reason not to. You are not replacing your friend or the memories that you had with him, only making a new one and making sure that he/she has an awesome life; however short or long it may be.

Consider it a testament as to how much you loved your dog. If you didn’t care for having him, or loved him like you did, then there wouldn’t even be a question of getting another one; you wouldn’t.

But since he was such a fulfilling part of your life, and his of yours, the natural and obvious answer would be to afford the same love and life to the next one as soon as your heart feels Capable of doing so.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
My dog was a tough one. He survived parvo as a puppy, had a tumor the size of a softball removed between his front shoulders, he had a toe amputated due to cancer; lost a k9 tooth in a fight that happened very unexpectedly and survived another 3 months to stay with us after we found out he was sick with liver issues. Roush was a tough one.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Take solace in the fact that your buddy was lucky enough to find an owner like yourself and likely had a great life. Not all dogs out there have / had it that good.

IMO, It is never too soon to give another animal a chance at a great life and earning your affection.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, guys. I was feeling guilty about even thinking of a different dog today. I am not one to come on forums for stuff like this, but I know there are some serious dog/animal lovers on here who don't tie their dogs to a chain with a doghouse outside and treat them like a yard ornament.

The loss will be filled with another dog. You will always have that pain of loss, but a new dog will speed the grieving process. Good luck and post a picture of your new pup when you get one.

Users who are viewing this thread