Dog Died Today and Want Opinions

Sn95Snake

Established Member
"Once you've had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."

True words. I say grieve briefly and get another, but that's me. We're all different. I knew it'd be very rough on my wife after our Dobe died so I got our current dog as his replacement beforehand. She had a dog she loved to help her grieve. Now with the new house we have 3 dogs so it's a non-issue.

This is exactly what I would do to help easy the grieving process. I would also hate not having a dog as a friend in my life.

Coosawjack

Established Member
DSCN5986.jpg
My "Rescue Pup" Bud E. Bear says there are NO RULES.....JUST DO IT!!;)

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
We had Roush (our dog) creamated. It was too cold and the ground was too hard to bury him. My daughter won't put his urn down. She had to sleep with it next to her last night.

You guys have helped tremendously with the thoughts I've had on waiting or looking at the next pup as a replacement. I think my Daughter needs a pup soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
I’ve lost 4 dogs in my life (one just a few weeks ago). 2 were pains in the asses, 2 were such good dogs it was like having another human in the house with you.

You’ll know when it’s time to get another one.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I can't answer your question, but I just want to offer my most sincere condolences. Losing a good family dog has to be tough. We have no kids, just our dog; I can't freaking imagine what it would do to me if I were in your shoes (although I know it's coming eventually).

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Personally I think getting another dog is a sign of good faith to the one that passed.

When the day comes in the distant future where my family faces such a hard moment in life, I know that in her memory I would adopt another puppy that needed to be rescued- just like my girl now. She's been a great dog and without a doubt has cemented a dogs place in our family for a long time. Getting another puppy won't be replacing her. It's without a doubt a compliment to how important she was to our life, and that we believe in saving innocent lives and giving them a home.

BYEPOLR

Established Member
I'm so very sorry. I'm definitely in the camp that treats dogs like a part of the nuclear family. I've been in this position before and I can say what worked best for ME was to move quickly on getting a new puppy. NOT a replacement, but it does infuse immediate joy

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry for your loss. I dread the day my big girl Sadie passes away. It's our first dog, she's a beagle and will turn 12 in March.

We felt selfish and never thought she would want a sister. About 1 1/2 years ago we found her sister Addy at a rescue. She's a beagle/dachshund mix and was only about 4-5 months old when we got her. We thought maybe it would help keep Sadie younger.

I wish we would have gotten a second dog sooner. We have no choice but to get another dog for Addy when Sadie passes away.

I say get another one sooner than later.

IMG_20180123_112838104_HDR_zpsqsrexrto.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread