Dog people, help please!

Calebp

Established Member
I have a Norwegan Elkhound, Madison.
dog.JPG

Recently she has cracked of her toenails like so:
(Imagine this is the underside of the toenail)
nail.JPG

Now, she'll be scratching behind her ear with her back paw, with the crack in the nail, and sometimes she'll get some fur wedged in it and her paw will get stuck behind her ear, tugging on her fur. It kinda sounds funny, but it isn't. I've never heard a cry like this in all the 12 years I've had her.

I can't clip the nail, and I can't remove the broken part because I don't want to damage the quick. It would really, REALLY hurt her, and she'd bleed everywhere. I'd take her to a vet or something but I am broke until next month.My dog is more important to me than anything in the world, and she's hurt herself like 4 times this way. Really frustrating. Each time it happens, I get scissors or a sharp knife as fast as I can to cut the fur, but she yanks it out before I can get it all. It's just a mess.
Does anyone know what to possibly do as a cheap remedy?? Do they have caps for nails or something?

Calebp

Established Member
Think she'd try to eat it or chew it? I dunno how healthy that would be, but if I can't find another solution, that'll have to do.

Last edited:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
You could call the vet and ask them if they know any home remedies maybe. They probably see this all the time and might know some tricks.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Get some quick drying epoxy and glob it on here and hold her still until its completly dry. I know they have AT LEAST 2 minute epoxy. You can get it almost anywehre for a few bucks. Might help seal the nail together until it grows out enough to clip it.

Jake

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
When my boxer had his ears clipped the vet told me to put socks on his hind paws and tape them tight so they wont fall off. The socks kept his nails from digging into his ears so they could heal. I think thsi would work for you. Besides, they look funny as hell running around with socks on their back feet!! The laugh alone is worth it!

03DOHC

Established Member
It doesn't matter if you are broke. When you get a pet you have taken it upon yourself to make sure its needs are met. I would take out a small loan and get it to a doctor. You should have some type of emergency money for cases like this. Is it fair to the dog that it should suffer?

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
My lil fella has the same problem....His usually happens in the middle of the night, awakening to that "sound" (you know which one) is HORRIBLE! With him, it usually heals on it's own, but it's normally cause because i don't cut his nails like i should.

#1 you won't have this problem if you trim the nails (i am still trying to learn this)
#2 i would not pick at it or try to cut below the quick. You could try some of the glue or tape remedies, but i would imagine the dog will try to eat/chew it.

Just keep it's nails cut on a regular basis, and always cut it as close to the quick as possible. The quick will actually shrink over time if you keep it trimmed.

Good luck!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You could try some quick CA glue. Only apply it to the nail, it will be very hard, very quick.

You can get this at your loca hobby shop.

bchisom99

Established Member
this has happened to my dog a few times, little 25lb pug and we can't cut his nails to save our lives,, theres some stuff you can get at a pet store, I don't know what its called but you get a little on the end of a q-tip and get it wet and dab it on the bleeding and it stops immediatly, I know its gonna hurt her alot, but if you can cut off the part thats hanging, then glob some of this crap on there, it heals them up pretty quick...

next step for us in getting the nails cut is getting him knocked out cold, I can put him on 3 times the perscribed dose of tranq's and he still snaps out of it when we touch his nails, so I know what your going through....

dsroten

Established Member
That liquid bandaid stuff is basically superglue. Get some of that and seal it up. Hardens up quick too.

Calebp

Established Member
03DOHC said:
It doesn't matter if you are broke. When you get a pet you have taken it upon yourself to make sure its needs are met. I would take out a small loan and get it to a doctor. You should have some type of emergency money for cases like this. Is it fair to the dog that it should suffer?

No, it's not fair. That's why I'm trying to fix it as quick as possible. I should have some emergency money, that's a good idea. And when I say broke, I mean way in debt broke. I have many many bills to pay, and about 50 dollars to last until June.

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Well if nothing else this will hopefully teach you a lesson on why not to live beyond your means. I know when I was down and out that there were many many days that I ate ramen noodles and wish sandwiches so I could afford to buy flea medicine and food for my dogs.

Try superglue or a fast drying epoxy first. Check it every few days and add a new layer of glue as needed. Rough up the smooth surface of the nail with some sand paper first to get a really good grip with the first layer of glue. Make it a full cap over the end of the nail too.

If you don't want to do that get a sock to make a little bootie for the paw in question. It will take a while for the nail to grow out regardless and this may be more of a PITA than glue considering that.

Don't use tape, electrical, duct, or otherwise. Tape will NOT stay and the edges will roll and the adhesive will eventually become exposed. This will then lead to fur being pulled out and sticking to the adhesive.

As far as keeping the nails short I would recommend using a file rather than clippers. Especially of the nails are black and you can't see the quick. With a file you have far more control and can take off a smaller amount of nail. It will take a bit longer but it is much safer.

Users who are viewing this thread