Doing springs on my 12 GT and ran into a snag

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I'm installing lowering springs on my 12 GT. I went to torque the strut-to-spindle bolts to 166ft. lbs. and found my torque wrench only goes up to 150ft. lbs. You guys think I'm cool on being 16ft lbs short? Or should I go looking for a wrench that goes higher? In other news my new wheels and tires from AM have the wheel weights in the wrong spot and the caliper knocked them off when I was test fitting them.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I'm installing lowering springs on my 12 GT. I went to torque the strut-to-spindle bolts to 166ft. lbs. and found my torque wrench only goes up to 150ft. lbs. You guys think I'm cool on being 16ft lbs short? Or should I go looking for a wrench that goes higher? In other news my new wheels and tires from AM have the wheel weights in the wrong spot and the caliper knocked them off when I was test fitting them.

i went with german torque settings on mine, goodentight. Im sure your good. just check them every now and again and make sure they are not loosening

dumbstixlars

Established Member
i went with german torque settings on mine, goodentight. Im sure your good. just check them every now and again and make sure they are not loosening

Since I'm going to have to run my stock wheels and tires a little longer. :cuss: I'll check them again when I have the fronts off to swap on the new wheels.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

that seems like a lot of torque for those strut to spindle bolts.. you sure it's that much? When i did mine, i did not use that much torque.. from what i can remember

RFM50

Established Member
I wouldn't sweat it. I have always done all of my vehicles suspension by hand and have never had a problem. Just check them once in a while.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
that seems like a lot of torque for those strut to spindle bolts.. you sure it's that much? When i did mine, i did not use that much torque.. from what i can remember

It's what the FSM calls for. The old spec was 148ft lbs before they started installing the revised bolts. In more other news, my BMR panhard looks like it wasn't built right.

2s1u4k6.jpg

My new axle back sounds sweet though!

twistedneck

Established Member
I only impact torqued mine down.. and that was with a weak harbor freight electric gun. I plan on checking them when i rotate the wheels since its easy. The thing that comes loose more often is the stabar link bolts. Those need to be tight due to the shear joint between link and strut.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I only impact torqued mine down.. and that was with a weak harbor freight electric gun. I plan on checking them when i rotate the wheels since its easy. The thing that comes loose more often is the stabar link bolts. Those need to be tight due to the shear joint between link and strut.

Yeah I hit those to spec. They "should" be fine.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I got a BMR panhard a few weeks ago with no sleeves too :cuss:

They were on back order for a while. I'm assuming the guys doing the building were rushing and they slipped past. Did you get yours sorted out? Sucky part was I didn't realize what was up until I had gone through the trouble of removing my stock bar. So I had to reinstall it. :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread