DON'T BUY CHEAP INTERCOOLERS: my personal PSA video... lol

TheSVTKid

Established Member
Ok, so this post (and video) have nothing to do with my day job.
But, this was something I was helping a friend out with,...figured I would share.

Now the back story....

My friend has a 2v mustang...and for a while has been fighting "belt slip" and "tensioner problems" while not really making much rwhp. Even going to the extremes of having his blower upgraded and converting to an 8 rib drive.

So obviously a good amount of money has been spent trying to make more power with this car. Well, finally I get my hands on the car when it comes time to re-tune it....

First thing I noticed, the car doesn't like the "normal" amount of timing I would run.

Second thing I noticed, the car doesn't make near the "expected" boost for the amount of blower speed it has.

So without doing another pull on the dyno, its time to do the easiest check in the world. HOW MUCH BACK PRESSURE is the intercooler creating?

Why is this test easy?
Well because it doesn't involve any fancy sensors, just a simple pressure gauge.

Why is this test important?
Well because let's say for ever psi of boost you make = 10 degrees increase.
So if your intercooler is causing an 11psi restriction. It has now created 110 degrees of temperature that it needs to cool down.

If it's causing MORE temp and load then it's curing, well then whats the point of it? That is the "internet question of the day" :)

Hope you all enjoy my crude, joke around video....
Subscribe if you want to see my next one on how Dyno's can LIE!!!!

TClark22

Established Member
I can't handle all the facts! lol as I've said before, Good video. It definitely makes me question my own intercooler choice. We've already chatted but I'm intrigued enough to wanna test my "T" brand intercooler.

TheSVTKid

Established Member
I can't handle all the facts! lol as I've said before, Good video. It definitely makes me question my own intercooler choice. We've already chatted but I'm intrigued enough to wanna test my "T" brand intercooler.

Thank you kind sir...

How long before we have after results? Did you take any IATs before and after intercooler setup?

Yes, and yes.

I was planning on doing it this weekend. But frankly I don't get many weekends off, so I decided this weekend I am going to ride my KTM, and enjoy a few of my "toys" for once. LOL.

So next week I will finish up the filming of the 3 way shoot out. :)

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
What's your YouTube channel? That link plays it automatically for me so I can't see any info

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

einehund

Established Member
Something I've done on my wife's Focus ST is mount bosses in the intake and exhaust pipes of her aftermarket intercooler and put in temp sensors, so i can see the actual temp drop live. I've then tried out different IC's and there is a difference between brands. Good info in the vid!

Users who are viewing this thread